Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 16th June 2014, 19:59   #1
thomasbarker81

Hawke Frontier ED around the world

Over the last 9 months I went travelling with my new wife around the world. We visited most of South America, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia.

I pretty much used a pair of Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 everyday, subjecting them to ridiculous heat and humidity, freezing temperatures and everything inbetween.

Originally I was going to take my Zeiss FL 8x42, however I decided that I wasn't prepared to risk losing/breaking/damaging them. I therefore went for something that would still be a pleasure to use but weren't quite so precious.

For the whole time they were an absolute pleasure to use, optics were nigh on perfect, they never me wanting. Mechanically they functioned in all conditions, the focus ring did get slightly stiffer when it was very cold and was pretty loose in the hottest places but this was pretty minor. The only problem I encountered was that sand got into the mechanism that slides the eyepiece down meaning the eyepiece cant be completely twisted down, not a huge deal even when I wore glasses though. This should be hopefully sorted when I return them under warranty.

I know some people have questioned the build quality of hawkes, saying the optics might be good but they aren't up to the build quality of more traditional brands, but i obviously haven't really found that

Anyway just wanted to give some kudos to the hawkes, an absolute bargain for the price I think.
Old Sunday 29th June 2014, 10:18   #2
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
I agree and have a pair of Hawke Frontier 10 x 43's - optically superb. Believe me or not I was talking to a birder in Cyprus who had 8 x 43 Hawke Frontier as well as a pair of Leica's - can't remember which model, but he said he could not seperate them in terms of optical quality.

Only issue I have had is with the 'flip down' lens caps which came detached in the field far more easily than I expected, necessitating purchase of a replacement from Hawke. I just take them off altogether now when I go out. Also the small hard plastic cover over the bridge came off in the field, this is a screw on bit which is only important for finish effect, but it does need careful monitoring to make sure it does not come loose with use in the field.

Other than that, absolutely superb binoculars.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Sunday 29th June 2014, 14:24   #3
Ratal

I have the 10X43 and wouldn't swap them. When and if these give up the ghost I'd just buy another pair. Stunning optics, amazing price.

10/10 from me.

I also have the Hawke ED85 Endurance scope and for me? all in under a grand bins and scope combo? Yeah cheers I'll say I'm happy with my lot!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: