Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2015, 13:59   #126
Owen Krout

I almost forgot about this one. Bonus points for coming up with an ID for this poor bedraggled soul who is having a bad hair (feather) day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Hair Day.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	566468  

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~ Lao Tzu

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd December 2015, 14:56   #127
thirudevaram
Trapped in mist ***s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Krout View Post
I almost forgot about this one. Bonus points for coming up with an ID for this poor bedraggled soul who is having a bad hair (feather) day.
I'm gonna pass on this one.
Dev(www.Gamebirds.me)
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2015, 14:58   #128
thirudevaram
Trapped in mist ***s

Post #125, The buntings are Rustic. Assuming, they are new birds (probably lifer?) for you?
Dev(www.Gamebirds.me)
Old Thursday 3rd December 2015, 06:02   #129
Owen Krout

Hello Dev,

Yes, Rustic would be a lifer for me. Having come from America, almost everything here is totally new to me. My mother was an avid bird watcher and sparked a life-long interest in me, by insisting that I be able to identify anything at her feeders. Never actually kept a list though. That being said, most of it is not particularly relevant here.

Trying to ID a new bird can be tricky. I considered Rustic, as I did think that I caught a glimpse or two of individuals showing more black on the head and wasn't really sold on Little, but the illustrations in Brazil's seemed to show much more marking on the belly than I had with these. I am getting better though, as I did immediately see them as buntings. A small thing to the more experienced birder, but part of the small steps we all take towards really knowing what we are doing.

As always, thanks for any help.

Old Thursday 3rd December 2015, 06:33   #130
Owen Krout

Just did a quick check of my photo files and found that I was at least half right. In the keywords I had indeed entered it as Little Bunting, but also as Emberiza Rustica. More than anything indicating my own indecision I suppose.

Old Friday 4th December 2015, 05:09   #131
Owen Krout

Little to report for two hours of effort.

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Dec 4, 2015 10:15 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 kilometer(s)
6 species

Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 10
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 12
Hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26119176

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Old Friday 4th December 2015, 15:35   #132
jonathmartinez

I would said that the "bad hair" one is an Eurasian Tree Sparrow...how much bonus points would I get with that?
Old Saturday 5th December 2015, 05:05   #133
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Have to agree with Jonathan -once identified its obvious.

Cheers
Mike
Lifer: Red-tailed Tropicbird, Masked Booby
Old Saturday 5th December 2015, 08:03   #134
Owen Krout

I'll leave it up to the group to decide on how many bonus points, Johnathan. But you may be correct at that. Understand both are heavily cropped, but I went back to the original frame and found this one also.

At the time, I was unable, even with the binoculars, to figure out what was hiding back in the brush so I snapped a picture hoping to figure it out later. Now I also think it looks like an Eurasian Tree Sparrow, but have to wonder if it is not just pareidolia. What do I think? I think I'll have another beer, maybe that will help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bad Hair Day II.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	566621  

Old Sunday 6th December 2015, 16:11   #135
Owen Krout

Dec-06-2015

Temperatures have finally returned to normal here in Panjin. Today it was hovering around zero with only a very light breeze, so I decided to check out some areas that I have not visited for awhile and it payed off.

Not even bothering to eat breakfast this morning, I didn't intend to walk quite so far or to take so much time, but every time I was thinking, "Good enough, I'd better head home." It would immediately be followed with "Ooh! That's nifty!" Finally, 3 hours and 45 minutes later, with the camera battery giving out (830 pictures - - - I got a bit carried away with the concept of "film" being free it seems) and with aching joints and realizing I was hungry, I gave it up and headed home.

Started with nice Hen Harrier right next to our apartment.

After a couple of kilometers of walking I walked into the woods along the irrigation canal and spent about an hour withing 20 meters of where I started with something new every time I turned around. A large mixed flock of Long-tailed Tit, Eastern Great Tit, and Coal Tit was enough to keep me delighted, but it also produced Treecreeper, and Winter Wren.

It just kept getting better as I found what I thought was a Sparrowhawk. A E. Kestrel was nearby and definitely much bigger. In fact this was quite small even for a Sparrowhawk as you can see by the comparison to the insulators. By the size and the relatively short tail with wider barring than the Kestrel's tail, (I think I could make out four bands, but not certain about that) and color I thought it to be a Japanese Sparrowhawk. Not on the eBird list for this time of year though, so see what you all come up with.

Also not on their list for this time of year was what sure looked like a couple of Elegant Bunting. Again, see what you think.

After the E. Kestrel made a couple of unsuccessful stoops, missing what was probably a mouse in a corn stalk shock and a small bird on the ground, a group of Rustic Buntings were mobbing the Kestrel and a few lost interest and dropped to the ground to forage. Bad idea. The Kestrel had bunting for lunch.

Rounded off with more Woodpeckers than I had seen before in one outing, a large flock of Azure-winged Magpie and a few other misc..

Dec 6, 2015 10:15 AM - 2:00 PM
4.0 kilometer(s)
17 species (+1 other taxa)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus) 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 4
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 6
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 40
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 4
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) 14
Japanese Tit (Parus minor) 12
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) 25
Eurasian Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 2
Eurasian Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) 3
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 2
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) 1
Dusky/Naumann's Thrush (Turdus naumanni/eunomus) 4
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 8
Rustic Bunting (Emberiza rustica) 4
Hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes) 5
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) X

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26147108

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Japanese Sparrowhawk.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	566733  Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Wren.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	566734  Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Wren (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	566735  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hen Harrier.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	566736  Click image for larger version

Name:	Elegant Bunting.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	566738  

Old Sunday 6th December 2015, 22:08   #136
Dong Bei
Tom

Hi Owen, Your photo titled Japanese Sparrowhawk is a female Eurasian Kestrel. It would very extremely rare to see Jap. Sparrowhawk this time of year. Eurasian Sparrowhawk could be around still. That is probably your default bird if it's not a kestrel this time of year. They appear long tailed in flight and often stay around low near ground level this time of year I find. The other one that you can look out for is Merlin which is a winter visitor to much of Liaoning.

Elegant Bunting is Yellow-throated Bunting in ebird and yes you have a picture of one there. Nice Wren pictures and the Harrier is neat as well. No worry about free digital film, snap away! I agree with your observations about the weather, much nicer.

Tom
Old Sunday 6th December 2015, 23:18   #137
Gretchen

Hi Owen,

What an excellent day! Great to see so many nice birds, and some interesting behavior! Nice to see so many birds of prey, and I'm always pleased to see elegant buntings (and prefer that name though the ebird people don't )

Re your ID questions on the other thread: the extremely dark coloring of the wrens here threw me off initially too. The Chinese/European crests are very much like American kinglets - and, as with kinglets, their size and quick movements make them easily mistaken for warblers.
Old Monday 7th December 2015, 01:26   #138
Owen Krout

Hi Tom, Not doubting your expertise over mine, as it has proven itself since I started here, but thinking out loud; I understood that the Jap. SH would be a rarity and that the standard default would be E. Kestrel and struggled with that both in the field and while evaluating at home. In fact my first thought was "Ah, a Sparrowhawk of some sort!" and then, "Or a really small Kestrel." However it looked through binoculars to have much broader banding on the tail and I thought I could count four bands, which later at home matched well with only the Jap. SH. Also I noted in the field the impression of a very short tail. Which the photo confirms with the wing projection almost reaching the tail tip. It was definitely considerably smaller than a female E. Kestrel that was visible at the same time which also displayed a longer tail. Rereading the Merlin, I could see it as a match for a smallish female Merlin. Unfortunately this is the best picture I got as it didn't stay put long and I didn't get any closer.

As it stands I'll just have to let it go for now and hope to get a better look later on.

Added some more shots from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eurasian Kestrel (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	566784  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eurasian Kestrel (3).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	566785  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eurasian Kestrel (4).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	566786  Click image for larger version

Name:	Coal Tit.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	566787  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eastern Great Tit.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	566788  

Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 14:40   #139
Owen Krout

Dec-10-2015

Made a two part outing this afternoon once the morning fog and rain started to clear. First of all tried the parks next to us, but after about 1 km came away with only (5) Common Magpie; (4) Naumenn's Thrush; and (3) Hawfinch.

I decided to make the 1.5 km hike through the dead zone of concrete to the irrigation canal where I did so well the other day, but the wife gave it up and went back home. Did much better there considering only about an hour before the daylight started failing enough that I headed home also. A front from due north had passed through clearing out the last of the clouds in the meantime and the temperature was dropping fast.

The secret seems to be to find the mixed flock of Tits and that is where you will find everything else as well. Coal Tits were abundant with at least 20 all around me. Got a close up of one as he was squeezing himself into a tree cavity. So busy that I was able to walk right up to him. He came out with a beetle which he took to a nearby limb and held it between his feet like a seed while he pecked small bites off it.

(3) or more, Eurasian Nuthatch were working in the midst of the mixed flock along with (4) Eurasian Treecreeper and (6) Long-Tailed Tit. Spent a good deal of time stalking a very elusive small flock that turned out to be (6) Olive-Backed Pipit.

Finished up with (19) Azure-Winged Magpie that were cavorting about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coal Tit.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	567124  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eurasian Nuthatch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	567125  Click image for larger version

Name:	Olive Backed Pipit.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	567126  Click image for larger version

Name:	Olive-Backed Pipit.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	567127  Click image for larger version

Name:	Azure-winged Magpie.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	567128  

Old Thursday 10th December 2015, 22:04   #140
Dong Bei
Tom

Owen, sounds like a nice walk. Olive-backed Pipits should not be expected during December so good job on those. Great photos once again sir! I know what you mean about finding a tit flock in winter, there are often others that can be in these groups. Very windy and cold outside right now here, must be even colder by you.

I'm heading out today for some afternoon birding near Wafangdian with my class. It's up your way on the west side of the peninsula about an hour north of Dalian but still quite a bit further south from you. It's a large rice farming area where many cranes and storks spend the winter.
Old Friday 11th December 2015, 06:02   #141
Owen Krout

Sounds great, Tom. I sometimes wonder if you have an even better job than the US Forest Ranger that I met in Colorado this summer. Her job, for the last several years, has been to spend her day monitoring the activities of the Peregrine Falcons in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, keep a journal and report her findings. I believe she said it started as a research grant when working on her doctorate and led to being hired as a Ranger to continue her work.

Old Sunday 13th December 2015, 08:27   #142
Owen Krout

Dec-12 & 13-2015

I returned to the irrigation canal yesterday, the 12th, and found little for much effort this time. Not sure why the sudden change, but as my wife reminded me when I was grumbling about it, "Birds fly." The temperatures look decent for the next week, but I know we will soon descend into about a month of it being too cold for extended birding and few birds to see anyway. All given that the weather follows the usual course.

The wind proved to be more cutting than I anticipated today and I wimped out and went back home shortly after starting to check out the city parks near us. Only stayed long enough to get (50+) Eurasian Tree Sparrow; (6) Common Magpie & (1) Hoopoe.

Dec 12, 2015 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM
6.0 kilometer(s)
11 species

Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 30
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) 17
Japanese Tit (Parus minor) 5
Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) 6
Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) 1
Eurasian Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 4
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 15
Olive-backed Pipit (Anthus hodgsoni) 4
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 30

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26247906

Old Thursday 17th December 2015, 06:06   #143
Owen Krout

Braved the cold for awhile today and only a few hardy individuals hanging on:

Dec 17, 2015 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
4.0 kilometer(s)
10 species

Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 16
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 1
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) 10
Eurasian Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 1
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 2
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 4
Yellow-throated Bunting (Emberiza elegans) 6
Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) 16
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 26

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26336253

Old Friday 18th December 2015, 05:19   #144
Owen Krout

Just out of my own curiosity.... Yesterday, while out birding, I spotted a large all black squirrel with prominent ear tufts. A little larger than the American Red (Fox) squirrel, I would say. Unfortunately, no photo. It was a quick siting, but up close as it made it beat a retreat back into it's nest. I have not had any success in trying to find out the identity, so hopefully one of you can offer an answer. Of no importance other than that it annoys me not to know. I believe somebody else is keeping an eye on it as the tree that it's nest is in has two large red ribbons tied around the trunk. Plumbing emergency kept me occupied today, but the next week or so is forecast for warmer and dry, so will keep trying for an ID photo.

Old Friday 18th December 2015, 09:38   #145
Dong Bei
Tom

Hi Owen, these are Eurasian Red Squirrels. They are much more red in Europe and darker/borderline black in northeast Asia. They should have a white chest as well. Very cool looking eh?

Tom
Old Friday 18th December 2015, 13:55   #146
Owen Krout

Thanks, Tom. It was keeping itself flattened out against the trunk, so I didn't get a look at the chest. This one was definitely a dark black. I have seen all black squirrels in a few towns scattered around the States, but I don't remember them having the big ear tufts like this one. Indeed a cool looking fellow! (or gal).

Old Sunday 20th December 2015, 06:15   #147
Owen Krout

Still slow

Dec 20, 2015 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
4 species

Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 21
Coal Tit (Periparus ater) 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 20

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26371971

Old Monday 21st December 2015, 05:29   #148
Owen Krout

Planned outing for today to try for a pic of the black squirrel cancelled as we woke up to Beijing levels of smog. 363 pm2.5 and still rising as of noon. My eyes are burning even without getting out into it.

And now as I write this the wife reports the sewer line is backed up again.

Old Monday 21st December 2015, 13:00   #149
Jeff hopkins

That's more like Shanghai, Owen, but still you have our sympathies.
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2015, 06:07   #150
Owen Krout

Yea, well part of the reason for moving here was that it was warmer and the air cleaner than Shenyang. Not so much this year. Over 400 today. At least it is still cheaper to live here. I had a company several years ago that offered me triple the pay I was getting in Shenyang, but it was in Beijing. (They just wanted me because they wanted a figure-head white face to sit at a desk and glad hand people and for advertising. It helped that I looked like Santa Claus) I declined rather than have to live in Beijing. When it improves to merely "unhealthy" and isn't twilight all day long I'll get back out again.

Last time I was in Shanghai was over 15 years ago and it didn't seem too bad then. Of course it was summer, so I didn't see the worst. Hopefully, China will get serious sometime soon and make the same kind of progress that happened in other places. I remember Pittsburgh PA being just as bad in the late '50's and early 60's.

Laurel and Hardy showed up to snake out the drain yesterday. I am sure I saw the routine on one of their old films. They managed to get the snake stuck for about 3 hours and completely unnecessarily totally destroy the floor drain while making a total disaster area of the bathroom. They were about to remove the toilet bowl when our son-in-law paid them to leave. They then announced that "somebody else" would have to fix the floor drain and left. Amazingly, sometime in the process they did get the pipes cleared and flowing properly.
Over three hours of scrubbing before it didn't make my skin creep just to look in that direction.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: