Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 8th February 2013, 14:27   #1
huatulco

Recording - birds

I recently bought a recorder and tried it out in Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico. Only problem was I could not see the birds! Any ideas on what type of birds these are?

Attached Files
File Type: wav 110815_00EDITED.wav (291.1 KB, 19 views)
Old Saturday 9th February 2013, 01:26   #2
HarryJ

Hi,
Without knowing what your sound is, I made a spectral analysis of your recording. Your recording appears to be unsaturated wich is a good thing. I can see that the individual sounds appear in the range from 2 to 4 kHz, but I would assume that your bird was singing with notes that were higher than 4kHz, which is an unfortunately lowcut off frequency. I would guess that some higher notes may have been lost and the rattle like notes had a higher pitch to them?

Were there one or many birds? and in what kind of a place were they singing? residential area, grassland, bushes, heavy forest.... Did you see any birds there?

regards
Harry J
Old Sunday 10th February 2013, 20:26   #3
huatulco

Hi,
There probably was other sound that got lost when I tried to clean up a bunch of noise that was picked up when I did the recording. I made the recording in a very natural setting with no buildings, traffic, other people etc. It was in a national park and quite heavily wooded. There were a number of birds singing at the same time. There were a lot of birds in the area at the time but did not keep good enough records to remember exactly which ones I did see. Taking photos was my priority and am afraid I did not take the recording seriously enough!

I am planning on taking another trip to Huatulco in either March or April and hope to get better recordings at that time. Hopefully I can isolate sounds better this next time.
Jon

Last edited by huatulco : Sunday 10th February 2013 at 20:31.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: