Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 3rd April 2013, 08:24   #1
binomania

My review of MINOX HG 8x33 (MIG)

Hi to All. You can find my review here.

http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=1654
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni
Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 18:45   #2
squidge
Wha Whassssat

Hi Piergiovanni, As an owner of the Minox mig hg 8x33 I have to say they are a very underrated binocular. Having previously owned and sold a pair I was looking for a good back up bin to my Zeiss fls 8x32. I narrowed it down to a pair of Zeiss conquests hd and the minox hg's. IMO the minox were marginally better than the conquests so I bought the minox. FWIW I am not susceptible to CA so I can't comment on perceived CA on the minox as I have never seen it. Nice review

Regards Gerard.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 4th April 2013, 21:53   #3
binomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidge View Post
Hi Piergiovanni, As an owner of the Minox mig hg 8x33 I have to say they are a very underrated binocular. Having previously owned and sold a pair I was looking for a good back up bin to my Zeiss fls 8x32. I narrowed it down to a pair of Zeiss conquests hd and the minox hg's. IMO the minox were marginally better than the conquests so I bought the minox. FWIW I am not susceptible to CA so I can't comment on perceived CA on the minox as I have never seen it. Nice review

Regards Gerard.
Hi Gerard, thanks for the comments.
Another "giant killer", in my humble opinion, is the Kowa Genesis 8x33.
By the way, you're right the CA perception is subjective. For example, I see it, sometimes, in the Canon 10x42, (also with IS OFF) a friend of mine says it is non-existent. Now I am very curious to try the new HD series BL. Have a nice week-end.
Old Friday 5th April 2013, 08:47   #4
Chris 37

Binomania,

how would you compare the Minox HG 8×33 (MIG) to the Conquest HD 8x32
since you tested both of them?

Buona giornata,
Chris
Old Friday 5th April 2013, 13:55   #5
binomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 37 View Post
Binomania,

how would you compare the Minox HG 8×33 (MIG) to the Conquest HD 8x32
since you tested both of them?

Buona giornata,
Chris
Hi Chris, unfortunately, at the moment, i have not the opportunity to make a comparison. A friend of mine who owned the Zeiss Conquest HD replaced it with a specimen of Kowa Genesis 8x33.
Old Friday 5th April 2013, 21:03   #6
Gilmore Girl
Beth

A couple of months ago I handled a Minox 8x33 HG at the Audobon store. I loved how light it was and the feel and the smooth focus wheel. In addition I thought it was a very attractive binocular. I looked through it a bit and it seemed very nice. The guy told me it was the previous version. I checked online another day and discovered that the one I handled was the Japanese version. I read some reviews of the German updated HG; that the optics were updated and much better. So, I ordered the MIG new model. Well, once it arrived it felt like a different binocular although it looked the very same. It no longer felt as light and felt chunky and awkward to me. The focus wheel was SUPER stiff too. I know that brand new bins can have a very stiff focus in the beginning and that time loosens it up, but this was way worse than I had ever experienced. I felt dissapointed. So, I looked online and sure enough the Japanese version was a couple of ounces or so lighter and the dimensions revealed it to be smaller. I liked the view in both the Japanese and German, but I returned the MIG bin back to the dealer. I eventually went with the Nikon SE 8x32 over the Minox. Just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone could use this info. I think the Japanese versions are still out there to buy, but probably dwindling quite a bit. They are about half the price of the MIG version I believe.

Last edited by Gilmore Girl : Friday 5th April 2013 at 21:09.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th April 2013, 22:39   #7
chartwell99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabeth2 View Post
A couple of months ago I handled a Minox 8x33 HG at the Audobon store. I loved how light it was and the feel and the smooth focus wheel. In addition I thought it was a very attractive binocular. I looked through it a bit and it seemed very nice. The guy told me it was the previous version. I checked online another day and discovered that the one I handled was the Japanese version. I read some reviews of the German updated HG; that the optics were updated and much better. So, I ordered the MIG new model. Well, once it arrived it felt like a different binocular although it looked the very same. It no longer felt as light and felt chunky and awkward to me. The focus wheel was SUPER stiff too. I know that brand new bins can have a very stiff focus in the beginning and that time loosens it up, but this was way worse than I had ever experienced. I felt dissapointed. So, I looked online and sure enough the Japanese version was a couple of ounces or so lighter and the dimensions revealed it to be smaller. I liked the view in both the Japanese and German, but I returned the MIG bin back to the dealer. I eventually went with the Nikon SE 8x32 over the Minox. Just thought I'd bring this up in case anyone could use this info. I think the Japanese versions are still out there to buy, but probably dwindling quite a bit. They are about half the price of the MIG version I believe.
The made in Japan Minox 8 x 33 HG is a remarkable binocular, the best of the entire line in my opinion. The German version has a wider field of view but the optics are not better. Interesting that you found that the handling is different as well.
Old Tuesday 9th April 2013, 04:27   #8
whitneymuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99 View Post
The made in Japan Minox 8 x 33 HG is a remarkable binocular, the best of the entire line in my opinion. The German version has a wider field of view but the optics are not better. Interesting that you found that the handling is different as well.
Agreed; I really like the Minox weight: its hand held weight aids in a steady field especially bracing the bin with thumbs on the cheekbone. It's a good and convenient bin.
Old Tuesday 9th April 2013, 17:41   #9
MPeoples

I like the 8x33 HG Japan model too.
Old Monday 13th May 2013, 19:01   #10
oetzi

I will receive a Minox 8x33 Hg within the next two weeks and among others compare it to Nikon EII 8x30 and Kowa Genesis 8x33.
Old Friday 24th May 2013, 17:39   #11
oetzi

Black beauty!

It does look quite nice. More compact and square than a slim and slender EL, but the matte black and contrasting silver is a fine classical design.
Anything mechanically is really fine, be it bridge, diopter or focussing (ccw to infinity).
The rubber surface is very grippy, its surface being slightly roughened.

The very first impressions of its optical quality, after ten minutes of looking through:

Ca-wise between Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and Swaro EL 8x32 SV.

Sweet spot 75% with a bit of curvature in it. (Thats more an educated guess than reliable observation.)

Sharpness doesnt make "pop" when focussing but rather creeps into maximum.

Ease-of-view is for me on the same level of the Zeiss. A tendency to black-out which gives it third place together with the Zeiss. (First is Kowa Genesis 8x33, second the Swarovski.)

The carrying case is a major pita, followed closely by the strap.

Now I have eight weeks to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4450-re.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	444659  

Last edited by oetzi : Friday 24th May 2013 at 18:52.
Old Monday 14th October 2013, 20:06   #12
CSG

I was able to find an open box pair at CameraLandNY for $647. Neil thought I might like them a little more than the 8x32 Conquest HD. I had some 8x42 HD's and liked them a lot but had issues with the eyecups not only being too short to allow a full FOV but coming apart as well. The optics and general build quality are, however, sublime.

I upgraded to the HT's instead but still want a waterproof 8x32 class bin that would at least give my SE's a run for the money. The short of it is I've ordered the Minox MiG 8x33 HG BR's and will be very curious how they are for half off retail.

Based on my experience with Zeiss and my predisposition towards the brand, I have to say I'm leery but for less the $650, I simply have to see for myself. That's $25 cheaper than the demo pairs of Zeiss 8x32 HD's CLNY has at the moment.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Monday 14th October 2013, 22:48   #13
eitanaltman

I've noticed both of those in CLNY's bargain bin. Looking forward to your thoughts.

At the same (demo price) price point, the Conquest HD 8x32 vs. the Minox HG MIG 8x33 is a really interesting comparison. I have to imagine you can't find a better 8x32/33 for under $700 than those two.
Old Monday 14th October 2013, 22:52   #14
CSG

I just hope that if these don't work out I can still snag a pair of the 8x32 HD's for that demo price. However, almost everything I've read about the MiG HG's is positive.
Minolta 6x20, Vortex Fury 6.5x32, Jason 7x50, Nikon SE 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Terra ED 8x42, Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, Zeiss Victory 10x25, Canon 10x30 IS, Garrett 25x100 IF, Kowa TSN-883 w/25-60x WA, Televue Pronto, Televue TV-85
Old Wednesday 16th October 2013, 15:20   #15
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
I just hope that if these don't work out I can still snag a pair of the 8x32 HD's for that demo price. However, almost everything I've read about the MiG HG's is positive.
Hi CSG

I am a HT 8x42 and FL 8x32 owner and love them to bits but the Conquest HD 8x32 leaves me gasping at the quality for the price. It really is a steal.

This is not to take anything away from Minox (who are neighbours of Zeiss in Wetzlar) who make great bins.

My vote would go for the HD every time.

Lee
Old Wednesday 16th October 2013, 16:29   #16
CSG

Like I've said in the Zeiss forum, the real issue with the HD line have been the eye cups. That's why I hesitated to pick up the 8x32 HD's. Won't get the HG's until Tuesday so I'll know pretty soon about how I get on with them. Frankly, I'd like to expand my manufacturer range and the HG's have gotten pretty great reviews too.

I don't know what happened with Zeiss on the HD eye cups but I know I'm not the only one dealing with them either coming apart or too short for the eye relief of the bin (at least in the 8x42 HD).

The optical quality of the HD's (I've only seen the 8x42 and 10x42) leave little to be desired and the focuser is great too along with the solid feel.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2013, 21:51   #17
eitanaltman

With the recent increase in "mid premium" 8x32's someone really needs to a do a ~$1k 8x32 shoot-out between the Zeiss Conquest HD, Minox HG, Kowa Genesis, and new Cabela's Euro HD (aka Meopta Meostar). Maybe include the old standard Pentax ED. Perhaps with the Nikon SE as the "reference" bin for comparisons.

Holger did a neat 8x30ish test that included the Pentax, Minox and Kowa, plus the original (non HD) version of the Meostar (the Genesis was his favorite of the lot at the time), but the Zeiss and HD Cabela's version are new models: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/8x32/test8x32.html
Old Thursday 17th October 2013, 02:51   #18
CSG

And, I think, the Minox has a different and improved optical design from the earlier MiJ version. I'd be curious to know which version was tested.
Old Thursday 17th October 2013, 17:08   #19
chartwell99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
And, I think, the Minox has a different and improved optical design from the earlier MiJ version. I'd be curious to know which version was tested.
The MIG version offers a wider field of view, but I could see no other optical differences with the MIJ version. Both versions are superb.
Old Thursday 17th October 2013, 17:16   #20
CSG

Regardless of what you could see or not, Minox has claimed optical path improvements in the MiG version. I'm hoping it's superb though as I've already started second guessing myself with these vs. the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 02:30   #21
FJDave

I own the MiJ 8x33, MiG 8x33, and the MiG 10x42. With all due respect I see quite a big difference between the MiJ and the MiG with the German made being much clearer and brighter and bigger. The German version is also a tad larger. That being said I'm not sure why but I almost always carry the MiJ most places I go. Probably due in part because it was my first big purchase and the eye relief. I can bury my eyes deep and get a nice view even thou it might not be superior in view. Plus the fact it is well worn and the two MiG are still almost like new. I got a deal on several adjustable Swarovski straps on eBay which they all now sport. ( love those straps fwiw ) I think you will really like your new purchase.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 05:15   #22
CSG

They're due tomorrow, a couple days sooner than I'd thought. Hope to give them a trial this weekend. And, honestly, I hope they work out for me.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 12:30   #23
iveljay

There is something addictive about the mij version. It convinced me to buy my 8x32 FLs which are superb optically, however, the Minox has such superb handling that it is frequently still used, the body just fits my hands perfectly (luck really I suppose).

The focussing action is, for me, one of the best ever and certainly a lot nicer than the Zeiss.

I also own the mij 8x42 & 10x42 but the 8x33 is by far my favourite.

Unfortunately I can't justify getting the mig version ....

Last edited by iveljay : Saturday 19th October 2013 at 12:39.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 16:35   #24
CSG

Just arrived. Missing the objective covers! First impressions (considering that I'm still bleary eyed), they're OK. Eye placement is fussier than I'd hoped, like with so many bins. The eye cups aren't quite long enough for the eye relief (meaning blackouts if you place the bins to your eye sockets). Focuser is great, not an issue regarding stiffness or precise focusing but it also works backwards from all my other binoculars (meaning counter-clockwise to reach infinity). The strap lugs dig into my hands. And much heavier feeling than the weight would indicate (neither good or bad, just an observation).

After coffee and a chance to use them a bit, I'll know by the end of the day if they're keepers. Right now, I'm kicking myself for listening to the sales guy and not just getting the Conquest HD 8x32 from the start. I may or may not have gotten along with them but I wouldn't second guess myself that maybe I should have tried the Minox, which weren't on my radar at all.

Last edited by CSG : Saturday 19th October 2013 at 17:30.
Old Saturday 19th October 2013, 17:35   #25
CSG

The eye placement for me is really, really fussy. Even worse than the Conquest HD 8x42's. It's one of those bins that has to rest on your eyebrows. Seeing as though it happens so often for me I can only assume it's my facial anatomy.

I wish I had my Nixon SE 8x32's back from Nikon (in for adjustment) to do a side by side.

These are actually pretty nice but first impressions count for a lot and my initial impression is they aren't quite what I hoped for. But like many of you have found, sometimes you need to use binoculars a little to warm up to them (like the Nixon SE's for me).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: