• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to replace my nikon monarch 3 (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
For the second time in 18 months I am going to have to return my nikon monarch 3. 10x42. So think its time to upgrade. Looking for something in the sub $500 range. Probably still a 10x42. Would like to go to ED glass if possible. Just looking for some suggestions of what manufactures to look at so I have have a starting point

Pauhana .... Do you have to return the Monarch 3 because of some mechanical failure or something inherent in the design that you do not like? What are some of the things about the Monarch 3 that you like and do not like? Some additional information may help narrow down the choices to what best fits your needs.

A few that come to mind are:

Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 - $500. ED glass and dieelectic prisms. My biggest complaint is a small center view, but more recent posts indicate newer production may have addressed the issue.

Zen-Ray ED3 10X43 - about $440: Outstanding view with ED glass and dielectric prisms. There have been reports of quality variation between units but Zen-Ray does a good job in getting things resolved. They seem to use a shorter eyecup in relation to the eye relief than some others, that may require higher placement toward your eyebrows, depending on your facial structure.

Vortex Viper HD 10X42 - $599: Great overall binocular from an excellent company. It has a somewhat smaller field of view and the center view may be slightly smaller than some of the competition. I'm thinking the Viper line is made in Japan, hopefully someone can confirm that.

Bresser 10X42 about $240 - I have not seen one yet, but it does get good reviews. Check out this thread ....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=252458

Out of the above, my first choice is the Zen-Ray ED3, assuming you get a good one and they are a good fit for you. I am sure there will be many more good suggestions.

On edit: I just remembered that Zeiss is coming out with a new unit right about now called the Terra, which is in the $400 price range and it appears to have excellent potential. Assuming it makes it out about now, I would definitely check it out. Here is a thread that has some info on it .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251851

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-terra-ed-10x42-binocular.html (Not currently in stock)

Most of the binoculars in this price range will be from China and most have excellent optics for the price. They are a lot closer to the alpha view than the price indicates. The biggest issue is the inconsistency in quality between units. Make sure you buy from a seller that has a good return policy.

Last edited:
In your shoes, I would give serious consideration to the new Zeiss Terra HD. Otherwise, the Bresser Everest and Vanguard Endeavor look pretty good, and will still leave enough budget to buy a nice back-up 8x32 set of bins.

Vortex also has the Talon that can IIRC can be had within your budget. They have a really good warranty, and the CS is 2nd to none (so they say).

My issues have been mechanical. I wear eyeglasses which requires I adjust the eyepiece by twisting it. Now one one side the eyepiece is difficult to move inward and outward to the point I have to apply force to make if move. For the price range I am pleased with the optics. Just frustrated with the problems. The wgt and size of the monarch 3 is good as i also carry a canon 7d w/400 mm lens so weight is important. Was looking at the monarch 7 as a possible replacement The zen-ray also sounds interesting. Thanks for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back