Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 20:20   #1
raptorbfl

The NEW Meopro HD line is out...still no thoughts?

Hi,

Finally, the Meopta Meopro HD line of binoculars are now physically in the major retailers, like Cabelas, Bass, Eagle Optics, along with all the major on line retailers and I have still yet to read a single review or any initial impressions about them?

Mainly, I would LOVE to know how they directly compare to the Ziess Conquest HD, or also the Vortex Razor HD?

No one yet??

Thanks
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 22:00   #2
raptorbfl

Nobody?? Ok........
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 22:38   #3
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorbfl View Post
Hi,

Finally, the Meopta Meopro HD line of binoculars are now physically in the major retailers, like Cabelas, Bass, Eagle Optics, along with all the major on line retailers and I have still yet to read a single review or any initial impressions about them?

Mainly, I would LOVE to know how they directly compare to the Ziess Conquest HD, or also the Vortex Razor HD?

No one yet??

Thanks
The Meopro line is a new one, so nobody has tried them yet.
They look to compare with a different price and quality point.

The Meostar would compare to the Conquest or the Razor.

Jerry
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 23:19   #4
raptorbfl

NDHunter,

The New Meopta Meopro HD 10 x 42 is retailing for $899 and the Conquest HD for $999. Seems like a apples to
apples comparison to me!
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 23:25   #5
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorbfl View Post
NDHunter,

The New Meopta Meopro HD 10 x 42 is retailing for $899 and the Conquest HD for $999. Seems like a apples to
apples comparison to me!

It looks like you need to compare them for yourself.

My experience is with the Conquest HD, and I like them, beyond that
I have not really tried any of the Meoptas except in a store setting.

I do like the Zeiss because of the lighter slimmer build and the coatings
are very good.

You were looking for opinion, and there it is.

Jerry
Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 23:41   #6
ceasar

There are 4 new Meopro HD binoculars listed on the Eagle Optics website. There are no specifications listed for the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 while the specs given for the 10x32 are not complete and I suspect that its stated FOV of 383' @1000 yards is incorrect and probably is for the 8x32 HD. Their prices start from $649.99 for the 8x32; $699.99 for the 10x32; $849.99 for the 8x42 and $899.99 for the 10x42. These are big jumps in prices from the old non HD models. An old model 8x42 is listed for $385.00.

They are completely redesigned however and feature "genuine flouride HD glass" along with a right eye diopter "located by the right eyepiece" instead of by the center focus wheel as it is on the old model.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/meopta

EO will have to bring the website up to date on these if they want to sell any of them.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 1st November 2014 at 23:48.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 1st November 2014, 23:57   #7
raptorbfl

Ceasar,

Im sure EO will be doing that soon. The FULL specifications are, of course, all listed on Meopta's website. However, I believe B&H Photo, Europitc, Adarama all have the full specs posted.
It is kind of strange why EO did not list the FULL specs when they added the binoculars. ALL the information is right on Meopta's site for them to use.

I just had an on line chat with Mike from Eagle Optics just before they closed today. He was nice enough and eager to do a comparison live for me. He got BOTH the new Meopro HD and the Conquest HD in his hands. He said the Meopro had virtually no CA, while the Conquest showed a small amount, Meopro has much nicer eye cups, better ergonomics and quality feel in his hands. He prefers the Meopro. He said he just liked the way the Meopro felt and the balance in his hands. He said the Meopro has a nicer rain guard and lens covers also.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

As far as comparing them myself, that will be VERY challenging since trying to find a somewhat close brick and mortar location that would acutally have these two models in stock to test is next to impossible! My only option is to purchasing them both from a on line retailer, test them together, than send back the one I dont like for refund. But im sure on line optics retailers would frown upon that.

Last edited by raptorbfl : Sunday 2nd November 2014 at 00:31.
Old Sunday 2nd November 2014, 01:33   #8
cycleguy

Hi,

I walked thru a Cabela's tonight and they were not in the store as you suggest.

CG
Old Sunday 2nd November 2014, 01:55   #9
raptorbfl

Yes, Unfortunately, the Cabelas in Hamburg PA does not yet have them in stock or display to test out. Euro Optics out in Montoursviille PA does have them in stock, but they
are just too far away of a drive for me in NJ.
Old Sunday 2nd November 2014, 05:05   #10
cycleguy

Same problem here. Can only find a small portion of available choices at local retail.

CG
Old Monday 3rd November 2014, 05:18   #11
peatmoss

I was interested in the 8x32 when it was first announced, but was turned off by the price increase over the original Meopro. Nowadays, the 8x32 Meopro HD is typically around $650, and the 8x32 Meostar has dropped to around $750, which makes me wonder if I'd be better off spending the extra $100 for the Meostar. And to make things more confusing, the 8x32 Endeavor II has already gotten some really positive comments, making me wonder how close it comes to the Meoptas at a fraction of the price. Confusing times indeed!
Old Sunday 14th December 2014, 16:06   #12
Jaymie Arnold

I recently acquired the Meopro 8 x 32 HD model, and all I can say is for the price it's an absolute GEM.
While I've personally never looked through the 8 x 32 Meostar or the 8 x 32 Zeiss Conquest HD (binoculars that seem to be among its closest competitors) I've been able to compare it with the one other binocular I currently own (a Leica Ultravid 8 x 42) and honestly I much much prefer the Meopta's in every category except dawn/dusk viewing (which makes sense given the Ultravid's larger exit pupil). The Meopro's are lightweight, well balanced, and they have very good quality eyecups. The focus wheel is buttery smooth and I find to the depth of field to be good for an 8 x 32. The quality of the image is fantastic, a very large sweet spot with excellent color saturation and contrast. I can say they are a significant upgrade over the old Meopro line, I gave my old 6.5 x 32 Meopro to a young birder and while I did enjoy that binocular this one has a much larger AFOV and the fluorite in the glass definitely boosts the image quality to another level. They are assembled in the USA. If anyone is considering a high quality 8 x 32 without dropping 2K+ I think they'd be remiss to not give this one a try.
Old Thursday 18th December 2014, 02:49   #13
marinemaster

The NEW Meopro HD line...still no thoughts?

Thanks for the review of the Meopro. Sounds great. Looks like eye relief is 17mm which is good as most 8x32 have kind of short eye relief. I do get a lot of blackouts with the Meostar 8x32 with both old nonHD and the new HD. They both have 15mm eye relief.

Last edited by marinemaster : Thursday 18th December 2014 at 02:57.
Old Thursday 1st January 2015, 02:46   #14
Inquisitor

Would it be a Captain Obvious statement to say that the body of the MeoPro HD reminds me of a Vortex Razor?
Old Thursday 1st January 2015, 11:43   #15
Boogieshrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
Would it be a Captain Obvious statement to say that the body of the MeoPro HD reminds me of a Vortex Razor?
I thought that myself only yesterday while researching the Razor HD online.

The specs are fairly different though.
Old Monday 5th January 2015, 10:56   #16
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
Thanks for the review of the Meopro. Sounds great. Looks like eye relief is 17mm which is good as most 8x32 have kind of short eye relief. I do get a lot of blackouts with the Meostar 8x32 with both old nonHD and the new HD. They both have 15mm eye relief.
On my way to Florida this past week, we made a stop at the new cabelas in Acworth GA. They had the new Meopro 8x32 HD on display. It is a real nice binocular. Very compact. Real nice eye lens oculars giving a FOV wider feel than spec's listed. More than enough eye relief for me with glasses & had a Alpha optical view. I thought the build quality was first class, no china feel there. I compared the Nikon 7 8x30 to the Meopro & there is no comparison. The Meopro really blew the the Nikon out of the water. I would definitely buy this & I might on my way back up north ... gwen
Old Monday 5th January 2015, 11:41   #17
David in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
I would definitely buy this & I might on my way back up north ... gwen
How long is your passport stamped to be below the Mason Dixon line?
Old Monday 5th January 2015, 15:08   #18
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in NC View Post
How long is your passport stamped to be below the Mason Dixon line?
Since we are both retired, when we run out of money or get to bored
Old Monday 5th January 2015, 23:16   #19
BruceH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
.......... They had the new Meopro 8x32 HD on display. It is a real nice binocular. ................. I compared the Nikon 7 8x30 to the Meopro & there is no comparison. The Meopro really blew the the Nikon out of the water. ............. ... gwen
I have yet to see the new Meopro 8X32 HD but do have a Monarch 7 8X30. It does have some quirks, but I think it is quite good even considering the small size and relatively low non sale price of $380.

Your statement that the Meopro "blew the Nikon out of the water" caught my interest. I am wondering what aspects are significantly superior. Could you please provide a little more detail. The Meopro lists on Cabelas for $280 more ($650) and is somewhat larger so that should give it some advantages. I just was not expecting it to be that superior.

The big appeal of the Monarch 7 8X30 to me is the small size and especially the light weight of about 15 oz (compared to about 21 oz for the Meopro). I doubt if the Meopro would have been in the mix when I bought the Nikon because I was looking for light weight and already have an 8X32 Nikon EDG at about 23 oz. However, it would be interesting to see how it compares to the more expensive Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 at $900 and about 22 oz. I have seen that a few times and thought it to be a winner. Can the Meopro match or beat it for less money?
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th January 2015, 01:50   #20
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I have yet to see the new Meopro 8X32 HD but do have a Monarch 7 8X30. It does have some quirks, but I think it is quite good even considering the small size and relatively low non sale price of $380.

Your statement that the Meopro "blew the Nikon out of the water" caught my interest. I am wondering what aspects are significantly superior. Could you please provide a little more detail. The Meopro lists on Cabelas for $280 more ($650) and is somewhat larger so that should give it some advantages. I just was not expecting it to be that superior.

The big appeal of the Monarch 7 8X30 to me is the small size and especially the light weight of about 15 oz (compared to about 21 oz for the Meopro). I doubt if the Meopro would have been in the mix when I bought the Nikon because I was looking for light weight and already have an 8X32 Nikon EDG at about 23 oz. However, it would be interesting to see how it compares to the more expensive Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 at $900 and about 22 oz. I have seen that a few times and thought it to be a winner. Can the Meopro match or beat it for less money?
Bruce .... I did not mean to beat up the Nikon 8x30. Thinking now maybe I should have said .... I think the Meopro was a much nicer binocular & the Nikon for its price range & spec's was a good binocular. Having said this, this is why ..... I found the Eye Lens on the Meopro more to my liking(larger) more comfortable to use. To my eyes a very flat field, crystal clear, very comfortable eye relief giving me no black outs with my glasses. It just felt better in my hands, very compact & I did not really notice the difference in the weight. Eye cups & focusing very nice. Build quality was noticeably better also. To sum it up ... I felt the Meopro was noticeably much better in every category I just mentioned. As I would expect given its price is almost twice as much, $799 at cabelas when I was there..... gwen
Old Tuesday 6th January 2015, 08:45   #21
Mark9473

Has anybody cleared up the specs for the 8x42's FOV?

On this page, it says 351 ft/1000yds (6.7):
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/sh...mm/ctgBen.html

On this other page it says 384 ft/1000yds (7.3):
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us...404043132.html

That's a pretty dramatic difference. Which is right?
Old Tuesday 6th January 2015, 17:41   #22
BruceH

gcole .... Thanks for providing the additional content to your other post. I think that puts it in perspective for me. My biggest issue with the Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 is that the eye placement is somewhat touchy. That is expected to a large extent due to the limitations of the small exit pupil and small physical size. However Nikon could have made things somewhat better I think if the eye cups were a little longer. Fortunately, it did not take long to adjust.

I think the view out of the little Monarch is surprising good, even without considering the small size. It sounds like the Meopta view is even better so that is great news. I definitely will look for one to check out the next time I am at Cabela's.

That is interesting to hear that Cabela's has a price of $799 for the display case model of the 8X32 HD MeoPro. Assuming we are talking about the same model, the web site is listing it at $649.99.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Meopt...h-All+Products

I bought a jacket from them last year in the store and then went home and looked it up on the net to find it listed at a lower price. I went back with a screen print of the listing and they refunded the difference. I suspect if one went into the store with a screen print of the MeoPro listing, they would sell it at the lower price. If not, then there is the option of purchasing off the website with free shipping to the store. It pays to do your homework!

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th January 2015, 06:25   #23
peatmoss

I've had the 8x32 Meopro HD for a few days, and I thought I'd give a brief report for others who might be considering it. I've owned the non-HD Meopro 6.5x32 for a few years, and I had it in mind when I first picked up the 8x32 HD. My first impression holding the 8x32 was that it felt smaller than the 6.5x32. I was surprised when later I compared the two, and it turned out that they had nearly identical dimensions. The difference comes from the HD having slimmer armor. I actually like this change. For my small hands, it improves the ergonomics. I also noticed that the HD's armor has a much coarser texture than the non-HD, which gives the HD a nice tackiness to the touch. One questionable difference between the HD and the non-HD is the focuser. The focuser on the non-HD was excellent, in my opinion. Right out of the box, it was silky smooth, had no play or stiction whatsoever, and was easily manipulated with one finger. The HD's focuser is still smooth, but it's noticeably stiffer, and with a little stiction. In time, the focuser tension may loosen, but for now, I find that I need to use at least one or two fingers from each hand in order to work it with any precision.

Optically, the 8x32 is very good. I brought out a few other 8x32 roofs to compare with it, including the Conquest HD, the Nikon Premier (HGL), and the Leupold Mojave BX-3. On-axis (using a tree trunk at about 30 yards as a subject), the Conquest and the Meopro both showed themselves to be very sharp, effortlessly showing fine detail in the wood. I couldn't really distinguish whether the Meopro or the Conquest was showing me more detail, although the Meopro's color rendition seemed to provide greater contrast on this particular subject. The Mojave and Premier trailed slightly behind, although neither of them is a slouch in this area. I did notice that the Meopro seems to have the smallest sweetspot of this group (about 50% or so, versus 60% or so for the other three), but the fall-off just outside the sweetspot is gradual, and users with more accommodation than I would likely judge the sweetspot to be larger. It's also worth noting that, although all four of these binoculars are rated at or around 8* in field of view, the Meopro seems to have a slightly wider field than the other three. As far as the edges, the Conquest and the Premier came out on top, with the Meopro just slightly below their level. The Mojave showed the softest edges. The results were similar with brightness: the Meopro seems to slightly trail the Premier and the Conquest, with the Mojave again pulling up the rear. Although all seem rather neutral in color, the Meopro is neither as cool as the Conquest nor as warm as the Premier. It does seem to have a slight warm yellow tone compared to the old non-HD Meopro, but it's not as pronounced a yellow tone as you would see through a Meostar. All in all, it's a high quality view that can stand up to the Conquest, but with a slightly smaller sweetspot and slightly softer edges.

The one aspect of the Meopro's optical performance that gives me pause is its handling of stray light. I'd caution that I've only had this binocular for a few days, and probably won't have a chance to use it extensively outdoors until the spring. However, I did do a little indoor testing with a bare lightbulb and outdoor testing just after sunset. With the bare bulb (which is admittedly an extreme test), the Meopro shows noticeably more glare than the other three binoculars. Outdoors after sunset, it likewise shows some veiling glare, although not as strong as in the indoor test. There seems to be an area just behind the objectives (possibly part of the objective cell) that is too reflective, and also an area towards the front of the focusing lens cell that is also too reflective. I'm not sure what impact this will have out in the real world (like I said, I probably won't have a chance to use these much outdoors for a while), but it's worth mentioning, in case other users notice a similar issue. One thing I did notice is that if I take off my glasses, I can often adjust my eye position in such a way that it lessens the effects of the glare. However, with my glasses on, the limits of the eye relief prevent me from finding a glare-free eye position.

Just a few quick notes of the accessories. The rainguard and lens caps are of very good quality, and comparable to the original Meopro. The Meopro HD strap is thinner than the old Meopro's: 1 inch for the HD versus 2 inch for the non-HD. It's still made with air-cells and just as high quality as the original, just not as wide (maybe they saved a little money here). Also, the HD comes with the same black cordura pouch case as the original Meopro. Anybody who's used the original Meopro knows how tightly this case fits those binoculars, and, unfortunately, the new HD fits just as tightly as the original. I guess Meopta never read the complaints that the case was too small for the binoculars.

To sum it all up, this is a very high quality pair of binoculars that's well worth considering if you're shopping in its price range.
Old Thursday 29th January 2015, 12:40   #24
edwincjones

to add to Peatmoss's review-briefly

I have the Cabela Euro 10x32 HD
It is a very good binocular,
close, but not quite as good
as my zeiss 8x32 FL

edj
-L Armstrong and others
Old Thursday 12th March 2015, 02:52   #25
John Dracon
John Dracon

Peatmoss - Enjoyed your post #23 on the Meopro HD 8x32. I recently acquired the complete copy of Meoptas 2015 Sports Optics Collection with all the specifications. Your 8x32 weighs about four ounces more than the Zeiss Terra 8x32. The Terra's body is made of reinforced fiberglass. I suspect the Meopro has a metal body, but I have seen no Meopta literature stating that. Your mentioning of the glare intrigues me. Is it possible that some of that is feedback from your eyeglasses? When I remove my glasses and use the extended eyecups, all the glare seen in difficult lighting conditions seems to disappear. My eyeglass lens are not coated and must reflect some light back into the oculars. Just a thought and perhaps not valid. John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: