• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Straight or angled eyepiece ? (1 Viewer)

clevercollie

Hi guys and gals,
I am new to all this and at the moment im having trouble with which vewing format to go for, straight or the angled ? any advice will be greatly recieved.
Thankyou, Martin.

Straight is intuitive, but on a tripod needs to be higher than a angled scope.

Angled is great for long term viewing and for groups sharing an optic. On a tripod is markedly lower than a straight so can be more stable. I prefer angled for on a tripod and straight hand held.

Hi Ratal,
Thankyou for your responce i was sort of edging towards an angled scope,
thanks again,"Happy spotting at christmas".

Oh yeah, I'm getting the new Hawke endurance 85ed angled scope for an early Christmas gift :) I agree with your angled choice, as one clincher.....they make a bird at top of trees easier on the neck to.scope out if you got your spotter on a tripod..

And a merry Christmas birding to you too!

Hi guys and gals,
I am new to all this and at the moment im having trouble with which vewing format to go for, straight or the angled ? any advice will be greatly recieved.
Thankyou, Martin.

The only thing I find with angled scopes is that they are more dificult to find birds in flight. On balance I like the angled scope but swear a lot when trying to find the fly through hobby.

One more thing. You will need time to become used to using the angled scope. However, it becomes easy after a while. But those damn birds in flight !!!! Who has shown them how to fly ???? It would be so easy if they walked like everybody else...

There was a good thread here some time ago about strapping a zip tie to the front of the scope to provide a targeting reference point. This works rather well and helps improve the user friendlyness of the angled scope.

There was a good thread here some time ago about strapping a zip tie to the front of the scope to provide a targeting reference point. This works rather well and helps improve the user friendlyness of the angled scope.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084

I push the cable into the stay on case length ways along the scope. . When you pack up push the objective lens cover on and the cable tie folds back along the scope . Bend back to correct position the next time you remove lens cover . This method is excellent for scoping flying birds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back