• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon ID from UAE, 07.05.2015. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
who can help me with this Falcon?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_7599a.jpg
    DSC_7599a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_7600a.jpg
    DSC_7600a.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_7601a.jpg
    DSC_7601a.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_7603a1.jpg
    DSC_7603a1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_7606a1.jpg
    DSC_7606a1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 73
I must admit the shape doesn't look much different to the Amur falcon (a.ka. eastern red-footed falcon) I have seen this week (4 of them) as they pass through. However if that fairly uniform grey is true, I cant see any Amur of any age matching it. They dont just have (orange) red feet, the bottom 20% of the undercarriage is orange-red in a male and buff-orange in a female.

So I also think if its sooty falcon. Rob

I agree that structurally this bird looks good for Sooty, but the issue is that it appears to have red feet. One member of our forum here in the UAE thought it might be a Red-footed, an extreme rarity here. I agree it's definitely not an Amur.

Don't let the colours, typically difficult to judge, especially through optic, camera sensor, computer screen and your eyes, disturb too much. Yellow feets appearing red is a common artefact.

That's what we'd decided on our forum but then Peter said he'd seen red legs on the bird with binoculars. Mark Smiles on our forum pointed out though that the pale head and bright yellow cere also point to Sooty. Probably the best person to judge is Peter himself, who saw the bird in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back