• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what to do 2 into 1 (1 Viewer)

the black fox

the quandry i'm faced with at the moment is i have two camera bodies a 10mp 1d3 that gives me good i/q and fast focussing with low noise levels but falls down on large crops .
i also have a 70d 20mp 1.6 crop reasonable 7fpm burst ,good i/q in the right light ,good crop ability but i find it still suffers from noise to a fair degree in poor light .
both these cameras are used with the sigma 150-600 f6.3 sport as my main lens .
the question is do i keep both for flexibility or sell them both and get a 7dmkii ,is the noise problem going to be any better .i know the a/f obviously will be up there but its more than that .
the other option is to get a 5dmkiii and just crop from a better starter image .?????

You already know what the 1 series bodies are like from your 1D3, have you considered the 1D4? The AF is significantly better than the Mk3 as is the resolution and ISO performance + they are pretty reasonably priced these days.
The 5D3 will give the best ISO performance of the models you mention and the best potential IQ. Against that it will not be quite as quick in the AF and FPS departments as the 7D2. The 7D2 is probably the weakest of them in the ISO department, though as many have proved, very good images can be had at high-ish ISO with the appropriate post processing.
They are all excellent cameras with their relative strengths so it really comes down to your style of photography and priorities. If you are into other types of photography as well as wildlife then the 5D3 is probably the best all rounder but for specific purposes then one of the others may have the edge.
My, personal, choice would be the 5D3 but that is because I prefer full frame for all my photography and I need the extra high ISO performance. If you are not concerned about the sensor size and normally shoot in reasonably good light the the 7D2 looks very interesting with the 1D4 somewhere between them.
Hope some of the above helps and happy choosing!

the quandry i'm faced with at the moment is i have two camera bodies a 10mp 1d3 that gives me good i/q and fast focussing with low noise levels but falls down on large crops .
i also have a 70d 20mp 1.6 crop reasonable 7fpm burst ,good i/q in the right light ,good crop ability but i find it still suffers from noise to a fair degree in poor light .
both these cameras are used with the sigma 150-600 f6.3 sport as my main lens .
the question is do i keep both for flexibility or sell them both and get a 7dmkii ,is the noise problem going to be any better .i know the a/f obviously will be up there but its more than that .
the other option is to get a 5dmkiii and just crop from a better starter image .?????
Like most of this bird photography lark Jeff, there is no simple answer. I have the 5D3 as you know and its a super Camera but when I try to crop a bird shot to the same FOV as the 7D2 I just cannot get the same amount of fine detail that the 7D2 yields - even though the 5D3 images are cleaner to start with.
The ideal scenario for your options would be to have a 5D3 for when you are fairly close (plus stuff other than birds/wildlife) and the 7D2 for range limited shooting. The trouble is unless you take along both Cameras you will have the wrong set-up with you at times that's for sure. I absolutely love the 5D3 but if I was forced to choose between that and the 7D2 for birds then I would choose the 7D2 every time, simply for the 'reach' factor. Now if I had something like a 800/5.6 or 600/4 (with converters) I may well feel differently.
I bought the 5D3 primarily for landscapes/macros and the like but with the option of using it for birds if that did not pan out. What I did not realise was just how much 'reach' you lose with a full frame.
Anyway the best of luck for whatever you decide to run with Jeff :t:

interestingly enough while looking into things on here and reading the 7D2 thread ,i picked up a few tips with regards to exposing correctly ,stuff i should already know but you tend to put on a back burner and forget about ,i will give the 70d another try over the next few days then make up my mind from there .at the moment i feel i have the best of both worlds and don't wish to get drawn into a no-viable alternative scenario .
the 7d2 AND 5d3 option is out of the running its one or the other so like Indiana jones i have to choose wisely ,with a holiday to the bempton area coming up i need to sort it out .watch this space

heres a couple of recent shots from the 70d and siggy is it worth changing ,the pigeon was shot from inside through double glazing btw .

Attachments

• CLAWS !!!.jpg
    CLAWS !!!.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 50
  • woody .jpg
    woody .jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
My five pennies worth,is that now i've got used to the 1d3 i love it,it's fast and very responsive so much so that when i swapped back to my 50D th other day it felt slow.what i'm trying to get at is ,is if you want speed resolution and crop factor then the 1d4 would be the obvious choice.

Cheers.

Steve.

interestingly enough while looking into things on here and reading the 7D2 thread ,i picked up a few tips with regards to exposing correctly ,stuff i should already know but you tend to put on a back burner and forget about ,i will give the 70d another try over the next few days then make up my mind from there .
Good shout Jeff :t:, its always good to get the very best out of your current equipment before moving on to other stuff. Getting the exposure correct is the most underrated yet most important thing for bird snapping IMO, Shooting to the right for instance will always give the least noise and best dynamic range out of any Camera, especially the 70D. To be honest I would take the 70D over the 1D3 any day for birds if I was reach limited but if you find the noise is still a problem then you may have to think about moving on.

Last edited:
heres a couple of recent shots from the 70d and siggy is it worth changing ,the pigeon was shot from inside through double glazing btw .
Crickey, you must have been close to that Morehen Jeff, 279mm !!!! why not sell the Siggy and get a 70-200, you always add a tc ;) seriously though, changing to something like the 7D2 from the 70D is not going to be the world of difference for close-up shots of tame(ish) birds, its the AF speed and options that is so much better, especially for fast flyers and the like.
BTW your copyright info is out if date on the 70D it is still showing 2014!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back