Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old Sunday 2nd December 2012, 01:40   #51
Oskar Moilanen

That must be such a tough subject to paint. I like what I'm seeing so far!
Old Monday 3rd December 2012, 03:39   #52
JennyMK

These coastal paintings are just stunning! I really like the texture and the colours you have used!

blog: www.jennymoedkorpela.blogspot.com
Old Monday 3rd December 2012, 19:53   #53
JTMB

Hi Colleen!

I have been away from BirdForum (and WetCanvas) for too long now, but some was for good reason. This past spring, we bought an Airstream travel trailer and starting September 23rd, I took it across the country and then back along the Gulf Coast and through the Southwest. Six weeks in total, and it was a great trip. I didn't realize you had gone the full-time RV route (at least full-timing for awhile). It does take some getting used to, but it becomes second nature quickly. I took all my painting gear and intended on doing a lot of landscapes and birds, but about two weeks of the trip was family visits, and with all the driving I decided to take the spare time to do birding. I figured I can always paint the areas I visited from references and memory, but that I might never get back to find birds. It was a good decision - I added 46 life birds to my list, a number that won't ever happen again unless I take an international birding trip.

Anyway, I have enjoyed seeing your work occasionally on WetCanvas and now here, and will be following more closely now that I have your blog link. I'm envious of your project!

I'll be posting some of my recent bird sketches in this forum again now that I'm back on it.

Best wishes for the rest of your trip! And...the Oregon coast is magnificent even in stormy weather, although as you noted, it's way different than California.
www.johntubbsart.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd December 2012, 08:52   #54
colleenc

Hi John welcome back
Oskar and Jenny had to bin that last one

this has more possibilities for a larger work, has a bit more to go but close
6x8 oil, I may add a gull in flight like my favoirite seascape artist
William Trost Richards used. or I may leave it for a larger work as the birds here are only 1/2 inch in this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	420267  

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd December 2012, 09:00   #55
colleenc

forgot to add this is Moolack beach at twilight, my first encounter with this beach, started it plein air but really reworked it in my studio. Its getting colder here and I'm finding trying to keep the condensation down in the RV a real issue...it leads to mould if not controlled, so a dehumidifier is in order, and a small fan to keep the air moving...each day the RV a 19" travel trailer I call JJ, teaches me something new. Underground springs at my site have been channeled into a new pipe after I hand shoveled a small ditch behind JJ, it spilled over the street, so the park came and made a pipe. The unearthed 2 more small places that feed into what I call Big Creek and so my site now has a "water feature" but at least its not going underneath me now.

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

Old Sunday 23rd December 2012, 09:27   #56
Andrew H

Its always good to see your latest on here colleen, youre really making good progress into this coastal painting theme now.! Im battling the dark evenings to get at least one 'Fishing' painting done before the end of the year, after making a somewhat rash statement of intent...No sneek previews to date, so as not to allow it to fail this time round.
Old Sunday 23rd December 2012, 14:34   #57
solitaryVSong

Looks good, Colleen. And they still remind me of my days on Ocean Beach in Sf, though you're quite a bit north of their now. Merry Chirstmas.

Art, birds and nature blog: http://kenjanuski@blogspot.com

Old Monday 24th December 2012, 07:02   #58
colleenc

yes, I don't think I have the light here quite right yet, I'll just have to keep painting and it will come.

Thanks Andrew...

here is the final, I took out the gulls they were too distraction and put one in flight on the lower right, made the foam twice as big and tweaked a few things

Now I'll try it larger, and if the clouds part at sunset for a bit maybe I can get a better handle on the colors. Got the values right now tho so it will be easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	57
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	420412  

Old Monday 24th December 2012, 09:09   #59
Woody

A beach at sunrise or sunset is a fine place to be. Thanks for taking me there from this cold, grey, wet morning.

Love it.

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Old Monday 24th December 2012, 13:44   #60
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

I think its wonderful and glad one gull remains
Old Monday 24th December 2012, 22:10   #61
Lykos

unbelievable

http://lykos1003.cabanova.com/
Old Tuesday 25th December 2012, 19:51   #62
JTMB

Wonderfully painted, Colleen! Yes, having bought an Airstream trailer earlier this year and now having put 8,000 miles on it on my fall trip, the 'moisture management' part of RV'ing is a challenge. Now that we have it stored for the winter (outside, unfortunately, as finding covered storage around here is hard to do), I'm monitoring it carefully. I've got three of the chemical dryer containers in it (the salt crystals absorb moisture from the air and combine with the salt to become brine, then you have to throw the brine out from the collector pan periodically). However, when traveling on the road or living in it, they're impractical, so a dehumidifier is no doubt the best bet.
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Friday 4th January 2013, 21:14   #63
colleenc

My latest massive struggle, dont even ask how many times I repainted it
The place is boiler bay I'll try to post a photo of the area....the waves when big create a massive display, In the photo look for the little people just outside the fence in the upper right, and you'll get some idea of the scale.

I put gulls in the painting to give some size reference. This is 6x8 and the main thing I was trying to get is the different levels of value
Too bad I cant take my own advice and leave things alone, but I just had to solve the main problem I set out to solve on the, ie 3 distinct levels of values in the rocks, I mean darker richer closer, mid range color and value in mid rocks, and the final lots of spray graying out the color and detail of the far rocks, complicated by the fact I made the focal pt there with the spray which calls for more color and/or shaper edges at a place that is supposed to go back more. So really no win problem....So I painted again just to resolve the value issue and ignore all the other short comings. Poor little 6x8 scrap of canvas :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	421999  

Old Friday 4th January 2013, 21:18   #64
colleenc

sorry mobile post on iphone only allows me one photo apparently
so will try the photo here mentioned in prev post
Boiler Bay Oregon, storm surf. a couple of weeks ago. I hang out here a lot as the waves are always bigger and badder than anywhere else
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	422001  

Old Friday 4th January 2013, 23:01   #65
JTMB

The most recent one looks fine to me! I've been to Boiler Bay - it is definitely an impressive place, even when there are no storm waves. Seeing the two people in the photo standing beyond the fence gave me pause, as one of my wife's relatives was lost in Hawaii while picking opihii (spelling?) - limpits - along the rocks past Hanauma Bay. He never came home and was presumed swept off by a wave and lost.
www.johntubbsart.com

Old Friday 4th January 2013, 23:32   #66
colleenc

I was warned about that when I lived in Hawaii, I never knew anyone it happened to tho. I would not stand there myself, but it must be an adrenaline rush to do so. There are other unfenced places I go that are probably only marginally better, but I can't help myself, I want to see it close up. Having lived a lot of my life by the sea, I am very careful and respectfull, listening intently and not venturing close until I get the pattern of the waves and then only when the tide is going out. Nevertheless you never know whats going to happen at the sea. When they are really big you can feel the ground shake as they hit the cliff below. I've found one place where I can be fairly safe almost at eye level to the wave.

Its the greatest challenge in painting I've faced trying to capture this in paint.

Last edited by colleenc : Friday 4th January 2013 at 23:38.

Old Saturday 5th January 2013, 10:06   #67
spizaetos

Wonderful, moody seascapes Colleen...
I love the lighting and the reflected colour hues in particular!

Paschalis
Old Monday 7th January 2013, 22:25   #68
solitaryVSong

I've never tound it easy to follow my own advice! A striking painting nonetheless.

And apropos of nothing didn't you once express admiration for Bob Kuhn, way back when? I just wanted to let you know there's a new book about his work that just been published. I got it today and am impressed. If you use the link to the publisher from wildlife art journal site I think that there's a 10% discount. It's quite a hefty book even in the cheaper paperaback version that I bought.

Old Tuesday 8th January 2013, 09:34   #69
Bigshent
Biddulph Birder

The last is Fantastic Colleen I just love the energy of the sea but like you say you have to respect it too
Old Tuesday 8th January 2013, 18:01   #70
timwootton

These are exceptionally good pieces, Colleen - very impressive.
Old Monday 14th January 2013, 19:19   #71
colleenc

a new place Moolack beach where I finally got the gulls to integrate with the wave and not take over...I need more practice with the complex sky around here tho
trying out a new way to post pics as its really hard using this site for mobile posting which sometimes will not let me upload photos very well.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8fc1b19.jpg

lets see how it works probably will only have a link
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	36
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	423377  

Old Monday 14th January 2013, 19:20   #72
colleenc

yay! it worked and is much easier and more stable to post, maybe I can be around here more now.

Old Monday 14th January 2013, 19:37   #73
Andrew H

Another cracking piece Colleen....With a slight Autumnal glow about it......
Old Monday 14th January 2013, 22:18   #74
Lykos

I love the sea..and your paintings bring me to her

http://lykos1003.cabanova.com/
Old Wednesday 16th January 2013, 14:09   #75
solitaryVSong

These continue to have a sense of a place actually seen, Colleen, something I think is surprisingly difficult and unusual with something so indistinct as seascapes. My guess is that all the individuality has to come from the artist themselves and their response to what they see.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: