• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plaese help with ID. (1 Viewer)

straho.peev

I am wondering about the juvenile bird behind.
The pictures were taken on 14.12.13 from Bulgarian Black Sea cost.

Attachments

• Picture1AB.jpg
    Picture1AB.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00001A_resize.jpg
    DSC00001A_resize.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00002A_resize.jpg
    DSC00002A_resize.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
hi straho.peev,

if it wasn't considerably larger than the nearby michahellis this should be a herring gull (larus argentatus) from a very northern origin, possibly the white sea - as it seems to be still in complete juvenile plumage. there is some resemblance with great black-backed gull but head and underparts too well marked, bill not substantial enough and size not much larger than michahellis.

Hello,

I agree with a Herring too.

I would exclude GBBG because of head structure, eye jizz, and too dark on chin, lore, and chest, belive GBBG tend to show (in Nov-Dec) dark on top and back of eye, and a slightly clean chest.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back