Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 14:08   #1
wachipilotes

Papillo 6.5X or 8.5X for birding.?

Hello,
I would ask if the binocular Pentax Papillo is good for birding (not just insects ..), and what model would be more successful, or that of 6.5x to 8.5x .. if any of you has been compared to these two.
regards
Wachi.
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 14:20   #2
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

The Pap has to be a dedicated bug bin, the objective is so small.

6.5x32 would be a logical choice.

If you are looking for an 8.5x for birding then that can be a very useful choice with a suitable objective, 8.5x45 works for me.

Best wishes,
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 14:34   #3
wachipilotes

Thank you very much for your response, I understand that a 32 or 42mm binocular lens are the maybe perfect" aperture for birding activities, but I have a 8x42 model Celestron binocular, I am intested in this pocket model , Papillo II 8,5X21 or the 6.5x21 model, i know that these models are small aperture for serious bierding, but for a generalist model bino pocket , this are OK? For example, a Holliday moment with all family in the camping, flowers, butterfly, insect and why not? Birds ?
Greetings
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 16:14   #4
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

The Viking MD 6.5x32 would be a good choice.

It is not quite pocket sized but not too heavy, it weighs about 675g. Nice wide view and sharp centre field. You may be able to find it for around Eur 145.00 + shipping, it would be a very good buy if you can.

Best wishes,
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 17:39   #5
edwincjones

I use the 6.5 papillios for observing bird feeders outside my window
and for long hikes where weight is an issue
I also keep a 8.5 papillio in my truck

edj
-L Armstrong and others

Last edited by edwincjones : Saturday 2nd May 2015 at 17:41.
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 19:23   #6
oetzi

I had the choice of 6.5 or 8.5 when asking Pentax for one and choose 6.5:
More FOV, less shaking and better DOF when doing close-ups.
But I do like 7x anyway and use it as an allround bino.
From butterflies to birds and back, mostly on my homeground with distances up to 25m.
So I would make this decision again without hesitation
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 19:59   #7
Timbirder3

I use a Papillio 6.5x most of the time during the summer. I find the wider FOV and brighter, very sharp image more than compensate for any lack in magnification, and that's coming from someone whose normal birding binocular is a Zeiss 10x40. The 6.5 model is excellent for insects, flowers etc and fine for birding in woods and countryside though it wouldn't be my first choice for coastal birding. My advice: buy a pair, you will use them a lot more than you think.
Hope this helps
Tim
Old Saturday 2nd May 2015, 20:08   #8
breydon

Yes the 6.5 is the best I have a pair for taking out to look at Wildlife in general great Butterfly dragonfly and bird bin nice bright view a wider field of view
Old Saturday 9th May 2015, 14:14   #9
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
I use the 6.5 papillios for observing bird feeders outside my window
and for long hikes where weight is an issue
I also keep a 8.5 papillio in my truck

edj

I prefer the 6.5,
subjectively just more pleasant
but there is little difference
between the two

edj
-L Armstrong and others
Old Sunday 14th June 2015, 15:12   #10
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

I had been using the original Papilio 8.5x as a supplemental instrument, but would not as a rule, use it for anything not for close focusing. This was not due to the magnification (which was great at close-focus, since as other in the past on BF have pointed out, on the Papilio the stated magnification is actually not accurate at close range, the 8.5x becoming 10x-10.4x ), rather it was due to its optical quality, or lack thereof.
The new version 2 (i have again the 8.5x) has markedly improved optically, including viewing at a distance. I myself, have no problem with say, small birds in a woods, with the version 8.5x, and also have the delicious closeups.
The other day, i was on a forest path and was able to quickly find the Green Heron i heard in the trees near the water. Then, a few feet later, i was able to watch in detail, a grisly tableau of some ill-fated inch worms that had exited a tree only to land on top of a large ant hill.
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson

Last edited by jaymoynihan : Sunday 14th June 2015 at 15:18.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: