Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 7th September 2012, 06:10   #1
Dave B

Sketching in the field - in Afghanistan!

I belatedly just found out that my cousin, Rich Johnson (not the bird illustrator!) is back in Afghanistan for his third term as a war artist with Canadian peace-keepers.

You might find his tips on what to pack if you're thinking of doing some field-sketching in Afghanistan interesting, here.

His blog, with lots of sketches and an artist's view of the conflict, is here.

Not birds, but definitely field-sketching!

Cheers

Dave
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 08:14   #2
timwootton

Thanks for that, Dave - terrific blog. Regardless of personal opinions regarding the whys and wherefores of being at war, I've always been fascinated by this genre of work (war poetry included) bringing, as it does, a realism and personality to the circumstances which news-clips cannot. (My own personal favourite was Sir Stanley Cursiter or Orkney). Great draughting (not drafting - although that's another discussion point . . .) - hope your cousin stays safe and well.
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 08:57   #3
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton View Post
Thanks for that, Dave - terrific blog. Regardless of personal opinions regarding the whys and wherefores of being at war, I've always been fascinated by this genre of work (war poetry included) bringing, as it does, a realism and personality to the circumstances which news-clips cannot. (My own personal favourite was Sir Stanley Cursiter or Orkney). Great draughting (not drafting - although that's another discussion point . . .) - hope your cousin stays safe and well.
Thanks Tim,

Yes, it's an emotive subject all right (just read a few of the responses to his posts!), but, for this forum at least, I wanted to draw attention to both the artistic challenge and role of what he does - both of which you have tuned into.
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 12:36   #4
solitaryVSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Thanks Tim,

Yes, it's an emotive subject all right (just read a few of the responses to his posts!), but, for this forum at least, I wanted to draw attention to both the artistic challenge and role of what he does - both of which you have tuned into.
Thanks Dave. Tim is right in that it brings a very different view of the conflict and the people involved in it. Hope your cousin stays well.

I wonder if anyone knows of John Singer Sargent's war watercolors. They're such a surprise when you go through a book of his watercolors and see so many sunlit beautiful scenes of wonderful landscapes then come across soldiers in camp, etc.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th September 2012, 16:53   #5
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaryVSong View Post

I wonder if anyone knows of John Singer Sargent's war watercolors. They're such a surprise when you go through a book of his watercolors and see so many sunlit beautiful scenes of wonderful landscapes then come across soldiers in camp, etc.
Indeed - and it is this apparent paradox which also features strongly in Cursiter's war pieces. The sunshine and warmth of the location and the death and misery of the conflict.
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 22:47   #6
StuartReeves
Local rarity

I'm reminded of this post from an excellent thread by another BF member who spent time in Afghanistan.

Last edited by StuartReeves : Friday 7th September 2012 at 23:04. Reason: Spelling
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 22:58   #7
timwootton

. . . now that puts my life into sharp-focus. Thanks Stuart; what with this and the Paralympics happening on the telly . . . my dodgy back and slightly arthritic fingers feel somewhat less painful this evening . . . . . . .
Old Friday 7th September 2012, 23:04   #8
StuartReeves
Local rarity

It was a really interesting local patch thread whcih can be found in its entirety at: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=220287
Old Sunday 9th September 2012, 17:16   #9
RuislipMG

unbelievable what these guys do

and we think we have hardships , they have my total respect

Visit my Birding Fieldsketch Blog @ http://fieldsketching.blogspot.com
Old Wednesday 12th September 2012, 07:51   #10
Woody

Brilliant. I love these journal type sketchbooks. The Armed Forces Art Society exhibition at the Mall Gallery often features work like this, I find it remarkable.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: