Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 2nd March 2015, 12:34   #1
Marcobf

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/241...-p900-megazoom
Old Monday 2nd March 2015, 18:30   #2
John Cantelo

Looks pretty amazing specs although it also looks something of a beast - then again a bit of heft may make it better at the long end. Not sure though even in the best of conditions that you can hold a "x83" camera. Ideally my money would be on a camera with a 1" sensor and, say, x40/50 magnification .... but this has got to be worth a look!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 14:41   #3
HermitIbis

This could get interesting. According to the Nikon site the P900 has a special scene mode for bird watching: "Hard-to-shoot subjects like the moon and birds become easy to capture with Scene auto selector enabling simple focusing and settings, so you’ll always get exceptional results."

But it doesn't have RAW, only jpeg.
Old Tuesday 3rd March 2015, 18:44   #4
mzettie

I bit, pre-ordered one yesterday from Adorama. It's supposed to ship Mar. 19.
My better half has the P600 and the image quality is great, better than my SX 50.....but autofocus and buffering is just too slow for shooting birds.
If the P900's IQ is equally good and it's performance is snappier, this will be an awesome camera for many bird nerds. Nikon has given it a 921k-dot EVF (drool!) and a "snap-back" zoom function that sounds similar to Canon's "zoom assist" function, something I'd have a hard time doing without.
Fingers crossed.......
Old Saturday 7th March 2015, 13:24   #5
rka
ttbirds

Come a long way since Oly E-100RS

Definitely looking out for reviews on this one. Certainly in Digiscoping range.
Old Saturday 7th March 2015, 21:00   #6
Torchepot

Mzettie you are really well placed with experience of P600 SX50 and SX60. Really looking forward to your impressions. Do you shoot video at all? I've been enjoying the sx60 for video and some of the results are very useful for getting details of distant birds. If this beast delivers there will be a lot of interest.

Good luck,

Phil

Last edited by Torchepot : Sunday 8th March 2015 at 11:12.
Old Sunday 8th March 2015, 15:07   #7
mzettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchepot View Post
Mzettie you are really well placed with experience of P600 SX50 and SX60. Really looking forward to your impressions. Do you shoot video at all? I've been enjoying the sx60 for video and some of the results are very useful for getting details of distant birds. If this beast delivers there will be a lot of interest.

Good luck,

Phil
Hi Phil, just yesterday I took the P600 out for a little while to try to get more comfortable with it. I've never been able to make myself use it much, cause the auto-focusing and buffering's so slow. I'm going to force myself to use it more though, to try to reduce the learning curve when the P900 gets here.

Getting frustrated with the P600's slow autofocus yesterday prompted me to try manual focus, something I never use on the SX50 because it's an exercise in futility. I actually found it doable, and although I wasn't real happy with the results, I think with some practice it could be a very useful function. I'm also hoping the better EVF and larger size(ergonomics) of the P900 will make MF even more user-friendly.

I haven't used video much, really should try it more. I know some SX50 users are crazy about being able to shoot stills while videoing, but I just don't think to employ it very often. Will definitely put that on the list of things to trial when the new camera arrives.
Old Monday 9th March 2015, 15:51   #8
Binastro

. Image stabilised spotting scope

. Would the Nikon P 900 make a good image stabilised spotting scope, or at least show more detail than seen through a binocular?
I wonder if it could equal the details seen in image stabilised binoculars?
Old Monday 9th March 2015, 21:30   #9
HermitIbis

It isn't so hard to beat a binocular regarding detail. A few days ago I was out with my sister-in-law and her Steiner 3.0 Skyhawk 8x32 binocular. My SX50 proved to be just as good for identification of birds as the bino, for some birds it even did a better job - e.g. a Goldcrest hovering in a tree 20 meters above the ground. I was able to identify the Goldcrest already when I took the shot, zooming into the photo afterwards to show it to her was just a welcome extra.

That said, a fine binocular like the Steiner gives an amazing view if you look through it, ten times as good as the SX50. Being able to look with both eyes simultaneously, the relaxed, broad view, the depth of field, the colours, is a lot more pleasant than using the camera's evf (the P900's EVF may be a little better, hopefully). At the end, it's a matter of priorities, and the day may come when I give up taking photos and will use only a first-class bino on my daily walks. It may be a high-magnification Canon IS with its image stabilization - if the next generation of these binos has cured some of the flaws of the recent ones.

Back to the P900, I am also eager to hear mzettie's opinion on the new camera.
Old Monday 9th March 2015, 22:07   #10
Torchepot

Hi Binastro,

I've been using the SX60 like that and certainly can see far more detail than is possible with 10x binoculars. In difficult circumstances - with distant perched raptors - I often pushed the zoom all the way to 260x resulting in very noisy video - but got some very interesting shots of eagles taking off. This had the advantage of leaving me free to use scope and bins but to leave the camera running, locked off on the subject sometimes for 20 minutes or more and not miss the crucial moment. It's fairly easy to then edit the video down to the important few seconds in camera. The other huge advantage is that being able to play the footage back frame by frame it's possible to see details that would be otherwise invisible. The magnification is huge so any heat haze or wind causes havoc and some form of mount is essential. I was told that the max magnification using the digital zoom equates to somewhere around 109x. With the P900 the magnification at max optical I think should be around 40x and at full digital maybe 160x.

Handheld is a different story though, the IS on the Canon is fickle and binoculars are so much easier to use. I intend to try a resolution test of camera, bins and scope, with the camera handheld and tripod mounted. In a couple of weeks I should be able to test it against some 10x Canon IS bins.

If the IS on the P900 really works it could replace a scope in many situations - with some serious advantages. The SX60 doesn't quite get there for me - but to get the most out of it carrying two tripods (one for the scope) or constantly changing over is not an option for most people.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by Torchepot : Monday 9th March 2015 at 22:11.
Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 03:09   #11
mzettie

I've id'd birds with the SX50 that I couldn't see well with bins or even a scope, but usually it's after the fact (reviewing the photo) not in "real time." An EVF would have to be pretty awesome for me to give up my bins.

I adapted a harness to carry both bins and camera, to minimize the time it takes to switch from one to the other. Even so, the bird's often gone by the time I get the camera up and on the target. I've wished for good bins that could snap pics a million times but never considered the reverse scenario. Auto-focus would have to be especially good, otherwise one might not get a good look OR a photo.

The type of birding one does has a lot to do with tolerances....I wouldn't even consider carrying a monopod for my camera. But when the P900 gets here I'll use one of my husband's tripods with it, to try to make a comparison for those who do.
Old Friday 13th March 2015, 16:27   #12
Mister Barmy

Personally, I would never give up binoculars for a camera with an EVF, not least of which because in my opinion seeing a bird on an EVF isn't really seeing the bird--it's watching the bird on television (this is my "photon hits retina" standard of seeing a bird).
Old Friday 13th March 2015, 19:12   #13
HermitIbis

Some birders combine a binoculars (e.g. 8x32) for finding the birds with a spotting scope for a closer look. Replacing the spotting scope with an SX50 or the P900 may save a little weight. You can prefer binoculars for the "real view", and still take a bridge camera with you. No conflict here imo. Equipment still below 1 kilogram - though this may become more difficult with the P900.
Old Saturday 14th March 2015, 04:42   #14
mzettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Some birders combine a binoculars (e.g. 8x32) for finding the birds with a spotting scope for a closer look. Replacing the spotting scope with an SX50 or the P900 may save a little weight. You can prefer binoculars for the "real view", and still take a bridge camera with you. No conflict here imo. Equipment still below 1 kilogram - though this may become more difficult with the P900.
I agree, probably a better substitute for a scope than bins.....not only less bulky, but image stabilized, affordable.....and you get (hopefully!) an image to study/submit later.
Old Sunday 15th March 2015, 19:54   #15
HermitIbis

Some bird photos... I hope for more.
https://instagr.in/t/coolpixp900
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 11:37   #16
kennethwfd

deleted

the man who never made a mistake never made anything

Last edited by kennethwfd : Monday 16th March 2015 at 12:06. Reason: old manual
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 11:53   #17
Orionthehunter

That is instructions for the old Coolpix 900 different Camera.. (I had one years ago was great at the time and the CP4500 is still a great Camera to Scope camera) :)
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 13:16   #18
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionthehunter View Post
That is instructions for the old Coolpix 900 different Camera.. (I had one years ago was great at the time and the CP4500 is still a great Camera to Scope camera) :)
No, that's the new camera. Mr Jaworski writes:
"Taken on the new Coolpix P900, hand held at 83x Optical Zoom. Amazing sharpness."
http://cre-arts.net/tag/coolpixp900
He is a Sales Manager of Nikon Australia LinkedIn (but maybe not so experienced in taking attractive bird photos).

Last edited by HermitIbis : Monday 16th March 2015 at 13:21.
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 15:54   #19
kennethwfd

Nikon's website gives specs

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/pr...e/coolpix-p900

apparently JPEG only and battery will last for some 360 shots only 83x zoom gives 2000 (35mm eq)

the man who never made a mistake never made anything
Old Tuesday 17th March 2015, 23:20   #20
Orionthehunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQa6GUVnbNM

Best video I could find of someone using the Camera (apart from Nikon promo vid)
Old Wednesday 18th March 2015, 20:30   #21
Aandeg

Got one on order, and will give it a good go once it arrives.

BF Supporter 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2015, 19:09   #22
HermitIbis

The German magazine "CHIP" has a test: http://www.chip.de/artikel/Nikon-Coo..._77410411.html . Also 40 photos can be studied in full detail.
Their test results for other cameras can be compared: http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Best...996/price/620/ (and played around with)

Mixed results: much praise, but at full zoom the AF can struggle and IS doesn't work perfectly (surprise!). Up to half of the zoom the IS seems to be "surprisingly" effective however. That sounds a lot like the SX50, no?

Obviously the test has a completely different target group than birders, and weighs the "value for money" ratio far too high, so that a brandnew camera is at a massive disadvantage. If we look only at mega-zooms, there is one result in the test which I find particularly impressive: the P900 at max tele position has a shutter lag of only 0.49 sec., significantly better than the Canon SX50 (0.79), SX60 (1.14), Sony DSC-H400 (1.51), Lumix FZ72 (0.79) and on the same (fast!) level as the Nikon P600 (0.45). Great for a 83x zoom.

The manual of the Nikon P900 is now available (18.8 MB, pdf): http://nikonimglib.com/manual/coolpi.../index_en.html

Last edited by HermitIbis : Friday 20th March 2015 at 07:33. Reason: Link to manual added
Old Saturday 21st March 2015, 20:27   #23
SEOW

Looks like a very intriguing camera for birding- but, maddeningly (and, like some other superzooms,), it appears that the p900 makes you go into the menu to switch to manual focus, giving the bird (the bird that the autofocus is ignoring in favor of focusing on the twigs in front of it) a nice chunk of extra time to disappear, never to be seen again. How about a simple switch on the outside of the camera that instantly flips you from AF to manual focus, & back again, as on the Fuji HS50EXR? Sigh.

Last edited by SEOW : Saturday 21st March 2015 at 22:51.
Old Sunday 22nd March 2015, 00:57   #24
Aandeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOW View Post
Looks like a very intriguing camera for birding- but, maddeningly (and, like some other superzooms,), it appears that the p900 makes you go into the menu to switch to manual focus, giving the bird (the bird that the autofocus is ignoring in favor of focusing on the twigs in front of it) a nice chunk of extra time to disappear, never to be seen again. How about a simple switch on the outside of the camera that instantly flips you from AF to manual focus, & back again, as on the Fuji HS50EXR? Sigh.
There is a function button wonder if that would work.

BF Supporter 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd March 2015, 10:05   #25
HermitIbis

There is a growing number of good-looking sample pictures in the web. The price will eventually drop, and I might bite. What worries me is image quality. According to the test, at iso 400 the P900 has a resolution of 1068, while the SX60 has 1094 and the SX50 1156. Same at iso min, iso 800 and iso 1600. The P900's lens is great, it can't be the problem. It seems that the P900's in-camera logic handles jpeg files too aggressively, softening the result.

Last edited by HermitIbis : Sunday 22nd March 2015 at 13:00.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: