• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Home made tripod adapter (1 Viewer)

barshnik

John F
I looked at the Swarovski UTA, but didn't like the fact that the IP distance couldn't be adjusted once mounted on the tripod without unhooking the rubber strap.

Oh, and it costs $100 or so. Here is the prototype, I'll make another just to look better, but this on functions perfectly.

Materials:
1 3/4" PVC coupler. Cut in half length wise and height wise. 80 cents. Would make 4 mounts.

Blind nut, 1/4" x 20 (standard tripod threads.) 40 cents ea.

Washers, laying around.

Foam stick on weatherstrip tape, had it laying around.

Velcro strap, 1" wide. I had some laying around, don't know what it would cost.

I drilled a hole to fit the blind nut through, and used PCV cement to hold it in place. On the outside, I used epoxy to secure it, as well as a couple of washers. Cut slots in the coupler (small cut off wheel on my rotary tool) to accomodate the velcro. Sprayed with a little flat black paint. Cut and stuck on the weatherstrip foam tape.

It is as secure as any mount I can imagine, and allows you to adjust IP while mounted as only one barrel is used. The PVC coupler, depending on the design of the roof barrel, could be 1 1/2" or 2" as needed. the 1 3/4" was perfect for my Swaro 10x32 SV and should work for most any 32 roof binocular.

Probably cost a few bucks at most if all materials had to be purchased. Here are some pics showing the construction. It is small and light enough to leave on the binocs if you are switching back and forth between hand and tripod use.

John F
LV, NV

Attachments

• ta1.JPG
    ta1.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 383
  • ta3.JPG
    ta3.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 335
  • ta2.JPG
    ta2.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 501
  • ta4.JPG
    ta4.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Couple more pics, showing the adapter on the binocs without the tripod mount.

Attachments

• ta6.JPG
    ta6.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 402
  • ta5.JPG
    ta5.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 387
I've run out of glasses to try it on, but with longer or shorter velcro and thinner / thicker foam it'll work on a lot.

I had the UTA ordered from Eagle, but cancelled at the last minute after thinking about giving this a try.

Attachments

• ta7.JPG
    ta7.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 657
I've run out of glasses to try it on, but with longer or shorter velcro and thinner / thicker foam it'll work on a lot.

I had the UTA ordered from Eagle, but cancelled at the last minute after thinking about giving this a try.
Well looks like it works as intended, i really should've done the same thing! So how much they going for?
;)

Well looks like it works as intended, i really should've done the same thing! So how much they going for?
;)

$7, that includes USPS 1st class. Production run is limited to 2 pieces, will include hand numbered serial. After that, and you post a glowing report, the price will shoot up to $8. Production will stop at 6 pieces total. Swaro owners get preference.

So, the first 6 replies get can get one!
:cat:

John F
LV NV

Last edited:
$7, that includes USPS 1st class. Production run is limited to 2 pieces, will include hand numbered serial. After that, and you post a glowing report, the price will shoot up to $8. Production will stop at 6 pieces total. Swaro owners get preference.

So, the first 6 replies get can get one!
:cat:

John F
LV NV

barshink: I want dibs on one! will use with my el & slc! Will pm.

If I was making these, I would put a little more meat in the area shown in the attached picture.

I am a tooling designer by trade, so I have seen plenty of failures. A tiny web of unreinforced PVC is all that stands between you and an expensive "Swarovski Paperweight".

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Mike

Attachments

• ta3-2.JPG
    ta3-2.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 141
If I was making these, I would put a little more meat in the area shown in the attached picture.

I am a tooling designer by trade, so I have seen plenty of failures. A tiny web of unreinforced PVC is all that stands between you and an expensive "Swarovski Paperweight".

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Mike

Good point, if I go with 3/4" wide velcro instead of 1" it would give a lot more meat at the end points of the slot. The PVC is 4.2mm thick, and is really quite tough stuff. If I go wider with the coupler it would work too, but might be a problem for binocs that don't have the Open Bridge design. I'll make another prototype. Thanks for the suggestion.

John F

John:

Good of you to post your idea. I don't believe holding just one barrel is going to
be stable enough however.

The Nikon Binoc-U-mount, is a universal tripod mount that wraps around both barrels
and I believe some on the site have it. These are available for under $50.
As mentioned above, you'd hate to have your binocular hit the ground, ouch.

Jerry

Last edited:
John:

Good of you to post your idea. I don't believe holding just one barrell is going to
be stable enough however.

The Nikon Binoc-U-mount, is a universal tripod mount that wraps around both barrells
and I believe some on the site have it. These are available for under $50.
As mentioned above, you'd hate to have your binocular hit the ground, ouch.

Jerry

Yes, I might not want to use the single barrel design for the 42's now that you bring that up. I'm quite confident it is fine for the 32's, but maybe not the 42's.

No more orders please, I'm going to send out the 2 that have been requested with the understanding that they are for the Swaro EL 32's only, and at no charge. That'll be the end of the business - the idea for me was a light inexpensive mount, and that I have.

John F

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back