• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San jose spring bayarea california (1 Viewer)

airs91

..Isaac..
Hello, please help with this id, bird was mostly grey all around. :bounce:

Attachments

• DSCN8600.JPG
    DSCN8600.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN8599.JPG
    DSCN8599.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 148
EDIT: Perhaps it is just a really young bluebird. My other thoughts were grey vireo and Lucy's warbler based on apparent white eyering.

It doesn't look like a rock wren. I'll stand back and see what others think.

Last edited:
Falcon, my first impression after only seeing photo 2 was also Rock Wren. However, I feel the possibility of a bluebird (young mountain?) deserves a good hard look.

Niels

I'm quite inclined to go for rock wren actually. But the wings still bug me, shouldn't rock wren have more uniform wings not darkened on primaries or patagium?

EDIT: I don't have the experience of pale mountain bluebirds to offer here, but I think the bird's pose and proportions seem wrong for a bluebird now I look at it.

Last edited:
The photo doesn't show it very clearly but I think I can see hints of barring on the undertail coverts, a Rock Wren fieldmark.

Young female-type Mountain Bluebird for me.
Lack of blue in wings & tail down to capture deets. IMO. Overall grey & Wheatear "jizz" is what swayed me.
It's a bird found in that region. The indistinct captures reveal the "jizz" if not the colouration.
Can't see any Wren qualities here... IMHO.

The bill in the flight shot (what little can be seen) is probably better for bluebird. My first comment was going to be a young mountain bluebird, but I couldn't find any examples of young bluebirds without some trace of blue in the wings. Definitely reminded me of a wheatear as well but the angle of the bird is not helpful...

Well I'm on team rock wren for now I guess. The face area still bothers me for rock wren as do the wings which are better for bluebird. Perhaps I'm being an idiot and overlooking the obvious bluebird-ness of this bird.

EDIT: No more pictures at all? None?

Last edited:
I have to go for Rock Wren. If it were a bluebird - especially a Mountain Bluebird - the wings should go half way down the tail in the second photo; they are much too short for a bluebird but good for a Rock Wren. And I agree it looks like there is some barring on the undertail coverts. Isaac, can you be more precise about the location and date? Mountain Bluebird is extremely rare in the San Jose area and a winter-only bird anywhere within hundreds of miles.

Last edited:
I definitely get a feeling of a Sialis sp. but the combination of barring on the undertail, the 'short' wings and the large looking feet all point to Rock Wren.

For MB with very little blue:
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=509471
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=500516

If those feathers had been around a little longer and faded in strong sun, I think we could see something like these photos. I am not positive though, there is something about these that bugs me.

Niels

Yeah I still don't think either of those two could work. There is always some trace of blue going on, and if it is too young then you get the heavy streaking and darkness.

Something bugs me about both options.

I've seen bluebirds on rocks lots of times (and they weren't rock wrens ;) ).

I agree a lot with silverwolf's thoughts, no traces of blue ..and sorry these are the only 2 photos I was able to capture before it flew off. I took a good look before I snapped these and the bill was surely not a wren style bill, it was shorter and thicker like a bluebird.

Team Bluebird

I have to go for Rock Wren. If it were a bluebird - especially a Mountain Bluebird - the wings should go half way down the tail in the second photo; they are much too short for a bluebird but good for a Rock Wren. And I agree it looks like there is some barring on the undertail coverts. Isaac, can you be more precise about the location and date? Mountain Bluebird is extremely rare in the San Jose area and a winter-only bird anywhere within hundreds of miles.

Yes it was taken in Spring, April 2014. In Sunol, CA not san jose like previously stated.
sunol regional wilderness to be more exact.(EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK)

Yes it was taken in Spring, April 2014. In Sunol, CA not san jose like previously stated.
sunol regional wilderness to be more exact.(EAST BAY REGIONAL PARK)

Thanks for the clarification. To perhaps belabor the issue then: if this is a Mountain Bluebird it is in an unusual location (no ebird records for the site, few in the region), at an unusual time (almost no regional ebird records for April), with an unusual coloration (no blue tones at all), and an unusual shape (short wings). On the other hand, if it is a Rock Wren these are just a couple of overexposed photos, which a camera might easily produce on a bright day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back