• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Rock Thrush? (1 Viewer)

robmv

Little Rock Thrush? (Ethiopia)

I would be grateful for an opinion on these images which were taken a couple of weeks ago near Lake Langano in Ethiopia. My best guess at the moment is Little Rock Thrush (Monticola rufocinereus), but I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the forum.

Photo credit: Ben Gilbert

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 121
Common Redstart was my first thought, but that sharp demarcation between the grey throat and rufous breast doesn't look right. That said, I'm only really familiar with Redstarts during the British summer.

Hello

Compare with this bird . I took this picture of this common Redstart in Lebanon . At least no little rock thrushes there.

Attachments

• 429728_10152608425650291_1281170471_n.jpg
    429728_10152608425650291_1281170471_n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 83
I have seen plenty of little rock thrushes and common redstart in highland SW Saudi Arabia. Sometimes in winter they are side by side and surprisingly tricky! However, I'd go for common redstart. I dont think I saw any dark feathers at the bottom of the throat on any LRT like in this bird. Also the grey or grey-blue area tends to go a bit further down the chest.

Mike Jennings once told me he thought someone should do some DNA work on the LRT to see if it isnt really a type of redstart!

Rob

They are indeed amazingly similar, but I've seen plenty of them noticeably at Lake Langano, an excellent spot for LRT, and it looks like one of them.

The 15 pictures on African bird image Database of Little Rock thrush and the 3 ones in Tanzania Birds have all black bills

there are a lot of features supporting common redstart!

Very dark feathering on throat.
Orange underparts extend all the way up the chest - on LRT much of the chest is slate grey.
Bill colour and dimensions.
Decent eyering.
Pale (whitish) belly - can't find any pics online of LRT that show that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back