• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (3 Viewers)

I'm quite interested about this sound (and envy your good hearing!). I wonder if anyone else has ideas about it. Does it seem to be some kind of bird call? Sometimes you can hear birds clacking their bills, but I assume that is not the case with flycatchers....

I spent 20 years on the floor of machine shops back before hearing protection was required or even normal. You can actually tell a lot about how the machining process is going by the sound even when that sound is an ear splitting shreek. My hearing recovered somewhat in the last 20 years after getting into teaching engineering technology, but I often have trouble with making out the tonal nuances of Chinese so I am sure that it doesn't require especially good hearing to make out what I was hearing. ;)

My wife is a retired professor of music and though my training in noticing detail gives me an advantage in noticing and ID of birds by sight, she is able to catch details in calls and songs that I just don't get.

Maybe just something about that one individual, as I have only heard it in that one specific location.

Hi Owen, the Shrike is a Brown Shrike. Bull-headed are usually only seen in this area during the fall and winter. As you have alluded to above, Brown Shrikes have a huge amount of variety.

I'm quite interested about this sound (and envy your good hearing!). I wonder if anyone else has ideas about it. Does it seem to be some kind of bird call? Sometimes you can hear birds clacking their bills, but I assume that is not the case with flycatchers....

I've often heard this sound with Brown Flycatchers when they fly out to catch prey, and I think also Spotted Flycatchers in Europe. I don't think it's a vocalisation.

I've always assumed it was the sound of the bill closing quickly on the prey - imagine you were trying to trap a fly between the palms of your hands. I've never thought about the possibility of it being the wingtips snapping together though.

I got a pic of this wagtail yesterday. Looks to be a young bird and puzzled me. Apparently no takers on the ID forum. I observed no dark blaze on neck or breast which would rule out the more common White Wagtail. Possibly Yellow or Citrine Wagtail just coming out of 1st winter plumage?

Attachments

• NT4A9702.jpg
    NT4A9702.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 76
  • NT4A9709.jpg
    NT4A9709.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 82
Definitely one of the White wagtails Owen, but deciding which one is not at all straightforward.

Do you have a record of which races you most commonly see around there?

Cheers
Mike

May 26, 2016

I did get a hit on the ID forum and I didn't realize that the juvenile doesn't display the black chest badge. White Wagtail indeed. leucopsis is the only one that I have ever recorded here, so most likely.

This was on a hike over to the Qingshui River and although there are definitely lower counts and less variety than last year, I still had a decent observation. A park area with little traffic, Little Grebe, Moorhen, Black Headed Gull, Mallard and Red-Flanked Bluetail were all a sure thing at this same location last year at the end of the summer and all totally absent now. Common Kingfisher could usually be found and nothing yet this summer.

The highlights were a flock of Common Cuckoo that were displaying, calling loudly and chasing each other around. Creating enough commotion to get me to hike back through a stretch of muddy wetland to get as close as I could. I didn't really need to as the calls were so loud and clear, but wanted a better count and I was enjoying all the activity.

Also the mystery of where all the Hoopoe had disappeared to was solved. Pretty sure this was an undercount as there were Hoopoe calling and flying back and forth in all directions.

Four Whiskered Tern were working the wetlands catching minnows as well as a couple of Black-Crowned Night Heron. More difficult to ID were at least four Black-Browed Reed Warbler. I could get within a meter or so, but they were staying well hidden in the reeds. The camera did a better job of recording the calls than I thought it would and that coupled with a few fleeting glances enabled the final ID.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
May 26, 2016 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 kilometer(s)
14 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 2
Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) 4
Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis) 1
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 8
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 6
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 2
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 5
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 30
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 3
Black-browed Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus bistrigiceps) 4
Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa latirostris) 1
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29930111

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Attachments

• Common Cuckoo.jpg
    Common Cuckoo.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Common Cuckoo (1).jpg
    Common Cuckoo (1).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Wiskered Tern (2).jpg
    Wiskered Tern (2).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Wiskered Tern (1).jpg
    Wiskered Tern (1).jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Whiskered Tern.jpg
    Whiskered Tern.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 64
May 30, 2016

Things are slowing down quickly now as the migration winds down.

Only thing of note today was I managed to get clear recording of an Oriental Reed Warbler and good ID pics. It didn't look quite right for anything, so I ran it by the ID Forum. Apple outputs MOV files and the convertors I have don't output anything birdforum will take, so you can see/listen to the video at: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B085Uzl7Vdwbwj

May 31, 2016 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
8 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 4
Eurasian Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) 1
Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) 3
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 4
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 10
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 20
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 20

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S30005109

Attachments

• Oriental Reed Warbler.jpg
    Oriental Reed Warbler.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Oriental Reed Warbler (1).jpg
    Oriental Reed Warbler (1).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 70
  • Oriental Reed Warbler (2).jpg
    Oriental Reed Warbler (2).jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 69
June 2, 2016

Spent most of the day at the dentist, so didn't really get out. Did have this little fledgling posing for a photo. Managed to get him posed on a brick for size reference, but not really sure what I was looking at. Thought at first when I was hearing it begging that it might be one of the White Wagtail, but then realized it was too small. Never did see any parents and it actually could fly quite well, but kept sitting in the neighbor's drive with the loud "cheep, cheep, cheep!"

Attachments

• NT4A0034.jpg
    NT4A0034.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 72
  • NT4A0022.jpg
    NT4A0022.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 74
Which Reed Warbler?

I went back to where I had managed an audio file of a Reed Warbler that the ID forum seemed to be positive was a Black-Browed Reed Warbler. I had much better luck with getting some ID photos this time. At the exact same place and sounded the same to me. The photos don't look like BB to me however. I would say Oriental Reed Warbler. Thin black eyebrow and no or extremely faint white above that. What say you?

Attachments

• NT4A0697.jpg
    NT4A0697.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 82
  • NT4A0698.jpg
    NT4A0698.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 69
  • NT4A0714.jpg
    NT4A0714.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 76
  • NT4A0746.jpg
    NT4A0746.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 72
  • NT4A0851.jpg
    NT4A0851.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 67
Maybe my problem. 1st and 2nd pic were within seconds of each other and I was trying to track a bird at 400mm. I thought it was the same bird, but I may have picked up a second bird without realizing it. Perhaps the cause of the sudden flurry of activity was a new arrival trying to make a territorial claim.

1st & 2nd within seconds of each other (13:04). 3rd same location 13:05. 4th same location 13:10. 5th location about 150 meters away at 13:32. 6th same bird same time. 7th another 100 meters away at 13:37

Are you referring to this thread? http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=325381

My understanding of Grahame's response on that is that your recording is Oriental Reed, and I agree with that ID. There is a link to a recording of BbRW for comparison, but I don't think Grahame is suggesting that was the identification. In comparison, note how your recording has shorter and harsher phrases than the linked BbRW.

Apologies if I've missed another thread that you are referring to.

The photos look like they are all ORW.

I have no idea why I so totally misread that reply. I look at it now and it is entirely obvious that I was reversing the meaning. :h?: Given that point, it clears up this ID, with the majority of the birds in question being Oriental Reed Warbler, which is what it looked like to me. At the time I didn't even realize that there was another species in a shot. Now I have to go make some changes in my records. :-C

I am really weak on distinguishing calls. My high school music teacher once actually told me, "Krout, your the only person I ever met who was totally devoid of any musical talent whatsoever!" My wife, who was a professor of music told me shortly after we were married that she could teach anyone to play piano. I was delighted as I had always admired those with a musical skill. She gave up within a month. 8-P

June 3, 2016

Back to the wetlands adjacent to the Qingshui River and much more productive this time. Picked up a few birds on the walk over to there including a Eurasian Kestrel working it's usual area. I was glad to see it as it had not been sighted for over a month.

Jun 3, 2016 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM
2.0 kilometer(s)
7 species

Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 2
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 1
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 4
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S30050354

The actual area by the river was much more active than it had been so far this season. I was able to observe a Whiskered Tern male bringing a fish to the female as foreplay. WT and Black-Crowned Night Heron were fishing heavily. Three Yellow Bittern broke cover and enabled me to pick up another new tic. Hard to tell how many more were around as they are invisible in the reeds until they fly. I noticed something that I am surprised I had missed in the past in that I caught the bright white sub-terminal spots on the tails of some Barn Swallow. Of course the Oriental Reed Warblers that my misreading of Grahame's response on the ID forum caused me to be so confused. Lastly a nice shot of a Common Moorhen with a crab it had just captured.

Jun 3, 2016 1:00 PM - 1:45 PM
1.0 kilometer(s)
11 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 2
Yellow Bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis) 3
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 6
Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) 26
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 6
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 3
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 1
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S30065624

Attachments

• Black-Crowned Night Heron (1).jpg
    Black-Crowned Night Heron (1).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Black-Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    Black-Crowned Night Heron.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Yellow Bittern (2).jpg
    Yellow Bittern (2).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Barn Swallow.jpg
    Barn Swallow.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Common Moorhen.jpg
    Common Moorhen.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 65
June 13, 2016

Into the time where I don't even expect to pick up anything new. I haven't reported every trip here, but it is basically the same thing as I have here each time. Taking advantage of it to work more on learning my camera better. Today was first entire outing of using Manual Mode. It was a good test day as the lighting was not the best with a high haze giving a mostly bright white background with an occasional, "Oh, look at that!", of a bird in dense cover. Worked out pretty well. I'm improving. I now recognize almost all the regulars without needing to analyze the photos with a handbook later at home and feeling much more comfortable with the camera gear. A big learning curve over the last year!

Not the best shot of the day as I only got a momentary chance and almost directly overhead on the wires but this shot of a Chinese Bulbul was perhaps the most interesting. The berries make it look like it is holding a couple of eyeballs in it's beak. Also managed a technically much better shot of another individual, but not as interesting.

Some Whiskered Tern provided a slant (pun intended) on the usual "birds on a wire" photo.

Some Common Cuckoo provided some nice action shots.

I broke the reports to eBird into shorter segments which were also logical breaks into different types of habitat as I recently noticed that they were asking to do so with outings of longer duration or distance.

Jun 13, 2016 9:00 AM - 9:30 AM
1.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 3
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 5
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba) 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30205829

Jun 13, 2016 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM
1.0 kilometer(s)
7 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 1
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 4
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 5
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30205836

Jun 13, 2016 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM
1.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Yellow Bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 5
Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) 25
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 12
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 6
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 10
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 14

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30205847

Attachments

• Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    Chinese Bulbul.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Light-Vented (Chinese) Bulbul.jpg
    Light-Vented (Chinese) Bulbul.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Whiskered Tern.jpg
    Whiskered Tern.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Common Cuckoo.jpg
    Common Cuckoo.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Common Cuckoo (1).jpg
    Common Cuckoo (1).jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 74
Looks like I will be making a trip to Hong Kong about August 1st to renew my visa which expires Aug 19th. Two to four day wait according to the agency so I will be booking Monday thru Thursday hotel and figured I would take the wait time to do some birding. I'll be midtown, Just Inn Hong Kong, basically the Tsim Sha Tsui East subway station as that is very near the agency. Looking for thoughts on where to go and how best to get there.

HI Owen

Hong Kong is hot, very humid and sometimes rainy in August. That's the bad news . . .

The good news is that there are certainly places to go birding some of which will give you a shot at birds that don't make it as far north as Panjin.

Could I suggest you start by looking at the sites on the HKBWS website and consider getting David Diskin's books on nature walks in Hong Kogn which give very good accessinfo for a range of good places.

http://www.accipiterpress.com/hong-kong-nature-walks.html

I would recommend Long Valley for open country birds, Kadoorie Farm for woodland birds (there's a bus that can take you up the hill, leaving you only to walk down!) and of course Mai Po for wetland birds, but NB a permit (from WWF - see the WWF HK website) is required for the visit.

The sites I bird are very quiet at this time of year, so I wouldn't recommend them just for birding, but Tai O is an interesting village and can be combined with a visit to general tourist sites such as the Big Buddha , which is nearby on Lantau Island.

Cheers
Mike

I'd definitely advise Mai Po. Shorebird migration will be underway by early August, and there should be good numbers of some species (especially Common Redshank, Common Greenshank, Greater Sand Plover). As Mike says, you will need to arrange a permit, which is best done as early as possible. There are often good numbers of ardeids at that time of year as well (but common species!).

Other wetland sites could also have shorebirds or other wetland species. Long Valley is usually the most worthwhile.

Forest birds will be moving around and the resident species are often visible in late July/early August. KFBG could be worthwhile, as Mike suggested, but I'd suggest that there is likely to be more birds and more variety at Tai Po Kau.

June 25, 2016

The weather was beautiful with clear, deep blue skies and not too hot yesterday so I decided to take advantage as it was supposed to warm up quite a bit starting today. I had planned about walk of about 5 km which would cover two areas that I bird. Panjin is all on the flat so that is about my normal limit before the arthritis kicks in too badly.

The first section yielded nothing of particular note until just at the end, while tracking down some Oriental Reed Warbler that I heard calling. In the process of determining a count at the edge of a former wetland area that was ditched and mostly drained this spring that I spotted an area that had been converted to rice paddy with obvious avian activity about 500 meters out. I could make out some Heron but I was unable to be sure of ID on some and could make out many other unidentifiable waders. Unfortunately the wide and deep drainage ditch blocked my access from the east side. The only way in would be via a raised pathway coming in from the west side. That would mean walking all the way around and coming in from that side. Walking 2 km to reach the rice paddy that was 500 meters away. I decided to go ahead and cover the second planned area which was another wetland and then make the detour.

Jun 25, 2016 3:00 PM - 3:15 PM
0.5 kilometer(s)
6 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30379812

The second planned area went about as usual but I did find a Little Grebe and a couple of Common Moorhen. The Little Grebe in particular were common last year, but have proven rather scarce this year. I have also noted that last year the area commonly had small numbers of Black-Headed Gull and an occasional Saunders Gull while this year has been only Whiskered Tern and Black-Crowned Night Heron. Just as I was leaving the area and wondering why the Oriental Reed Warbler were being so quiet, a Eurasian Kestrel made a dive into some near-by reeds and came up with a Common Magpie fledgling in its' talons. Managed a quick shot which is nothing to brag of, but which shows the fledgling.

Jun 25, 2016 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
1.0 kilometer(s)
11 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 5
Eurasian Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) 2
Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) 6
Common Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 7
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 1
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 40
Oriental Reed-Warbler (Acrocephalus orientalis) 6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30379644

I then cut through the middle of the village to the west for about a kilometer and then back north half a km to where I found the raised pathway. Workers at a near-by oil rig were watching me closely, but there were no signs and no fence, so I just boldly walked out to the east along the pathway for about 500 meters to the rice paddies. Someone has made a feeble attempt at planting corn on much of the drained wetland but it is a rather pitiful affair. The rice paddies where at least managing well from what I could see.

Just as I arrived at the rice paddies a pair of Grey-Headed Lapwing rose up out of the reeds regrowing along the edges of the rice and started loudly trying to scare me off. I got one shot at 640mm completely filling the frame as it came head on at me. At the time I was thinking, "Man, that looks close in the telephoto!". As I lowered the camera the Lapwing buzzed just over me, barely missing my head!

The Heron proved to be Black-Crowned Night Heron with several females staying close to the tall reeds along the edges of the pond and one fledgling visible just on the edge of the reeds. They all simply, calmly stepped back into the reeds and disappeared! It was surprising how well they managed the trick as they literally seemed to vanish. I have only seen them nesting in trees before, but there were not trees within 500 meters and no nests in those and the fledgling looked to be about three-quarters the size of the females and still covered in downy feathers, so probably could not fly yet, so they must have been nesting in the reeds.

I did catch a quick look at a very distant Cattle Egret as it flew through my field of view in the binoculars. I got some rather poor very long range photos, but good enough to identify the distinct plumage.

Also evident were Black-Winged Stilt and a single Spotted Redshank which even eBird confirmed as a rare bird sighting. All together making it worth the extra 3 km of walking.

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 10
Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) 8
Gray-headed Lapwing (Vanellus cinereus) 10
Spotted Redshank (Tringa erythropus) 1 Single individual in a rice paddy mixed with Black-Winged Stilt
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 3
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30379789

I did some rather lackadaisical birding as I headed home, but soon gave it up do to an approaching thunderhead and aching joints. About 7.5 km of hiking which is beyond my normal limits, but the next few days are supposed to be too warm and humid to be out, so I can recover.

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 2
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30379812

Attachments

• Grey-Headed Lapwing (1).jpg
    Grey-Headed Lapwing (1).jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Grey-Headed Lapwing (4).jpg
    Grey-Headed Lapwing (4).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Grey-Headed Lapwing (2).jpg
    Grey-Headed Lapwing (2).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Black-Winged Stilt (1).jpg
    Black-Winged Stilt (1).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Spotted Redshank.jpg
    Spotted Redshank.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back