• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird, Manchester, UK (1 Viewer)

tejsmith

Bulgaria
Was hoping someone could help with a bird that I spotted today that has been bugging me since. Apologies, no photo as branches etc in way. I was in Manchester in a small bit of wooded area when I spotted a bird I didn't recognise straight off. It had a dark red chest, smooth dark grey over the back and head and there was a flash of white under the tail as it took flight. It was about robin size (maybe slightly larger) and seemed to have a small cream horizontal line on the side of the neck, although this could have been a trick of the sun as I couldn't see it when it turned away. It was a good looking bird and one I feel I have seen somewhere before, maybe in a picture...would love any insights into what it could have been! Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. The colouring on the back/head was a lot smoother and it was sitting less upright than a bullfinch. Really puzzling me!

Definitely not a chaffinch, not like any stonechat I've ever seen but I've never seen a common redstart - does it have white under the tail? Didn't look like the pictures on Google (didn't have black face, all grey like the back) but doesn't mean it wasn't one! I've not seen a whinchat either, but looking at pictures the whinchat looks a bit pale and its feathers are too interesting!

Wish it had been Wheatear! Not nuthatch, although did see one shortly before. The closest I can find is an American robin, so anything we have like that colour wise - maybe a slightly paler grey on the head/back. I wish I'd been able to get a picture, I can tell it's going to annoy me for days...Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)

Forgot to mention I saw it fly - 'bouncing' flight seems to be the best description I've found, although I'm aware many birds fly in a similar way so probably not much help in narrowing it down.

Hi, it was at Chorlton water park. I love Bullfinch so it would be great if it had been one but unfortunately it wasn't! Not the right colouring/markings or posture.

Thanks for the suggestion but not a fieldfare either - the colouring had no extra obvious markings, it was plain dark red chest, plain grey continuous head and back and white under the tail. Popped back today to try and refind it but not showing unfortunately.

Have you tried the RSPB bird id thing on the internet? (Sorry don't have a link)

Also worth bearing in mind that a wide range of escaped cage birds do occur out there, especially nearer more inhabited areas.

Did you see the bill shape, this may help rule out certain species. have you tried the wardens office at the water park, they usually have a recent sightings list and may be able to help
Karl

Hi, it was at Chorlton water park. I love Bullfinch so it would be great if it had been one but unfortunately it wasn't! Not the right colouring/markings or posture.

I don't want to cause an argument but your first description (dark red chest, smooth dark grey back and a flash of white under the tail) it is spot on for bullfinch - also you say it was sitting less upright than a Bullfinch, none of any of the other birds mentioned sit any less upright than a Bullfinch. The 'bouncing' or undulating flight is also perfect for Bullfinch too...

As I said, I don't want to cause any friction so please don't think I'm being rude! In my job I get hundreds of people with ID queries who are adament it's not a certain bird and it turns out to be it. We had a lady once who perfectly described a Redwing, but after we suggested it she said it was too small. A week later she came back and said her neighbour told her they were infact Redwing, after saying you told us it was too small she said 'well they were quite far away'!

As others have said, it could otherwise be an escapee which makes things a lot more unusual! I hope you find out what it was, none-the-less. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back