Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 16:59   #1
tich62

peregrine falcon on liverpool cathedral

was just wondering if anyone knows if the peregrines have been nesting here,isaw them there a few years ago but dont think they ever raised chicks there.i drove passed yesterday on the off chance,as soon as i pulled over in the car,i spotted one of the peregrines perched and a second flew on to the cathedral.it would be nice to think the birds are nesting there,i used to what the pair up by the docks and the pair in birkenhead,will pay another visit over the weekend.
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 18:17   #2
Allen S. Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tich62 View Post
was just wondering if anyone knows if the peregrines have been nesting here,isaw them there a few years ago but dont think they ever raised chicks there.i drove passed yesterday on the off chance,as soon as i pulled over in the car,i spotted one of the peregrines perched and a second flew on to the cathedral.it would be nice to think the birds are nesting there,i used to what the pair up by the docks and the pair in birkenhead,will pay another visit over the weekend.
Which cathedral?

Aye, and welcome to the forum!

Allen

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 17:40   #3
tich62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen S. Moore View Post
Which cathedral?

Aye, and welcome to the forum!

Allen
They are on the anglican cathedral,i went again today and they were there again so i gather they are there all the time am going to go down later in the week to see if i can see someone about them,it would be nice if there was a platform built for them like in some other places,derby cathedral etc.there is no chance anyone can disturb the birds there are cameras everywere,that is why i am saying were it is,before anyone says i shouldnt be saying were they are and i am sure the cathedral are aware that the birds are there,i will be spending a lot more time down there from now on,lets hope we have some more breeding peregrines in liverpool.
Old Thursday 16th February 2012, 16:54   #4
Mal Taylor

Quote:
They are on the anglican cathedral,i went again today and they were there again so i gather they are there all the time am going to go down later in the week to see if i can see someone about them,it would be nice if there was a platform built for them like in some other places,derby cathedral etc.there is no chance anyone can disturb the birds there are cameras everywere,that is why i am saying were it is,before anyone says i shouldnt be saying were they are and i am sure the cathedral are aware that the birds are there,i will be spending a lot more time down there from now on,lets hope we have some more breeding peregrines in liverpool.
Hi

They have nested before on the Anglican Cathedral that I know of, and one young Peregrine was rung. This was quite a few years ago. At least 10 years ago I think. I am not sure about recent history though. They nest in Birkenhead, and elsewhere in Liverpool too.
Old Friday 17th February 2012, 15:11   #5
tich62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Taylor View Post
Hi

They have nested before on the Anglican Cathedral that I know of, and one young Peregrine was rung. This was quite a few years ago. At least 10 years ago I think. I am not sure about recent history though. They nest in Birkenhead, and elsewhere in Liverpool too.
yes mal,i was down there today,the first time a seen them there was about 1996,so i gather they have been there since then,i was talking to someone from the cathedral today,he said they had 2 chicks last year,the rspb are aware that the birds are there and there are cameras everywere,infact the girl that was manning the cameras today showed me shots of the nest site,the only negative,to this story,is that the peregrines have killed the kestrals that were nesting there,at one time there was 2 breeding pairs that i new of.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2012, 15:22   #6
DawnCall74

Quote:
Hello Tich62, not sure if they will nest they seem pretty settled so hope so. I watch them most mornings on my way to work. Iv been a keen birdwatcher for 40 years and have never seen peregrine so feel privileged to watch them. Fascinating animals and a majestic building.. I look forward to my walk to work now!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: