Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 29th June 2012, 14:26   #1
Daniel Martin

Buzzard takes Oprey chick, Scotland.

Quite incredible footage..........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 16:15   #2
Irish Kite

Thumbs down SHocking - but for different reasons!!

I think what was more shocking was the actions of the staff at the centre when the first people they contacted on the matter where the SGA - just what was the purpose of that in relation to a perfectly natural event concerning 2 raptors. I'll leave people to make up their own mind on that, but I think those who are aware of Mr Hog's and go prouncements on raptor issues in general, will find it all rather odd to say the least.

PS: With phrases like "shocking" "cruel" it was all in all a classic Daily Mail piece written by someone who's knowledge of the natural world does not appear to go much beyond certain Disney animations
Old Friday 29th June 2012, 20:34   #3
Himalaya

I know. How can anyone work in any form of conservation and say such things. There is comment to the story below That I agree with. There is a way of tainting Buzzards and Kites as carrion and worm eaters when they are both more than capable of taking surprising prey items.

I do not agree with the words used as it is not a killer but a predator ad I definitely do not agree with his support for a cull.

The Buzzard surprises me everyday. Someone on here or elsewhere did mention that Buzzards raid Raven nests but at first I ddi not believe it. After seeing this I am sure there are individual Buzzards who are more than capable of raiding Raven or even Goshawk nests.

"As Ben 16.32 has rightly said (and shamefully been red arrowed), the buzzard population has gone through the roof over the last decade, all over Britain. To the likes of Bill Oddie and Chris Packham, they can of course do no wrong, since they only eat carrion and small mammals, don't they? (!!!) Anyone still nurturing this delusion will surely have the scales fall from their eyes now, won't they, surely? Buzzards, like Cormorants, are highly proficient and promiscuous KILLERS, as every true countryman knows. A widespread cull is long overdue but woe betide any Government that even suggests it! The RSPB, consumed by self - importance, would have a field day.

- Robineff, Hampshire, 28/6/2012 21:44

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165920/Caught-camera-The-shocking-moment-Osprey-chick-plucked-nest-buzzard.html#ixzz1zDSgTYgJ"
Old Monday 2nd July 2012, 10:10   #4
Mal Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Kite View Post
I think what was more shocking was the actions of the staff at the centre when the first people they contacted on the matter where the SGA - just what was the purpose of that in relation to a perfectly natural event concerning 2 raptors. I'll leave people to make up their own mind on that, but I think those who are aware of Mr Hog's and go prouncements on raptor issues in general, will find it all rather odd to say the least.

PS: With phrases like "shocking" "cruel" it was all in all a classic Daily Mail piece written by someone who's knowledge of the natural world does not appear to go much beyond certain Disney animations
Hi Irish Kite.

Spot on with your comments as usual. Buzzards are oportunists like all birds of prey and will from time to time take items of prey that may surprise us. I have seen one pluck a young Magpie from a group of about 6 birds gathered together in a tree before any of them saw it approach. You are still far more likely to see them picking up worms after a heavy downpour though than you are catching large vertabrate prey.

Poor, lazy, headline grabbing journalism yet again I am afraid.
Old Monday 2nd July 2012, 11:30   #5
Robin Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Taylor View Post
Poor, lazy, headline grabbing journalism yet again I am afraid.
Indeed so although I also think there is deliberate feeding of such tosh to crap newspapers as a means to generate the hype that certain organisations can then benefit from. They try to reap what they sow.

In stark comparison we hear today of yet more poisoning of Golden Eagles in Scotland and yet the same crap newspapers are unlikely to make any mention whatsoever.

Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/49694636@N03/

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd July 2012, 11:37   #6
Boom

Think Robineff from Hampshire has put one too many letters in the word "countryman" personally.

Seriously how do these people get to work in conservation? If you watch wildlife properly you will see things that are can be upsetting.

The breathtaking self importance of these people who call for culls is infuriating-who gave these uneducated morons the right to "play God" with our natural wildlife?

cheers
Old Tuesday 3rd July 2012, 08:33   #7
Mal Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
The breathtaking self importance of these people who call for culls is infuriating-who gave these uneducated morons the right to "play God" with our natural wildlife?
Love the comment, and again spot on!
Old Tuesday 3rd July 2012, 22:42   #8
Firecrest5

Nobody yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
-who gave these uneducated morons the right to "play God" with our natural wildlife?

cheers
Old Wednesday 4th July 2012, 09:01   #9
Boom

Exactly.
Old Saturday 7th July 2012, 10:48   #10
Pugs1

Problem here is some members (separate thread)call Pine Martin 'killers ' too which is exactly the same as what has been raised in this thread! One rule...springs to mind.
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 18:44   #11
Marcos Lacasa

It is hard for people who work in the conservation of the osprey. I've seen a booted eagle killed a chicken imperial eagle!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: