• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern England - bird by water edge of pond (1 Viewer)

jivelady

Hi Guys

Went to Frensham ponds today. Saw a small bird about warbler size. Pale buff colour on its belly, more brown/greenish tint on its wings. Beak warblerish type. Flitting about on thin twiggy branches hanging out over the water.Flying out briefly and seemingly catching small insects on the wing. Also flitting around right down to water edge looking for food. There was a pair and both were staying very close to water surface. Possibly took something off water surface also. Am baffled to possible identity cos of where it was looking for food. Didn't take my spotter today.......DOH !! Any ideas ? Ponds are surrounded by woodland.Was constantly moving about. flying from branch to branch then going down to the ground and walking along water edge poking about in roots going ito the water.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Went to Frensham ponds today. Saw a small bird about warbler size. Pale buff colour on its belly, more brown/greenish tint on its wings. Beak warblerish type. Flitting about on thin twiggy branches hanging out over the water.Flying out briefly and seemingly catching small insects on the wing. Also flitting around right down to water edge looking for food. There was a pair and both were staying very close to water surface. Possibly took something off water surface also. Am baffled to possible identity cos of where it was looking for food. Didn't take my spotter today.......DOH !! Any ideas ? Ponds are surrounded by woodland.Was constantly moving about. flying from branch to branch then going down to the ground and walking along water edge poking about in roots going ito the water.

Sound like Chiffchaff from your description

Sound like Chiffchaff from your description

Thanks Brian. Had heard chiffchaff at other end of pond but hadn't managed to find them. Was just suprised to see them right by the edge of the water. Didn't know that they would be beside the water like that or would skim something so close to the water surface.

Thanks Brian. Had heard chiffchaff at other end of pond but hadn't managed to find them. Was just suprised to see them right by the edge of the water. Didn't know that they would be beside the water like that or would skim something so close to the water surface.

Just back from Eurodisney....CC flycatching from almost every protruding stone and branch overhanging the many water features.

That's what they do. :t:

Just back from Eurodisney....CC flycatching from almost every protruding stone and branch overhanging the many water features.

That's what they do. :t:

Thanks Ken. HAve only managed to see chiffchaffs up in the trees. Thanks for sharing your knowlege. This bird watching sure is a huge learning curve... and Im loving it !!

In the last few weeks, almost all the Chiffchaffs here have been feeding on or near the ground - it's just too cold for any insects to be in the trees I suppose. It does seem odd to watch a "flock" of a dozen Chiffchaffs feeding in a muddy puddle, but that's what it has been like. Pity the poor Swallows and Martins, looking for flying insects.
David

Noticed it with Long-Tailed Tits also, spending a lot of time on the ground, turning over leaf litter, Blackbird fasion, in search of anything edible.

In the last few weeks, almost all the Chiffchaffs here have been feeding on or near the ground - it's just too cold for any insects to be in the trees I suppose. It does seem odd to watch a "flock" of a dozen Chiffchaffs feeding in a muddy puddle, but that's what it has been like. Pity the poor Swallows and Martins, looking for flying insects.
David

we've seen a big hatching of "midges" in Essex and Kent this week and the weather is due to warm up from tomorrow so hopefully they'll arrive just in time for this eruption of food.

Had a Willow Warbler hopping around the lawn, yesterday afternoon, chasing insects. Made me look twice before I got the 'bins out!

bizarre behaviours !

Had a Willow Warbler hopping around the lawn, yesterday afternoon, chasing insects. Made me look twice before I got the 'bins out!

Glad i am not the only one who was confused by birds doing what appeared to be odd things !!! There had definately been a hatching of midges !!! I got midged as I sat watching the chiffchaffs. !!! Great to see something different and to exercise the old braincells . Love watching all the birds regardless of them being regulars or rarities.

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back