Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 1st December 2014, 21:18   #1
Farnboro John

Camera for night drives

I'm thinking about a video camera of some kind to mount facing forward in the car for those irritating critters that leg it across the road at night too fast for you to draw a bead with your still camera (especially if you are duty driver!)

All the in-car drive recorders are wide angle, which means small images of animals.

Anyone used GoPros (or anything else) for this purpose, and how did it go?

John
Old Monday 1st December 2014, 21:26   #2
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

never thought of trying this, but I'd be tempted to try the dslr on a tripod in the passenger's footwell. there must be sufficient light from the headlights. the angled windscreen and safety round corners would need to be considered tho.
Old Tuesday 2nd December 2014, 16:28   #3
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
never thought of trying this, but I'd be tempted to try the dslr on a tripod in the passenger's footwell. there must be sufficient light from the headlights. the angled windscreen and safety round corners would need to be considered tho.
Mmm... Trouble is that blocks the front seat for anyone else, and the SLR is heavy where these little GoPro type things are light and have a windscreen attachment (like a satnav). I might try it though, if it works it would be OK solo at least.

Cheers,

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: