Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 19:28   #1
hennygal

Sugar water...boil or not?? Cloudy sugar water!

I have always boiled my sugar water and have never had it cloudy, but this year it turns cloudy as soon as I put the sugar in the water. I usually boil for one minute, but since it was cloudy I boiled it for two, but it is still cloudy. I have not seen any hummers yet and I wonder if it is because my sugar water is cloudy??? I have seen a downy at the feeder, but no hummers. I put some sugar in cold water and stirred it up and it did not turn cloudy. I know my pan is rinsed free of soap so I have no idea why I have this problem. Anyone have any ideas???
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 19:48   #2
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Nah, that shouldn't make any difference. Even though it's been proven that boiling the water is unnecessary as the minute the hummer puts their beak in the feeder hole, it has become contaminated but I still boil the water separately and then add the sugar in and stir. I've never boiled it with the sugar in the water.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya
BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 22:07   #3
hennygal

KCFoggin, does your water turn cloudy when you add the sugar to the water? Mine never did until this year.
Old Friday 20th April 2012, 00:05   #4
Bird_Bill

Have a water softener added recently by chance?
Wouldnt want to drink or use for nectare. Usually has excessive sodium and could result in cloudiness.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Friday 20th April 2012, 00:18   #5
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

No, it doesn't but like I mentioned earlier, I don't boil the water with the sugar in it.

Comes right back at ya
Old Saturday 21st April 2012, 05:06   #6
SqlGuy

Here is a simple test: let the jar stand, in the room or in the refrigerator. If it clears up after 15 minutes or so, it's just the air bubbles in the water from the dissolved sugar. Are you mixing at the recommended 4 parts water, 1 part granulated white sugar, by volume? If so, and your water is drinkable, it's not a problem.

If your nectar gets cloudy a few days after mixing, that would be mold, and it should be thrown away, and cleaned better and more frequently. Mold can develop even in refrigerated nectar.

Boiling is necessary only if it's necessary to boil your own drinking water.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 23:06   #7
hummer520

This is very interesting. It does sounds as though you need to be careful not to hard the birds. If I were you I would get my water tested for personal health reasons. If you are doing everything the way you always do them, the problem might be your water.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 22:04   #8
Backyard Sanctuary

I find boiling the water makes it easier to dissolve the sugar granules. I add boiling water to to sugar. I then add cold water to cool it down before adding to a one gallon plastic container that I place in the refrig until a few hours before use. It is only when I add the cold water to the hot nectar solution do I get clouding, but it soon clears leaving a very faint brownish yellow tint to the solution which I am told is due to the sugar not being ultra refined.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 19:28   #9
alexpk321

On this question of boiling the nectar I would be very interested if anyone has any scientific evidence that this is necessary. From reading forums here and elsewhere it seems some people boil the nectar, some people just boil the water but not with the sugar in it, and some people don't boil anything. I personally boil the water but not with the sugar in it, and i keep the water stored in a plastic container on my counter for a few weeks and use that to make nectar with. I'd hate to think anything i'm doing could harm a bird but if someone thinks so, i'd like to know why. Nectar you prepare contains some bacterial right from the start because bacteria are all over the place, including in the air, so you don't need the bird's tongue to touch it to be "contaminated" it already was. As for bacterial spores, some types need to be boiled more than 2 minutes to kill them, that's why to can food there are particular time schedules. So i'm doubting any boiling is necessary, I just do it because i read you're "supposed to." i'm also doubting the prepared nectars are bad for birds. But again, if anyone has any evidence i'd like to hear it. thanks :-)

Last edited by alexpk321 : Saturday 28th April 2012 at 19:31.
Old Sunday 29th April 2012, 02:43   #10
Tz'unun
Featherless Biped

One reason that people swear by boiling as a means of slowing spoilage might be that boiling a sugar solution for the recommended two minutes is going to make it more concentrated, and sweeter solutions retard the growth of microorganisms. Of course, making it too concentrated (>25% sugar by weight) creates a new set of problems, including crystallization, inefficient feeding due to increased viscosity, and potential dehydration of the birds in very hot weather (hummingbirds need lots of water to stay cool just like we do).

I boil mainly to dissolve the sugar dissolve more quickly - just a couple of minutes in the microwave - but have recommended boiling the solution when problems with premature spoilage were not remedied by thorough cleaning and disinfection of the feeder and/or switching to name-brand sugar from store-brand/generic (which often contains more dust and other impurities than the name brands).

Skeptics about potential harm from commercial "nectars" (the colored ones, at least) should read this article, complete with citations from the medical literature:

Should I Add Red Dye to My Hummingbird Food?

The colorless products are mainly bad for your bank account and the environment, being outrageously overpriced and overpackaged.
BF Supporter 2005
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 19:19   #11
Backyard Sanctuary

Anyone having trouble getting to the website in Tz'unun's post?

I am one of those who believes red dye is not necessary as nature's nectar is clear. Why add something that adds no value to the hummingbirds diet? We humans know all to well about useless and harmful additives in our foods. No sense doing the same to our feathered friends diet. If you are looking to attract hummingbirds and you want more red to advertise your feeder tie a big red bow or ribbon near your feeder. I would remove it once the hummingbirds have discovered your feeder. Funny thing is hummingbirds seem to find feeders no matter the color.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Saturday 5th May 2012, 20:43   #12
Tz'unun
Featherless Biped

Apologies to anyone having problems with the link. The original site is gone, so I have to link to an archived version of it (which may take a few seconds to load).

In talking to people about feeder solutions, I used to repeat Nancy Newfield's anti-dye mantra "unnatural and unnecessary," but I found that people who like the look of a colored solution tend to interpret "unnecessary" as "optional." That's when I went searching for scientific evidence on the issue. There turned out to be quite a lot, much of it scarier than I had imagined. At the link, my friend and colleague Stacy Jon Peterson summarizes the ramifications for hummingbirds and cites the relevant peer-reviewed articles for those who prefer to form their own opinions.
BF Supporter 2005
Old Monday 7th May 2012, 20:57   #13
Backyard Sanctuary

I finally was able to read the red dye info in the archive weblink. Very interesting.
BF Supporter 2012
Old Wednesday 6th June 2012, 16:52   #14
crewl1

I do not boil my water any longer and rely instead on more frequent feeder changes and cleanings. The water I use comes from the tap via a PUR water filter and appears clear after the 4/1 mix process. I run 4 small feeders and only fill to about half (one cup) and once in a while one will turn cloudy possibly due to contamination from insects. I just quickly clean and replace the mix. Boiling seems like unnecessary overhead since my feeders empty rather quickly here in Southern California.
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 21:12   #15
dubaron
getting started

one of my varied interests is beekeeping. as such, i have to mix up a good amount of sugar syrup for my hives. the goal is to dissolve all the sugar in the water without making rock candy starter. to do that, i bring the required amount of water to a very light boil, remove it from the heat, and then slowly mix in the required amount of sugar stirring until fully dissolved. it's a slow process when you are using a 5 pound bag of sugar making a thick winter syrup, but for hummingbirds it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the sugar fully dissolved. you have to make sure you get all the sugar dissolved, otherwise as the water evaporates out, crystals will form and that is no good for the birds.

i filled up my hummingbird plate feeder this morning with a 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water ratio and it seems to have been popular.

Last edited by dubaron : Thursday 7th June 2012 at 21:15.
Old Thursday 7th June 2012, 21:16   #16
KCFoggin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewl1 View Post
I do not boil my water any longer and rely instead on more frequent feeder changes and cleanings. The water I use comes from the tap via a PUR water filter and appears clear after the 4/1 mix process. I run 4 small feeders and only fill to about half (one cup) and once in a while one will turn cloudy possibly due to contamination from insects. I just quickly clean and replace the mix. Boiling seems like unnecessary overhead since my feeders empty rather quickly here in Southern California.
Actually, the minute a hummer inserts it's beak into the feeder the solution is somewhat contaminated. Another argument for not boiling.

Comes right back at ya
Old Friday 15th June 2012, 15:13   #17
allamericanbird

Don't Use Artificial Red Dye

FD&C Red #40 is 2-naphthalenesulfonic acid, 6-hydroxy-5-((2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo)-, disodium salt, and disodium 6-hydroxy-5-((2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo)-2-naphthalenesulfonate.

Yummmm! (Lots of sarcasm there!)

It's no longer made from Coal Tar, now just from Petroleum.
Not suitable for bird or human.

If you want a red color, then use beet juice or another natural food color.
Old Friday 15th June 2012, 15:15   #18
allamericanbird

P.S. - My source of chemical name and composition was Wikipedia.
Old Friday 13th July 2012, 14:49   #19
JMomOhio

Me and my stepdaughters are having the same problem! I've been making my nectar the same way as I have for years...........hottest tap water I can get, no boiling, but our nectar is still clouding up. I wonder if a chemical has been added to the sugar that is causing this???
Old Friday 17th August 2012, 14:12   #20
PumaMan

I just mix up sugar (the cheapest generic store brand pure cane sugar) and water, at approx 1:4 ratio. I make it a bit stronger in the winter so that the freezing point is a tad lower. The final solution is never crystal clear but I can easily see thru a half gallon container of it. I'm no hummingbird expert but I've been feeding them for quite a few years now, religiously, and I've never boiled the solution. The hummers don't seem to mind. But I also refill and clean the feeders every 2-4 days (depending on the season). The Aspect Hummzinger feeders are so easy to clean that I do that every time I refill.
Old Friday 17th August 2012, 19:56   #21
emoxley

I don't necessarily boil my water, but I do heat it until I notice smoke/steam rising from it (before boiling point). I remove it from the heat and immediately add the sugar and stir. I do this because hot water dissolves the sugar better. Ever tried to add sugar to iced tea in a restaurant? It won't dissolve very well. Once it cools, I have three feeders that I divide it to. The birds love it..........
Old Friday 17th August 2012, 21:25   #22
nikiapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennygal View Post
I have always boiled my sugar water and have never had it cloudy, but this year it turns cloudy as soon as I put the sugar in the water. I usually boil for one minute, but since it was cloudy I boiled it for two, but it is still cloudy. I have not seen any hummers yet and I wonder if it is because my sugar water is cloudy??? I have seen a downy at the feeder, but no hummers. I put some sugar in cold water and stirred it up and it did not turn cloudy. I know my pan is rinsed free of soap so I have no idea why I have this problem. Anyone have any ideas???
If all the variables are the same as in the past (water, white sugar, pan) you might just have to experiment to see which of these elements are causing the sugar to become cloudy and stay that way. Usually when you make a sugar solution and leave it out of the fridge until it becomes room temperature, any cloudiness goes away.

Although it is said that it is not necessary to boil your water, I think it does help to rid the water of any impurities and dissolve the sugar to make a proper solution. Personally I would use glass instead of a metal pan which depending on the type of metal is not safe especially for a little creature that weighs about half an ounce.

Be sure you use a bleach solution or a commercial hummingbird cleaner once a week to keep the mold and bacteria away

www.wildandwinged.com
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 23:41   #23
Kneesaa'smom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennygal View Post
I also had this problem. I have been trying to understand why. Today I think I have the answer. I put the pot of water on the stove and turned the heat on low, I added the sugar at a very low boiling point and stirred until sugar had melted. I was rushed for time. I noticed the solution was clear. I made a second batch the same way and it also was clear. So I think the answer is a low boil for a short period of time.
Old Sunday 23rd September 2012, 22:10   #24
TN Tin Man

My 2 cents. I was told too boil a rolling boil for 5 mins before adding sugar. Chlorine and any other contaminants will boil off. Then add the sugar stir for 2-3 min. Let it cool room temp before refrigeration.
Old Sunday 25th November 2012, 00:09   #25
Dana Dana

Hi,
I boil then add the sugar and mix til dissolved but I don't have to make up more than 1 cup at a time.

Having read this whole thread, I was reminded that using hot tap water from a hot water tank may not always be a healthy thing to drink or use for cooking depending on the particular plumbing/water situation.
Birds are more sensitive, I think.

Here is a link with many pros and cons.
http://www.bookofjoe.com/2008/02/behindthemeds-1.html

Last edited by Dana Dana : Sunday 25th November 2012 at 00:09. Reason: spelling
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: