Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 299 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 00:43   #51
kawwauser

I am an sx40 user,i ordered the sx 60 Monday night,looking forward to that extra zoom,hopefully will have it for my next day off next monday

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 02:29   #52
crazyfingers

Just hope that Canon has improved the low light capability with the Sx60. I had the Sx40 before the Sx50 and the 40 was and is better in the shadows than the 50 is.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 07:52   #53
andycrashpilot

I think you will find the sx60 a disappointment from what i have been reading on another forum. That much as to people sending them back. Poor picture quality lack of shooting whilst videoing no panoramic and less iso settings, video and still shooting is what i would like but not really important. Not sure i can put another forum n here as beining a new member I do not want to upset anyone. Private message and i will send link if that ok. Andy
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 09:03   #54
the black fox

neil are your shots j-peg images or does the sx60 take raw files ,if so whats the difference in real terms
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 10:40   #55
punta

Yep - from what i have read it is not a good SX50 upgrade. the IS is not even as good which did surprise me.

Raw is good on the SX50 Black Fox, better for me than jpg fine, but you cant use the 1.5 and 2x tele crop converters with it. Which is a shame as i did like using the 1.5 to fill the frame with the bird - I just have to try and get closer now :)
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 13:12   #56
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L Jarvis View Post
The photos and videos shown look superb. Away with the 40 and 50 bring on the 60! I will be in Singapore shortly, anyone know of any good retail outlets there that might have this?
Sim Lin Mall is the place to go for choices in Singapore Robert. I got my GH3 there. I guess you'll be heading out to the Singei Buloh Wetlands. A good place to test out the SX60.
Neil
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 13:18   #57
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black fox View Post
neil are your shots j-peg images or does the sx60 take raw files ,if so whats the difference in real terms
Mostly converted from Raw with DPP. But they didn't need much adjustment. I haven't tried any low light shooting yet.
Neil
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 15:07   #58
andycrashpilot

I have heard i can post this here so here is the other forum its called dpreview and the test with the new sx60hs
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 15:31   #59
crazyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycrashpilot View Post
I have heard i can post this here so here is the other forum its called dpreview and the test with the new sx60hs
I had just found that thread also. Just finished it. Yes the comparison to the SX50 is very disappointing to hear. The SX60 has slower focus and worse IS than the SX50. It sounds like the SX60 is a downgrade from the SX50 despite costing $150 more than the SX50.

Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 16:49   #60
HermitIbis

Is this the comparison test you are talking about?

http://psnp.lightshedder.com/?p=267
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 17:11   #61
Nick Leech

Yes!

Does sound disappointing........unless the SX60 tested was a pre-production version and things have improved with the SX60s in the shops now?
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 18:36   #62
punta

The Sony looked the best. But no raw facility
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 21:48   #63
baofeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sim Lin Mall is the place to go for choices in Singapore Robert. I got my GH3 there. I guess you'll be heading out to the Singei Buloh Wetlands. A good place to test out the SX60.
Neil
I am a Singaporean and Sim Lim Square is a bad place to go for electronic now. Here is one article on it (http://exchersonesusaurea.blogspot.s...thugs-and.html). Even Singaporeans don't like to go Sim Lim Square now (it quite deserted)

If you really want to buy in Singapore, go to Funan Mall. Mscolor, alan photo, Cathay photo, Tk photo are usually those recommended in Singapore.

But Singaporean like to go HK or US to buy camera and lens as Singapore price is expensive. Not sure why you want to buy in Singapore
Old Thursday 2nd October 2014, 21:51   #64
baofeng

strange no one mention P600 which is cheaper
Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 04:06   #65
Marcobf

Cheapest price I've seen for the SX60 is 300

http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-p...FSXKtAodyiIA2A
Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 10:26   #66
Nick Leech

eglobalcentral.eu will not deliver to the UK (I checked). They say UK users must use their UK site (which is managed separately): eglobalcentral.co.uk

The price on their UK website is 325, which is 25 more than the EU website! But still a very good price. I checked and there is definitely no import duty/tax to be paid. Only downside is that warranty repairs involve posting the camera to their Hong Kong address.

If you look on trustpilot, eglobalcentral seem to get pretty good ratings. Might be worth a punt to save money cf. normal UK prices such as Wex.
Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 16:37   #67
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

More expensive are Digital Rev for 359. I believe they have quick delivery and and a good reputation? I have never used them so I happy to be contradicted.

@SteveBabbs
Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 16:52   #68
kawwauser

I ordered a canon sx 60 from digital rev 8.30 Monday night it arrived dinner time today ,very impressed,you are able to track you order all the way from hong kong

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 18:21   #69
crazyfingers

I'm seeing more and more comments on line on blogs and camera discussion forums about the SX60 not being an upgrade to the SX50 but would probably be upgrade from the SX40.

Comments that matter to me are the less effective image stabilization than the SX50, slower focus at high zoom, inaccurate focus at high zoom. Since most of my bird photography I do at the max zoom, this is not sounding like an upgrade to me. I read a review yesterday about same shot comparisons at high zoom, the SX50 is providing better still photo results than the SX60 does.

For me video is not necessary. I don't need it or ever use it. And Wifi to my tablet is also totally a waste of money. USB to my computer is what I would continue to use. I'd never put full resolution photos on my tablet. Waste of space just for casual viewing.

As an SX50 user, those are just some tentative conclusions that I've been coming to on the SX60.

I'd add that the SX40 actually has better low light capability than the SX50. It was quite noticeable to me when I upgraded from the SX40 to the SX50. Anyone using the SX40 will need to consider that the SX60 will also be less capable in that regard.

Last edited by crazyfingers : Friday 3rd October 2014 at 18:24.

Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 19:39   #70
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

about six months ago I read that Canon would be taking a new direction with the SX60 - I was hoping for a larger sensor even if it meant double the size/weight. The SX60 still has a tiny sensor which for me rules it out as AF and IQ will always be compromised.
BTW I owned both the SX40 and then the SX50 but got rid of them both as they were just not up to it for me, I cannot see the SX60 being any better.

Last edited by Roy C : Friday 3rd October 2014 at 19:41.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 19:51   #71
CalvinFold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
BTW I owned both the SX40 and then the SX50 but got rid of them both as they were just not up to it for me, I cannot see the SX60 being any better.
So did you ever settle on a superzoom bridge camera, or did you go another direction?

I've been rather impressed by Niel's photos, but my threshold might be oddly low too, given my current setup. Maybe I'm just missing something?

I saw an interesting set of posts elsewhere that pointed out, quite rightly, that every review of IQ (SX50 vs SX60) on the web is being unfair because they are not properly taking into account the resolution difference.

So if I'm currently on an old, old, OLD camera and want digiscoping-like zooms, is the SX60 really a "bad camera"?

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 20:29   #72
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
So did you ever settle on a superzoom bridge camera, or did you go another direction?
No, I went back to the DSLR set-up although I do not snap many birds these days due to the weight.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd October 2014, 20:57   #73
crazyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post

So if I'm currently on an old, old, OLD camera and want digiscoping-like zooms, is the SX60 really a "bad camera"?
It's sounding like to me that the SX60 is not an improvement over the SX50 for the main things that birders want to do with a big zoom bridge camera. That is take nice photos, though not DSLR quality, for close ups and big zoom to make an ID on something very far away.

If I were you I'd get the SX50. There are still plenty out there in the channels, internet especially, and the SX50 costs a lot less than the SX60 currently costs.

Old Monday 6th October 2014, 08:54   #74
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
No, I went back to the DSLR set-up although I do not snap many birds these days due to the weight.
The weight is a main factor for me. And the silence of a bridge camera. A third possible factor is the "intimidation" of shy birds caused by XXL cameras.
Old Monday 6th October 2014, 14:37   #75
zone8848

sx60 has much better EVF & LCD, brighter even, from what i've read, this means a lot to me, I used my friend's sx50 and the EVF&LCD just turned me down, and I just waited one year patiently for sx60 to come, image quality & usability? too early to judge because only few people has it so far.

I don't own it yet, there are sample photos at mobile01.com, a taiwan site, the original photos are not sharp at pixel level by any means, but i resized and sharped them myself, the results look much more usable,good enough for me.

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=15734
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobile01-1067bb584bd14e828f0c72bb23b63992.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	516790  Click image for larger version

Name:	mobile01-78782717c6ed3d137727c8893562a4cb.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	516791  
Advertisement