Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Monday 9th November 2015, 16:02   #851
chrisj123

hi guys
just thought i would post a couple of shots taken at the weekend in lousy weather and hi iso just to give this thread a bit of a boost
https://flic.kr/p/ASATTk
https://flic.kr/p/AdBS5d
https://flic.kr/p/APgXdh
thanks for looking
chris
Old Saturday 21st November 2015, 19:59   #852
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Has anyone got a Neoprene Lens Covers set for this lens yet?( or the Contemporary version) I am trying to decide between 'outdoorphotographygear' and 'wildlifewatchingsupplies' . BTW I see they both now do a expandable sock sleeve for the zoom portion.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st December 2015, 12:49   #853
the black fox

still love my sports model .the more i use it the more i love it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on full alert.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	568770  Click image for larger version

Name:	sunshine and shadows .jpg
Views:	262
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	568771  
Old Saturday 2nd April 2016, 09:59   #854
Barred Wobbler

I found out this morning that there's a firmware update available for the 150-600. It improves autofocus.

I've downloaded it, but as usual with anything that needs a field test, there's heavy cloud forecast all day.

I did hope that it would solve the misreporting problem, where since the last firmware update my 7DII fails to detect the lens through my Canon MkIII converter, but no such luck.
Old Friday 15th April 2016, 12:58   #855
danevansBOP

Anyone tried this lense with an 80D?

View my blog: djewildlife.blogspot.co.uk
Old Monday 2nd May 2016, 06:57   #856
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

I bought this lens on the evidence of this thread and Brad Hill's recommendations, took it out to Spain with me this weekend and was very happy with almost the first shot I took with it - camera is a D7100, hand held.

The shot has been cropped by about half, and resized but no other processing undertaken. All I need now is some arm-strengthening excercises...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1113.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	583101  
Old Wednesday 11th May 2016, 20:35   #857
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

I traded in a Nikon 80-400 zoom to get this lens, and the improvement in both reach and quality continues to impress.

I have a Kenco 1.4X converter which I used with the 80-400, and thought I would try it out on the Siggy. Today I found an obliging Spotted Flycatcher which enabled me to take comparison shots in a few moments with and without the converter.

Somewhat disappointing results as you can see - the lens focussed OK with the converter on, but the degradation was quite marked. However, I don't really feel the need for extra reach with the converter as the Siggy on it's own is giving me good enough results.

Hope this is of interest to anyone considering getting the Kenco.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PF no converter.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	584382  Click image for larger version

Name:	PF with Kenco.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	584383  
Old Wednesday 11th May 2016, 23:13   #858
hoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Etheridge View Post
I bought this lens on the evidence of this thread and Brad Hill's recommendations, took it out to Spain with me this weekend and was very happy with almost the first shot I took with it - camera is a D7100, hand held.

The shot has been cropped by about half, and resized but no other processing undertaken. All I need now is some arm-strengthening excercises...
Hi Mark, I use this lens with D610 body, mounted on this Sirui monopod. My arms thank me. And far less cumbersome than the tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_monopod.html
Old Thursday 7th July 2016, 16:35   #859
Barred Wobbler

150-600 Sport with Canon 1.4x MkIII Converter.

About a year ago, after I bought my lens I posted on here that I couldn't get the lens in focus when mounted on my Canon 7DII with my Canon MkIII converter, even at maximum micro-adjustment on both the body and the lens. I even went so far as to buy the recommended Sigma 1.4 TC1401 converter, but I found on the first day that it was just as bad, but slower then he Canon, so back it went. The lens focused fine with live view.

When Sigma brought out a firmware update for the lens, supposedly to improve autofocus, I hoped that would cure my problem. In fact it did the opposite. The camera would no longer communicate with the lens when the 1.4x was mounted, not even in live view, when a screen popped up telling me to ensure that a lens was connected.

I gave it up as a bad job until recently. My camera dropped onto my foot from about knee height at Easter and although everything seemed OK at first I found that under certain conditions white objects appeared to bleed into adjacent black areas to the right of them. I sent the lens to Sigma in the third week of April and mentioned the focus problem with the 1.4x at the same time.

Sigma UK told me that they had detected a bit of rear-focusing on the lens and had corrected that and they replaced the mount (I assumed this would correct the focus problem), but they could find nothing wrong with the optics. It went to Japan for them to check it in the 2nd week of May and eventually it arrived back from them on 1st July with the message from Japan that the lens was fine and was within manufacturing limits. Quite why it took them 6 weeks to find this out I don't know. I had assumed the delay was down to getting parts. But OK, at least the lens wasn't damaged.

Anyway. I tested the lens and found straight away that the problem with the tele-converter was no different than before. I got back in touch with Sigma UK on Monday and today after a second email to them I received this reply;

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I did know the answer to your problem and had to e-mail Japan. Normally in these cases I would let the customer Know what was happening but unfortunately on this occasion it slipped my mind.
I have heard back from Japan over the issue where the lens is not recognised by the camera when using the Canon tele-converter.
What you have experienced could unfortunately be down to the content of the latest firmware update of the lens which was designed to improve its AF performance. I must mention that Sigma do not guarantee the functionality of our lens when using other manufacturers converters. That withstanding if it was working on your camera with the Canon converter before you updated the lens firmware then if you send us the lens we can install the earlier version.

That was what I suspected all along. The firmware update screwed things up. I've since found from googling that other users experienced exactly the same problem.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1439030

What gets my goat about this is the fact that Sigma designs lenses to fit different manufacturers' equipment and bases its whole lens business on this, relying on us users to take advantage of it. They then appear to have designed a firmware update than actually excludes a piece of Canon equipment. Their bread and butter, and when it's brought to their attention they claim that it's nothing to do with them; 'I must mention that Sigma do not guarantee the functionality of our lens when using other manufacturers converters.'

That is bizarre!

I know they want us to buy the dedicated TC1401 (which only fits about three of their lenses), but that is surely taking the Mickey.

Incidentally. I mounted the lens and converter on my old 7D MkI as a test and lo and behold the camera picks up the lens and autofocuses in live view.

Black mark to Sigma.

I don't think I'll be taking up their offer of earlier firmware. It would be daft to lose any improvements in autofocus just so that once in a blue moon I could fit a TC
Old Thursday 7th July 2016, 19:22   #860
wardy11

I know it's not really much help but the Canon mkii converter works perfectly with the Sigma 150-600 C & Sport lenses after the firmware update.
It is frustrating that the mkiii doesn't work but hopefully if enough pressure is applied by users, they may issue a further update to include the mkiii, maybe they value the owners enough to consider this option?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: