Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 14th October 2014, 07:07   #1
Peter Fox

Digiscoping with binoculars

I see that there are a few devices on the market for attaching an Iphone to one of the eyepieces on a binocular. Has anyone any experience in using these and whether acceptable images can be achieved.
Old Tuesday 14th October 2014, 08:33   #2
FrankD

Peter,

I have the Carson Hookupz adapter and initially tried it on a few binoculars before using it on my scopes. Inexpensive and easy to use. I don't have any pics handy but will see what I can do over the next few days.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Wednesday 15th October 2014, 12:53   #3
Peter Fox

Those are extremely good, I wonder if anything like that quality can be obtained through good quality binoculars.
Old Wednesday 15th October 2014, 16:30   #4
FrankD

Peter,

My apologies. It wasn't my intention to show my Youtube channel in reply to your post. It is actually part of my signature line that appears after every post I make.

However, to answer your question, I think you could easily achieve that quality in binoculars. The issue will be in the comparisons of magnification. Those videos are shot at 18x. Most binoculars are 7-10x so you would need to be a good deal closer to the subject in order to get that type of detail...assuming we are talking video and not still shots. The latter could easily be obtained through, depending on the resolution of your camera, by cropping and "blowing up" the image afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog

Last edited by FrankD : Wednesday 15th October 2014 at 16:49.
Old Thursday 23rd October 2014, 17:29   #5
OPTIC_NUT

I've seen some good pictures from binos. One thing that helps with the aforementioned blowing up
is the extra brightness from the binoculars. If post-processing, you shrink slightly, sharpen once,
and then re-inflate.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: