Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 15th July 2013, 20:33   #1
bitter_bugger
Sparrow or Crow?

Essex Owls

Do you know of any good locations for owls this summer in Essex.

I have had a couple of friends out running claiming to have seen a little owl between Colchester and Braintree but try as I might I have had no luck getting a glimpse of any owls at all.

Any information, PM or public will be greatly appreciated

BB
Essex2014 - 112 Life - 145
BF Supporter 2013
Click here to Support BirdForum
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 02:44   #2
The sniper

Pretty much anywhere coastal for barn owl,not on Norfolk proportions but pretty easy to find
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 07:39   #3
Viv Connett

Barn owls - breeding and on webcam at Blue House Farm. Got some cracking photos of one of them last week.

Little owl - Scraley Road and Lofts Farm, Heybridge - but difficult to see this time of year due to the leaves on the trees. Try December time.

Tawny and Long eared - well, if anyone could PM me a reliable site for either I'd be very grateful as I can't find either of them this year in my usual places :-(
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 11:34   #4
Steve Arlow

Short-eared Owl reported recently on Wallasea Island

Website www.birdersplayground.co.uk
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 14:27   #5
JamesA
Crap Birder

Abberton used to be good for barn owls, but I'm not so sure these days. They're all over the county - I even had one over a carpark in the middle of Grays last winter - but they can be hard to catch up with. Blue House Farm sounds like a good bet, if they're breeding and web-cammed; at least you know there are some in the area you're looking in!
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 21:17   #6
BirdPics
Essex Birder

Had a Long-eared Owl on my local patch earlier in the year but think I it was probably a one off, Barn Owl was around for a while but haven't seen it recently. My Short-eared Owls didn't come back this past winter! hoping they will this year. Amazingly never seen a wild Tawny, only heard them.
Old Tuesday 16th July 2013, 21:21   #7
Linfordbirder

Barn and Little owl reported regularly at Thurrock Thameside. Try around the entry area at dusk. Was hoping SEO's were going to hang around through summer too, but altho up to 4 were highly visible there over winter, last report i saw was in April when a seo was seen being attacked by a peregrine and reportedly one was found dead with head damage a week later.
Old Wednesday 17th July 2013, 22:12   #8
auchinbowie

Old Hall has Little and Barn Owls. Check the area near the nest boxes, which are near the warden's office. I also saw an unseasonal Short-eared owl on site in June. In winter S-e O can be found in many coastal locations, though numbers seem to be far lower than before the millenium.

Tawny Owls and Little Owls are fairly common. Early morning and evening are best, but both can be diurnal when feeding young and nights are short. The villages south-east of Witham is a good area. Drive quietly with the windows open and radio off. Ears are more important than eyes -- at least for locating the owls.

Best of luck with Long-eared Owl. There are a few winter roosts (5 or 6 perhaps). They are not broadcast.

Dave
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: