Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 16:09   #1
Jeff hopkins

Anyone Here Birded at Huangshan?

I'm heading back to Wonderful Wuhu in a few weeks and I thought I'd tack a couple of days at Huangshan on the beginning of the trip. While I'm naturally going for the scenery, I never travel without my bins. So...

Has anyone on the forum ever birded there?

Are there any locations, either on or below the mountain that are known for being good for birding?

I also saw a report that listed long-billed plovers as being found on the river in Tunxi City. Would those be residents or migrants? Would they be around in late May / early June?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Tuesday 8th May 2012, 23:41   #2
McMadd
Tip-toe-ing on the fifth floor...

Hi Jeff

I assume you have Zhang Lin's hotspot page bookmarked?

http://www.shanghaibirdingtour.com/h.../Huangshan.htm

And here's some advice he gave me as we were discussing my possible plans for June's Dragon Boat Festival (22-24 June):

"In Huangshan if you have one day, you need to take the cable car up and down. If two days, you can walk and let a ground tour agent or Youth Hostel to book a hotel on top of the mountain."

Looks like I may be out of Shanghai at least part of the weekend of 26/27 but will update you once plans are firmed up this end.

br
Mark
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 11:53   #3
Jeff hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMadd View Post
Hi Jeff

I assume you have Zhang Lin's hotspot page bookmarked?

http://www.shanghaibirdingtour.com/h.../Huangshan.htm

And here's some advice he gave me as we were discussing my possible plans for June's Dragon Boat Festival (22-24 June):

"In Huangshan if you have one day, you need to take the cable car up and down. If two days, you can walk and let a ground tour agent or Youth Hostel to book a hotel on top of the mountain."

Looks like I may be out of Shanghai at least part of the weekend of 26/27 but will update you once plans are firmed up this end.

br
Mark
I didn't realize he had a page on Huangshan.

I'm probably going to give myself 2 days, but I likely won't stay on top. It sounds like a rip off for the quality of the hotels.
Old Wednesday 9th May 2012, 12:59   #4
mcaribou
Migration coming

I should update the page:
at the bottom of the cable car u can see Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher.
Besides the most sought-after species,there're quite a few common birds on top and around the bottom such as Crested Kingfisher etc.
It's really a nice place for birding.Enjoy it!
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 08:18   #5
Creba

Interesting..., I will go to China end of June/early July and my wifes family (from Shenyang) and us are thinking of visiting Huangshan (and Hangzhou). I am looking forward to what you will see a few weeks earlier.

Regards,
Bart
Old Thursday 10th May 2012, 12:22   #6
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Jeff - Don't do it. Go to Wuyuan instead!

Its the right time for the Yellow-throated Laugher and Shi Jin has all the latest gen plus , Pied Falconet, Swinhoe's Minivet, and Elliot's Pheasant. There are also Mandarin, Crested Kingfisher and Long-billed Plovers there.

Cheers
Mike
Latest Lifer: Spectacled Spiderhunter, Rufous-backed Kingfisher
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 15:10   #7
Jeff hopkins

Good idea, Mike.

I connected with Shi Jin, who gave me the contact info for Mr. Yu who he met in Wuyuan. The owner of my hotel in Huangshan has already been in touch with him, and it looks like I'm going to do a day trip from Huangshan to Wuyuan in addition to my sightseeing at Huangshan. Best of both worlds.

I'm hoping my limited Chinese will get the job done. If not, one can always point at a field guide :-)
Old Friday 11th May 2012, 15:30   #8
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Sounds like a plan Jeff - I look forward to hearing how you get on - a bit jealous actually - Shi Jin's pix brought back some stunning memories!

Cheers
Mike
Latest Lifer: Spectacled Spiderhunter, Rufous-backed Kingfisher
Old Monday 28th May 2012, 08:12   #9
Jeff hopkins

I went up Huangshan today. I'm working on a report, but have a question: Can someone confirm that the common seicercus warbler that seems to be everywhere on Huangshan is white-spectacled warbler?

That's the conclusion I made on song and elevation, but I wouldn't mind some confirmation.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: