Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 24th November 2012, 17:29   #1
Laurie93

Late Lesser Whitethroats - SW England

Hello,

I saw a Lesser Whitethroat on the 14th November in Plymouth, and since then Iíve been seeing quite a few more sightings of them on birdguides across the South West, the latest being today (24th November).
Is this usual for there to be so many so late? and why might this be happening?

Thanks
Laurie
Old Sunday 25th November 2012, 11:07   #2
pete wragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie93 View Post
Hello,

I saw a Lesser Whitethroat on the 14th November in Plymouth, and since then Iíve been seeing quite a few more sightings of them on birdguides across the South West, the latest being today (24th November).
Is this usual for there to be so many so late? and why might this be happening?

Thanks
Laurie
My theory backed up by no evidence at all,is that they are not late british birds but european birds migrating southwest to winter,like many Blackcaps now do.Who knows in twenty years time they could be regular winter visitors?

Pete.
Old Sunday 25th November 2012, 14:35   #3
davercox
Dave Cox

Nice idea Pete, let's hope so.
In the meantime: they are eastern birds migrating round the E end of the Med.
Turning up here at this time of year could well be vagrants, possibly from further east (there are some recent threads here concerning poss halimodendri etc).
Could be worth your grilling these birds, or maybe not, up to you ...
BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 27th November 2012, 21:24   #4
Himalaya

Are Lesser's hardier birds than Common Whitethroats? They appear to be recorded later in the UK .....that is based on information what I come across.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2012, 09:41   #5
jogresh
Registered nutjob

Good question - they certainly seem to be. I wonder if they can switch their diet better, rather like Blackcaps. I've certainly seen LW taking berries. And they occasionally come to suet feeders in gardens too - i failed to see a presumed halimodendri doing just that in Cornwall. When i were't lad, it was Siberian - 'blythi' - which were occasionally reported in winter...?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: