Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.94 average.
Old Sunday 7th December 2014, 06:18   #101
gandytron
Registered User
 
gandytron's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mark View Post
Just talked to a Sigma rep today at a demo day and the other version of the 150-600 (not the sport) is due to ship at least in limited quantities the first of February. He said they intend to ship both mounts not one and then the other.
Steve ( who isn't buying any more camera equipment till after Christmas anyway)
Did you get any indication of the price or weight of the "Contemporary" lens?

Making comparisons between the Sigma "sport" and the tamron is a bit artificial given the disparity in weight/price, but this info is currently not published for the contemporary.

Interesting times in the realm of 3rd party zooms!
__________________
World: 2,657 (latest: Three-wattled Bellbird, Panama)
Patch: 162 (latest: Slaty-legged Crake)
http://bangkokcitybirding.blogspot.com/
gandytron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 7th December 2014, 09:59   #102
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper
 
Roy C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Barnstaple,North Devon,UK
Posts: 16,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by the black fox View Post
had a play with one today at a large photo shop based show in north wales today ,and having used the tamron i can only say this lens leaves it standing in the dust ,i used it in really poor light in a narrow back alley type street .and even got a fair amount of lock on's of flying seagulls that appeared and disappeared as they flew overhead .done a mini review on flickr for now link here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/15959438662/

the proof is in the pudding 1/200th sec hand held with nearly 3 k.g of lens that around 6lbs in weight to the yanks
looking good Jeff especially if it is any good for BIF. Also an enormous plus for anyone who is reach limited will be if it is any good with a 1.4x tc.

BIF was the biggest con for me with the Tammy 150-600 - I was on the estuary in really good light and it would not lock on to distant flying Curlews, I repeated the test several times all with the same result it seemed as if the contrast was not enough for the lens to AF. The following day I took the 400/5.6 as well and tested that with a 1.4x tc attached and it locked on to flying Curlews no problem. I switched back to the Tammy and once again it refused to lock on. The Tammy is fine for reasonably close perched birds but even then it can labor a bit with poor contrasting targets. It will be interesting to see how the Sigma 150-600 non sport measures up to the Tammy in terms of price, weight and performance.
Roy C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th December 2014, 10:12   #103
Stephen Mark
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Bern NC
Posts: 299
The weight was put up on B&H's website briefly (not there now) as about the same as the Tammy and the rep was able to confirm that said within a couple of oz. but as far as price a little more vague as "competitive with the Tamron. If the "non sport" is a winner and Nikon rolls out a new 7200/9300 in the first quarter I could be in the poor house by Memorial Day.
Steve
Stephen Mark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 7th December 2014, 19:21   #104
micloi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warwick
Posts: 574
A couple with the 7D mk2 and Sigma 150-600mm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...m/7D%202/1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...m/7D%202/2.jpg
micloi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 7th December 2014, 20:40   #106
the black fox
Registered User
 
the black fox's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: flint
Posts: 616
good set mic .i still got loads to process and not much free time
__________________
see more of my wildlife photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/
the black fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 00:41   #108
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
results

Don't mean any offense, but these images all look very soft to me. Are these hand held and maybe the weight is too much? Not sure what it is. I think like all of us we are trying to decide if we are better off with the Sigma, the Tamron or maybe the new Canon 100-400 plus the 1.4x.
__________________
Isaac Grant
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 04:25   #109
micloi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warwick
Posts: 574
No offence taken. From the distance these were taken and the cloudy British weather these are not soft at all and sharper than I could ever get with the tamron, which I also own.
micloi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 05:01   #110
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by micloi View Post
No offence taken. From the distance these were taken and the cloudy British weather these are not soft at all and sharper than I could ever get with the tamron, which I also own.
I have read your opinions and the initial shots you posted as a comparison. Is there any chance that you can go to a local pond or something that holds geese or what ever ducks or swans you guys have and actually do a real comparison?

Meaning same camera with both lenses of the same bird? Something close is better cause it speaks to the actual performance of the lens.

I keep reading how the Sigma is better and have seen shots with a chart but very few of wild birds, animals that I find better. I would love if it were much better as it would be an upgrade I could easily afford. I am also sure I could sell my Tamron for top dollar now as it is still on back order.

I posted this and a few others on the Tamron forum. Got this the other day using the Tamron.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553...n/photostream/

Would love to know how the Sigma would have done.
__________________
Isaac Grant
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 08:32   #111
Paul Jarvis
Registered Member
 
Paul Jarvis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rufford, Lancashire
Posts: 8,681
There are not many good days in the uk at the moment, very grey and damp. So it's hard for micheal to get out. I don't think the shots are soft The moorhen is very good. I agree that some other subjects would good to see as a comparison and some more bif shots.
__________________
Follow me on Facebook and Flickr @ Paul Jarvis Images for the latest pictures.
Paul Jarvis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 13:35   #112
the black fox
Registered User
 
the black fox's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: flint
Posts: 616
isaac if you have a look on my flickrstream there are a couple more shots there ,i particularly like the one of the car keys and c/f card as you can read the logo on the card this was taken hand held at around 100feet away ,in a back alley with terrible light.
personally i could not fault the lens at all even to the point of saying it enhanced the performance of the 70d i was using ,and having used the tamron this lens made it look like a toy .i'm not in the finical position to buy one after car troubles this year so my report is completely unbiased and based on fact not sales hype .

here ya go link to the shot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/15384405593/
you can clearly read the edge logo on the c/f card in the shady underside .quite remarkable in my books .if you wish me to test one further for you i will accept paypal gift for the sum of 1600-00 with pleasure :-0)
__________________
see more of my wildlife photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/

Last edited by the black fox : Wednesday 17th December 2014 at 13:39.
the black fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 17:35   #113
micloi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warwick
Posts: 574
I took great photos with the Tamron, especially in Cyprus where the weather was much better.
Don't get me wrong, it is a great lens and I am keeping it too (at least until the Sigma Contemporary version comes out).

The Sigma is better in 3 areas:
1. Contrast open wide and at f7.1
2. Chromatic aberration (VERY well controlled by the Sigma)
3. AF speed and accuracy (the Tamron is good but the Sigma is great)

At f8 and f9 there is less difference but I need a lens that I can shoot in UK weather so the Sigma will be my main lens.
micloi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 20:15   #114
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by micloi View Post
I took great photos with the Tamron, especially in Cyprus where the weather was much better.
Don't get me wrong, it is a great lens and I am keeping it too (at least until the Sigma Contemporary version comes out).

The Sigma is better in 3 areas:
1. Contrast open wide and at f7.1
2. Chromatic aberration (VERY well controlled by the Sigma)
3. AF speed and accuracy (the Tamron is good but the Sigma is great)

At f8 and f9 there is less difference but I need a lens that I can shoot in UK weather so the Sigma will be my main lens.
If there ever is a day where the sun is out I would love to see some comparisons that show that it is better.
__________________
Isaac Grant
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 20:21   #115
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black fox View Post
isaac if you have a look on my flickrstream there are a couple more shots there ,i particularly like the one of the car keys and c/f card as you can read the logo on the card this was taken hand held at around 100feet away ,in a back alley with terrible light.
personally i could not fault the lens at all even to the point of saying it enhanced the performance of the 70d i was using ,and having used the tamron this lens made it look like a toy .i'm not in the finical position to buy one after car troubles this year so my report is completely unbiased and based on fact not sales hype .

here ya go link to the shot
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/15384405593/
you can clearly read the edge logo on the c/f card in the shady underside .quite remarkable in my books .if you wish me to test one further for you i will accept paypal gift for the sum of 1600-00 with pleasure :-0)
Again very hard to tell for me. Maybe I am just still a total newb!! Considering the distance and light it may be great. But on its own it isn't. And nothing to compare it to.
__________________
Isaac Grant
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 20:22   #116
micloi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warwick
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosesbroadbill View Post
If there ever is a day where the sun is out I would love to see some comparisons that show that it is better.
That's probably going to take some time but fingers crossed :)
micloi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 17th December 2014, 20:46   #117
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
good light

Quote:
Originally Posted by micloi View Post
That's probably going to take some time but fingers crossed :)
Man it sounds miserable in the UK. Can't get close to the birds and no good light. Plus all of your warblers look the same.
__________________
Isaac Grant
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st December 2014, 18:49   #118
the black fox
Registered User
 
the black fox's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: flint
Posts: 616
yes it is at the moment ,and our fuel costs 5 times as much to .but on the bright side not many people get shot over here :-0)
__________________
see more of my wildlife photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/
the black fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 21st December 2014, 21:05   #119
tjsimonsen
Registered User
 
tjsimonsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NW London, UK
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosesbroadbill View Post
Man it sounds miserable in the UK. Can't get close to the birds and no good light. Plus all of your warblers look the same.
Well, yes. But we can tell our flycatchers apart

Thomas
tjsimonsen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 01:10   #120
hosesbroadbill
Registered User
 
hosesbroadbill's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 436
flycatchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsimonsen View Post
Well, yes. But we can tell our flycatchers apart

Thomas
Nobody can confidently tell empidonax flycatchers without them calling. Even some birds that are in the hands of experienced banders are left undecided. Now if they are calling things are entirely different. Recently there was a very late empid in Massachusetts. People were trying to decide what it was. Lots of the "experts" weighed in on the bird and opinions were split almost evenly between 3 species. Maybe we should have gotten a few Brits over here to help.

Until then I am struggling to decide what bird to go and get great closeups on next such as this Clay-colored Sparrow (taken with Tamron):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553...n/photostream/

Or this Song Sparrow

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553...n/photostream/

Or this long staying Cassin's Kingbird:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553...n/photostream/

Still waiting for this kind of detail with the Sigma...
__________________
Isaac Grant

Last edited by hosesbroadbill : Monday 22nd December 2014 at 01:14.
hosesbroadbill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 04:24   #121
Hor Kee
Penang birder
 
Hor Kee's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
looking good Jeff especially if it is any good for BIF. Also an enormous plus for anyone who is reach limited will be if it is any good with a 1.4x tc.

BIF was the biggest con for me with the Tammy 150-600 - I was on the estuary in really good light and it would not lock on to distant flying Curlews, I repeated the test several times all with the same result it seemed as if the contrast was not enough for the lens to AF. The following day I took the 400/5.6 as well and tested that with a 1.4x tc attached and it locked on to flying Curlews no problem. I switched back to the Tammy and once again it refused to lock on. The Tammy is fine for reasonably close perched birds but even then it can labor a bit with poor contrasting targets. It will be interesting to see how the Sigma 150-600 non sport measures up to the Tammy in terms of price, weight and performance.
Roy, that was my exact problem with the Tamron. When faced with close-up slow-flying birds, it gave an even more infuriating result. Each other shot was out of focus despite the shots before and after that shot being perfectly in focus. I have never gone back to the Tamron since.
Hor Kee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 07:38   #122
Paul - Herts
Paul Herts
 
Paul - Herts's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: herts
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosesbroadbill View Post
Still waiting for this kind of detail with the Sigma...
Are you finding samples to look at? I can't find many shots with it at all; there was a Chinese site which took so long to load just the words, in Chinese, that I gave up on it. I've seen bits and pieces but nowhere near enough user shots to make any sort of judgement on. There is a Flickr group but even that seems (very) lacking in members.

I was under the impression that there was a serious supply shortage??

Paul
__________________
My efforts at photography and YouTube can be viewed here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/43324529@N04/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsi...4JiGEtA/videos
Paul - Herts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 09:58   #123
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper
 
Roy C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Barnstaple,North Devon,UK
Posts: 16,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosesbroadbill View Post
Still waiting for this kind of detail with the Sigma...
Its not everyone who wants to disturb the birds by getting near just for bragging rights .
If your shots are anything to go by then it seems like you have no problem disturbing the birds as long as you get the shot!.
In the UK there is a strong birding community who put the welfare of the birds first - in general bird snappers are scorned upon by genuine birders (and quite rightly so in a lot of cases). In the main good bird shots are acquired by setting up hides (and feeding stations) if you are not prepared to do this then long distance/heavy cropped shots are the order of the day for most of us.
Why are you 'still waiting for this kind of detail with the Sigma', what difference is it to you? if you are happy with your lens then that's great just get out there and enjoy it instead of bragging and downing of other folks efforts and gear. This 'my gear is best attitude' is getting tiresome for a lot of folk I suspect.
Roy C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 14:13   #124
O.Reville1989
I started off with nothing and I've still got some of it left.....

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 1,649
Tried one briefly via a friend last week.
Heavy but not to the point where it is uncomfortable, it feels like a really well made lens.
Handheld at 600mm I struggled a bit when the bird was small in the frame (Great Tit on a feeder 25 metres away) but i wouldn't often attempt to photograph a bird this small at this distance.
In this scenario I found the bird to be soft at F6.3 at 600mm but improved noticeably at F8.
Under more typical situations I found the quality very good, especially up to about 500mm wide open, stopping down to F8 again improved things at 600mm.
I'm not sure if I would buy it, I do most of my work handheld and compared to my 400 F5.6 Canon it is a monster which didn't appeal to me. That said on a monopod it was far nicer to use and the extra 200mm (although i'd spend most of the time at F8 at 600mm) definitely would be be useful.

Personally i'd love to use it on full frame, or maybe the 1D mark iv, and see how it gets on.
On a 70D though it was good, but a bit unwieldy at 600mm. I'll be sticking to the 400 prime...for now.
O.Reville1989 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 22nd December 2014, 17:46   #125
micloi
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warwick
Posts: 574
If anyone wants to try one and live close to or passing by Warwickshire let me know.
micloi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 1.4 DG Tele-converter on Sigma 150-500 OS Lens. WHIMBREL Sigma & Other Third Party Lenses 2 Friday 6th March 2009 16:14

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.23478389 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:37.