• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS vs Panasonic Lumix FZ150 (1 Viewer)

Hi jmepler, I use the FZ150 because its a faster and more versatile camera, which I think is important in shooting birds. It has faster burst rates and supposedly faster auto focus, but I can't measure that. It also has more control over shutter speed, which will make a huge difference between blurry wings and wings that are clear. One of the negative points of the Canon is that the highest burst rate of 8fps is only available via the "scene" mode and I think that means you can't adjust shutter speed etc when you're in that mode. It will also only give you 8 frames at that rate, the FZ150 will give you 12 frames at 12 fps, 100 frames at 5fps, with full autofocus between those 5fps. The Canon simply can't do that. Where the Canon shines is in the massive zoom. If you are planning to take mainly static shots of birds sitting on branches, it would be the better option, but if you are looking for a bit of action the FZ150 it the one to go for.

I'm considering the purchase of a super zoom camera and I have narrowed the field to either the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS or the Panasonic Lumix FZ150

Other than price ($380 vs $430 vs ) and a slightly longer zoom (840mm vs 600mm equivalent) is there any reason to buy the Canon over the Pansonic?

Mike

I've been researching these two camera models as well, and from the reviews
that I've read, it seems that the FZ150 has the cutting edge.

I could PM the two review links to you, if you want. Very well done and detailed.

My next step forward is to purchase one.

Last edited:
If you are planning to use the cam at full zoom or near, concentrate in the reviews on the performance at this range.
This has put me off a few compact, (bridge) - zooms

There is also the HS20 and now the HS30

There are usually good video reviews on Utube which are worth watching

Good luck

I think that I read just about every review available online and I decided on the FZ150.

It has was delivered yesterday. I have not had a chance to put it to a real test outdoors yet but it was quite impressive in the shooting that I did indoors. The burst mode is amazing for a camera of this price range. I can see that being useful for shooting birds in flight. It does have a lot of features that I will probably never use. I will post again once I have used it more.

Mike

I think that I read just about every review available online and I decided on the FZ150.

It has was delivered yesterday. I have not had a chance to put it to a real test outdoors yet but it was quite impressive in the shooting that I did indoors. The burst mode is amazing for a camera of this price range. I can see that being useful for shooting birds in flight. It does have a lot of features that I will probably never use. I will post again once I have used it more.

Mike

Hi Mike, I think you have done the right thing and am sure you won't be disappointed with the purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back