Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 181 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 08:47   #1
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!!

Jeez - how did you binonerds miss this?!

New Zeiss Victory SF in 8x42, and 10x42.

92% transmission (but not more *teehee*), wide-angle fields, decent ER, and a triple bridge design that's guaranteed to have Swaro's Legal Eagles running straight to Brock for advice !!

Feast your eyes peeps
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e...inoculars.html
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e...rs.html#models
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Spo...TORY-SF_EN.pdf

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 08:54   #2
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeiss Victory SF.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	499977

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:04   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Headline specs: Schmidt-Pechan roofs, Ultra-FL-Type objectives, 92% transmission, 780g, 18mm ER

8x42:
148 (count 'em) m @ 1000m Fov, which they are saying is 64 degrees - so something skewiff there already....

10x42:
120 (count 'em) m @ 1000m Fov, which they are saying is 65 degrees - so something skewiff there again....

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:04   #4
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

The 5900+ views of the thread below suggest they didn't miss it :-)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=283229
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:14   #5
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Red face

Haha .... my bad - thanks Pete.

Not sure if those links I posted are in that thread, but they came off the Oz website today.

Something a bit fishy about those Fov specs (either the angle, or width measurement contains a typo).

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:30   #6
winwinbino

Everything is fine and seems interesting, but not the Swaro-look open bridge. Why those Zeiss deisgners not having something more creative or they want to tell us that the HT's high bridge is second ?
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:33   #7
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

So SF is Zeiss' answer to the Swarovision.....

SF:- Super Flat field, or Super Fast focuser,

Either way Brock's not gunna like it!

And that's before he checks the sticker price!

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:38   #8
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwinbino View Post
Everything is fine and seems interesting, but not the Swaro-look open bridge. Why those Zeiss deisgners not having something more creative or they want to tell us that the HT's high bridge is second ?
It does seem strange to go to this "open-bridge style" after trumpeting the benefits of the HT "high H bridge", but Zeiss do say that it allows the focusing mechanism (lens elements?) to be moved further back, thus improving balance. I think it's just a further attempt to differentiate from the HT .....not that the field prescription (flat v's circle of condition) doesn't already do that.

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 09:50   #9
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
So SF is Zeiss' answer to the Swarovision.....

SF:- Super Flat field, or Super Fast focuser,

Either way Brock's not gunna like it!

And that's before he checks the sticker price!

Chosun
SF appears to stand for Smart Focus.

From the Zeiss site:

"The outstanding SMART FOCUS concept allows you to respond as quickly and intuitively as if the binoculars were your seventh sense."

From the press release:

"All of these features are combined in the comfortable focusing ergonomics under the name of “Smart Focus”, abbreviated in the model name with “SF.”
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 10:25   #10
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
SF appears to stand for Smart Focus.

From the Zeiss site:

"The outstanding SMART FOCUS concept allows you to respond as quickly and intuitively as if the binoculars were your seventh sense."

From the press release:

"All of these features are combined in the comfortable focusing ergonomics under the name of “Smart Focus”, abbreviated in the model name with “SF.”
Cheers Bruce

Still don't think Brock's gunna like it ..... even if Zeiss do claim "The equally new seven-lens eyepiece with field flattener creates a sharp image all the way to the edges, an especially large field of view and greatly reduced “globe effect” that can annoy some."

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 10:28   #11
Torview

SF schnell Fokus

Last edited by Torview : Wednesday 4th June 2014 at 10:39.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 10:31   #12
dalat

Quote:
Still don't think Brock's gunna like it ...
What's all that about Brock, the real question is: will Dennis like it? Will we have a new best birding binocular in the world?
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 10:36   #13
Torview

Dennis will like it if Albinos likes it........and when its 8x32.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 11:36   #14
edwincjones

Quote:
Jeez - how did you binonerds miss this?!

New Zeiss Victory SF in 8x42, and 10x42.

92% transmission (but not more *teehee*), wide-angle fields, decent ER, and a triple bridge design that's guaranteed to have Swaro's Legal Eagles running straight to Brock for advice !!

Feast your eyes peeps
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e...inoculars.html
http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/e...rs.html#models
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Spo...TORY-SF_EN.pdf

Chosun

MISS IT?- see Experiencce New Birding thread, we have been discussing for two weeks

edj
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 12:41   #15
St. Elmo

Bridges….

Some thoughts on the HT - SF bridges (having held neither).

Perhaps the HT is meant for larger (predominantly male) gloved hands of hunters whereas the SF bridge design intended to accommodate ungloved male and female hands.

If "feeling good to the hand" is important (it is to me), that might explain things.

Mike
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 12:52   #16
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elmo View Post
Bridges….

Some thoughts on the HT - SF bridges (having held neither).

Perhaps the HT is meant for larger (predominantly male) gloved hands of hunters whereas the SF bridge design intended to accommodate ungloved male and female hands.

If "feeling good to the hand" is important (it is to me), that might explain things.

Mike
Hi Mike

I haven't held and SF yet but HT feels so good in the hands that last winter I was leaving my gloves off just to enjoy the wonderful feel of the HTs. And yes they handle just fine with winter gloves on.

BTW there is a press release about SF available on the Zeiss website.

Lee
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 13:19   #17
Hermann

Quote:
Such designs with a triple bridge have been around for such a long time, e.g. in porros with long objective tubes, that I seriously doubt there'll be any legal problems with it. AFAIK Swarovski's patent covers the focussing mechanism, and I very much doubt the one Zeiss uses is in any way similar to it ...

Hermann
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 13:21   #18
henry link

Quote:
Haha .... my bad - thanks Pete.

Not sure if those links I posted are in that thread, but they came off the Oz website today.

Something a bit fishy about those Fov specs (either the angle, or width measurement contains a typo).

Chosun
Do you mean the AFOV specs look too low for the naive (magnification X real field) method and too high for the ISO method? Could be they are actual measurements of the true angle subtended by the apparent field, which would include the effects of distortion. Swarovski AFOV specs appear to be done that way now. It's a good idea, but obviously AFOV specs done that way can only be compared to others done the same way.

From here on I think I'll post to the old thread to prevent confusion.
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 14:31   #19
lmans66

Looks to be a good bino but comes at a steep increase in cost....2435 Euros or $3300. It sure seems that optics (lens, bino's and scopes) are getting very pricey. You pay for what you get but wow, just think if you opted for the newest out there in terms of scopes and bino's what your wallet would look like.

Can one afford both the scope and the bino's now? Is that the message now hitting us?

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 14:55   #20
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
Looks to be a good bino but comes at a steep increase in cost....2435 Euros or $3300. It sure seems that optics (lens, bino's and scopes) are getting very pricey. You pay for what you get but wow, just think if you opted for the newest out there in terms of scopes and bino's what your wallet would look like.

Can one afford both the scope and the bino's now? Is that the message now hitting us?
I feel this discussion is a bit exaggerated.
Firstly, adviced prices at launch are never shop prices.
Second, binocular prices have not gone up. You can obtain a binocular with the same quality for the same price + inflation. 20 years ago, the top binocular cost around 1000 euro. With 3% inflation a year, this is equal to 1750 euro in 2014. At this price point, you have better binoculars nowadays.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 15:05   #21
Kammerdiner

Quote:

I think those prices include 19% German VAT, so my guess is that here in the states anyway, the SF's will probably be around the same price as the SV's, maybe $2500?

My wife and I travel with two binos and a scope sitting on the back seat. When I think of what I paid for this, I definitely question my sanity.

But then we look at the birds (and fish, and whales, and other stuff) and it all seems worth it once again. Kind of a lifetime investment.

Mark
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 16:10   #22
lmans66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post

My wife and I travel with two binos and a scope sitting on the back seat. When I think of what I paid for this, I definitely question my sanity.

But then we look at the birds (and fish, and whales, and other stuff) and it all seems worth it once again. Kind of a lifetime investment.

Mark
Agreed...it is a lifetime investment...That is the reason why I purchased the HT's over the Conquest for I really don't think the Conquest is a 'lifer'....

Same with camera gear and same with decision on a scope I would like. But wow, like as said, it is a killer on the pocket book. It isn't a matter of just having a pair of binos but now the scope and the camera gear...jim

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 16:36   #23
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I think those prices include 19% German VAT, so my guess is that here in the states anyway, the SF's will probably be around the same price as the SV's, maybe $2500?

Mark
Mark

You hit the nail on the head. And if you look at the moolah some folks spend on hi-fi, cars, gym membership, cigarettes and beer and two new mobile phones and laptops a year..... spending the odd fortune on bins and scopes doesn't seem so bad. Does it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the SF comes out a bit more expensive than the EL SV, what with the better spec, better made, reliable focus etc.

Just kidding Mark

Lee
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 16:44   #24
Hermann

Quote:
Agreed...it is a lifetime investment...That is the reason why I purchased the HT's over the Conquest for I really don't think the Conquest is a 'lifer'....
Well ... When I bought my Zeiss 10x40 BGA in 1980, I thought it was a lifetime investment. And then I bought the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA in the 1990s. My next lifetime investment was my Zeiss Victory 10x40. And then it was a Nikon 10x40 SE. Also a lifetime investment.

After that I said to myself that I'd wait with my next lifetime investment until there's some *real* progress. And a pair where everything was just right. Alright, I bought a few bins here and there, but nothing *really* expensive.

But looking at the Victory SF, that may well be my next lifetime investment.

Hermann
Old Wednesday 4th June 2014, 16:59   #25
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
Well ... When I bought my Zeiss 10x40 BGA in 1980, I thought it was a lifetime investment. And then I bought the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA in the 1990s. My next lifetime investment was my Zeiss Victory 10x40. And then it was a Nikon 10x40 SE. Also a lifetime investment.

After that I said to myself that I'd wait with my next lifetime investment until there's some *real* progress. And a pair where everything was just right. Alright, I bought a few bins here and there, but nothing *really* expensive.

But looking at the Victory SF, that may well be my next lifetime investment.

Hermann
Its a familiar story Hermann, except I bought my Dialyt 10x40 BGAs in 1986 and kept them until 2003 and then EL, FL, HT .............

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: