Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 26th November 2004, 14:48   #1
leicaeddy
Life is hard. Play short

ASKING: CZJ 10x40 Notarem B/GA

Does any aficionado know about the performance of CZJ 10x40 NOTAREM? Is it waterproof or not? Alas, is a brand new model worth a asking price of ~580 USD? Thx a lot.
Old Friday 26th November 2004, 18:56   #2
chartwell99

CZJ Notarem Opinions

The 10 x 40 Carl Zeiss Jena Notarem is not phase coated, and offers mid-80's roof prism optical performance, which is to say OK but bettered then and now by porros costing a fraction. The Notarem models also suffered from horrible build quality, with problems especially in the focussing mechanism and collimation integrity. Other than for a collector of DDR binos, I would not buy another Notarem at any price, and am delighted that my 10 x 40 has long ago moved on to another home.
Old Friday 26th November 2004, 19:55   #3
Antony Kay

Smile Notarem binoculars

It is not all bad news with the Notarem. They can be good, if put together correctly, and many owners love them.
When I get a pair for servicing or repair, I always reinforce the prism units and put the focusing system together in a more reliable way. Then, with spot-on collimation and other adjustments, you have a handy binocular.
The problem was, in the East Germany days, the Zeiss (Jena) factory churned their binoculars out like sausages although they did not put them together as well as that! Numbers made was all that seemed to matter and the design of the binocular and the quality of its individual components was betrayed.
Then, when a Notarem went out of collimation (say), disreputable 'repairers' would simply adjust it externally and do nothing about the inside of it; one good shake and it was out of alignment again.
So, all you owners of Notarems, do not despair. When they need fixing, send them to a good repairer (e.g. www.opticalrepairs.com) (naturally) and they will improve the 'build quality' to what the designer intended.

Tony
Old Friday 26th November 2004, 23:09   #4
leicaeddy
Life is hard. Play short

Thank you for your quick responses. I wouldn't be after it for its build quality. BTW is there any other high-grade Roof made by CZJ?
Old Saturday 27th November 2004, 00:36   #5
chartwell99

In a word "No" (or as some in the U.S. would say - "Absolutely not".

Cheers

P.S. The CZJ Octarem 8 x 50 is a gem, so not all CZJ bins are bad.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2005, 19:38   #6
RAWEAVER

I have a pair

I read your post regarding the CZJ 10x40 B/GA Notarem binoculars. I have a pair that I purchased new in 1987. They are not the quality (nor the price) of higher-end binoculars, but they have served me very well. Mine were recently collimated, cleaned and checked out throughly and I would be willing to sell them at a reasonable price if you're interested.
Old Wednesday 10th August 2005, 16:59   #7
Otto McDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99
horrible
'nough said
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: