Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 5th October 2012, 19:37   #26
eenymac

It's currently appearing on UK retailer sites priced at 5,999 .....ouch!
I'll wait and see how any reviews go and if it comes down (a lot?) in price before even considering it. The Sigma 500mm F4.5 is available at around 3,750, a price drop recently so I wonder if it is getting an update soon. It sure does present a very good alternative to the Pentax long glass though, although I still can't see meyself getting the credit card out. I'll keep buying the lottery tickets in the meantime!
Old Saturday 6th October 2012, 00:53   #27
Hor Kee
Penang birder

Does this lens have a SWD motor? If not the Sigma 500mm looks like a steal! If Sigma updates this lens with HSM, it would be a killer!
Old Saturday 6th October 2012, 17:34   #28
eenymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hor Kee View Post
Does this lens have a SWD motor? If not the Sigma 500mm looks like a steal! If Sigma updates this lens with HSM, it would be a killer!
I wonder, if Sigma does update the 500mm F4.5, will it even be available any longer in Pentax mount? Many updated lenses are no longer available in Pentax fit, which is a great shame as there seem to be plenty of Pentax users wishing they were.
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 09:10   #29
Malcolm Stewart

WEX & SRS are now listing it at 6,000.

The recently reviewed K5 II with its mass of weather seals does seem attractive for a birding APS-c body, but I'll be sticking with Canon where there's a range of birding lenses, and more affordable used equipment around as well.
Old Saturday 12th January 2013, 12:22   #30
Hor Kee
Penang birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Stewart View Post
WEX & SRS are now listing it at 6,000.

The recently reviewed K5 II with its mass of weather seals does seem attractive for a birding APS-c body, but I'll be sticking with Canon where there's a range of birding lenses, and more affordable used equipment around as well.
Pity, 'coz Pentax is the only company apart from Canon that makes an autofocus 400mm 5.6 with in-body SR too. Great 'lil lens, but no longer in production. Makes me wonder why Pentax decided to abandon so many of its FA* autofocus lenses from the film era, the diversity of which easily rivaled Nikon and Canon!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: