• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tehran - wheatear (1 Viewer)

akbenbow

This bird was seen in the hills north of Tehran - I am thinking Finsch's Wheatear but would like confirmation?

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 96
Eastern Black-eared or Finsch's are the two contenders.The tail looks all black and lacks a white tip.It also looks as though the black of the head doesn't join to that of the wing.Both are features supporting Eastern Black-eared and the oposite would point to Finsch's

an all black tail is shown by most wheatears when the tail is closed. there's another contender: hybrid pied x eastern black-eared. but i see some whitish tipped tertials and primaries - which strongly points towards finsch's, although i must confess on first view, it's general appearance led more towards eastern black eared or hybrid with pied...i don't think we can get a 100% ID from this pic alone. any more pictures?

I'd thought of that one too,Lou..but ruled it out.and I can't remember on what grounds,so I probably shouldn't have.Anyway ,as you say a better pic would help.

Annoyingly there is no better pic - it flew shortly afterwards and when I returned the day after wasn't around. I also saw Eastern Black-Eared on the visit and I am confident this was different (the black joined up) so I will stick with my Finsch's suspicion. Really appreciate the steers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back