• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Green bird ID? (1 Viewer)

richb.photo

Hi there, whilst out on a spontaneous walk last week I encountered a pair (male and female) of small green birds near Peterborough, Cambridgeshire and looking through all my available material I can't come up with an ID. The male (presumably) was about the size of a blue tit, and was predominantly very bright green (similar hue to a Ring-necked Parakeet!). They had a warblers type of beak, and blackish-grey legs (I think). The female was larger (Chaffinch kind of size) and was a duller shade of green with brownish markings on her back and wings.
Am relatively new to this so if it is glaringly obvious what species this is, please forgive me. But as I say, none of my books seem to have anything close, so any help would be gratefully received.

Regards Richard

Hi, there are no small green birds with a marked size difference between male and female in the UK. Can only suggest two different species, perhaps a Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler and possible another warbler such as a femaie Blackcap or a whitethroat. Or faoiling that a pair of Greenfinches!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back