• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua Cruise - 8 September 2012 (1 Viewer)

Count me in! If it's a quarter as good as last year it'll be a good 'un.

I thought some of the earlier dates often produced more interesting birds, so wouldn't one of the Saturday trips on 8th or 15th September be a better bet? I realise not everyone can do a Saturday, but if the majority can, why not plump for an earlier date?

I thought some of the earlier dates often produced more interesting birds, so wouldn't one of the Saturday trips on 8th or 15th September be a better bet? I realise not everyone can do a Saturday, but if the majority can, why not plump for an earlier date?

It's a toughie because we had a bloody good cruise last time on 4th(?) but the land-based birding afterwards was almost non-existent.

Can probably do a Sat though if needs be, though, so open to the majority vote.

Twas the 4th Pete and a thoroughly enjoyable cruise it was too. Waited nearly 30 years to get a Sab's. Way too many hours seawatching the Irish Sea trying to string juv Kittiwakes

my vote is for the 15th simply because i can have my birtday present 2days after my birthday then rather than 10days late.

the one we did on the 4th last year was supposedly a bumper haul of birds

Im easy, but would prefer a Saturday if possible as no doubt Sunday one will clash with one of our rspb wildlife explorer events!

I'm totally easy on which date, just as long as one is chosen soon. If we do decide on a different date to the thread title then we'll need a mod to alter the title.

Well done Keith for getting the thread renamed. Any 9.00 start is preferred to allow post-cruise flagrant twitching as far as I'm concerned

For no particular reason other than it is the closest date to last year's stonker I'll propose the 8th of September. However, skua action may be better later on. In other words, I haven't got a clue. I'll go with the flow. The only proviso is that I would like some good afters

if there's easterlies one of the Spurn regulars told me that early Sept is the best time for unusual/interesting species turning up on the coast

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back