Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 4th February 2012, 13:01   #1
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

RFI: Breeding ecology of Brown Wood Owl

I am writing a paper about the first breeding records of Brown Wood Owl Strix leptogrammica ticehursti in Hong Kong. Despite having three breeding records (an abandoned chick and two fledged juveniles over three years) no nest has ever been found and I am therefore trying to put together a timetable to work out the age of the birds and roughly estimate when the eggs are laid, the chicks hatch, fledge and leave the nest.

The only paper I can find comes from Sri Lanka

www.pdn.ac.lk/cjsbs/text/text35.16.pdf.

This helps to some extent, but does not fill all the gaps, so I am looking for additional sources of information or expertise.

In addition to the two sight records and numerous calls I have also referred to the following paper about the captive rearing and subsequent radio tracking of the abandoned chick mentioned above:

http://www.kfbg.org.hk/content/87/24...rt_2011Nov.pdf

Any pointers to additional sources or to experts on this species would be most welcomed.

Many thanks

Mike Kilburn
Vice Chairman Hong Kong Bird Watching Society
Latest Lifer: Spectacled Spiderhunter, Rufous-backed Kingfisher
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: