• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 SLC ED focus wheel (1 Viewer)

justabirdwatcher

Just got a great deal on a pair of 2013 SLC ED's in 10x42. I'm thrilled with the binoculars, but have a question for the Swaro faithful...

The focus wheel feels just a hint sticky. The seller said they were hardly used, and they look it. You cannot tell these from a brand new pair.

Will it smooth out with use?

Guess I got spoiled by the focus wheel on my Brunton Epochs and didn't even realize it.

Reports have been mixed on the focus smoothing out over time.

My brother has a 12X50 SV EL that had terrible stiction issues right at the point of perfect focus at infinity. That was a bad deal because one does a lot of viewing at infinity with a 12X. It never did smooth out after a year of use. It was sent back to Swaro of NA and although not perfect, it is now acceptable.

A couple friends have the previous generation EL in an 8X42 and a 10X42. I remember the focus mechanisms being rough when new. I tried them a couple of weeks ago and they were much smoother and quite fine.

Try working the focus mechanism back and forth over the next couple of weeks or so while watching TV, listening the the mother-in-law (!), or other type activities. If there is no improvement, then it is time to send it to SONA with a detailed description of the problem. Most have reported good results after getting them back. It is a pain, but definitely worth the effort so you can easily achieve that sharp focus you paid for.

Just got a great deal on a pair of 2013 SLC ED's in 10x42. I'm thrilled with the binoculars, but have a question for the Swaro faithful...

The focus wheel feels just a hint sticky. The seller said they were hardly used, and they look it. You cannot tell these from a brand new pair.

Will it smooth out with use?

Guess I got spoiled by the focus wheel on my Brunton Epochs and didn't even realize it.

Don't laugh, but after I submerged my (ex)SLC in water, the focus wasn't squeeky/sticky anymore, and totally satisfying.|=)|
It sounded and felt like a dry O-ring with mine. Too bad, because applying a little bit of silicone grease on the focuser O-ring during assembly can't be too much trouble if you ask me.

Last edited:
brocknroller has endured some hits for his outspokeness of the shortcomings of Swaro's focus system. In light of the fact that i've owned 4 Swaros including the SLC WB, SLCneu, SLC HD, and SLC 8x30, I will have to agree with him, as only one (8x30) has had a smooth focus. The other 3 are somewhat "slightly sticky". Problem solved when I put a few drops of Tri-flow lube on them and work them back and forth many times.

That being said, i love Swaro binocs, and feel they offer the best combination of reliability, glass, ergos, and fool proof warranty and customer service to put them head and shoulders above the other alphas.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm so busy enjoying the view from these SLC's that I hardly notice it. And I wouldn't notice it at all if I weren't coming off the incredible Brunton Epoch focus "experience."

I'm glad to hear it may smooth out with use. And that won't be a problem with me. My binocs are not safe queens. Nor do they sit on the window sill. I use mine every day, and they are within reach in my vehicle at all times.

Problem solved when I put a few drops of Tri-flow lube on them and work them back and forth many times.

That being said, i love Swaro binocs, and feel they offer the best combination of reliability, glass, ergos, and fool proof warranty and customer service to put them head and shoulders above the other alphas.

If needed in the future, curious where\how to add this lube to stop "o-ring squeaks\grabs". Is this a long term fix for the SLC's?

Ted

I may not be able to explain myself well enough, but I'll give it a stab. First of all I set the binos up vertically on the bench, objectives pointing upwards. I also set the IP distance to the most narrow it can possibly be. It will obviously expose much of the hinge, and a very small portion of the bottom of the focus wheel. I will add a few drops of a lubricating "creeping" type oil, in my case Tri Flow lubricant, to the gaps where the hinge and focus wheel meet. I will let it "creep" down into the mechanism, leaving it sit for a couple of hours or more, and then do it again, repeating as often as need be. It seems to last a very long time.

Hope that helps. It's worked pretty well for me. Works wonders on riflescopes too......

I may not be able to explain myself well enough, but I'll give it a stab. First of all I set the binos up vertically on the bench, objectives pointing upwards. I also set the IP distance to the most narrow it can possibly be. It will obviously expose much of the hinge, and a very small portion of the bottom of the focus wheel. I will add a few drops of a lubricating "creeping" type oil, in my case Tri Flow lubricant, to the gaps where the hinge and focus wheel meet. I will let it "creep" down into the mechanism, leaving it sit for a couple of hours or more, and then do it again, repeating as often as need be. It seems to last a very long time.

Hope that helps. It's worked pretty well for me. Works wonders on riflescopes too......

JG,

Thanks...Your explanation is Well Understood! Hopefully, I'd never have to perform this maintenance, but it could happen...

Ted

jgraider,

AFAIK, you are the first person who was able to fix a sticky Swaro focuser! Most Swaro owners give it time to work in, and if that doesn't work, they send the bin for repairs.

If the lube works for justabushwacker this may be the "cure" others, including me, have been searching for. I didn't think lubrication would work because my understanding of the issue was that the uneven smoothness turning one way to the other or "coarseness" is caused by a one-way spring mechanism inside the focuser, which lube couldn't reach.

You would think if it were just a simple matter of lubrication, Swaro, being well aware of the problem from all the bins sent in for focuser repairs, would simply do what you did at the factory before the bins were shipped. Problem solved!

It would also explain why many but not all who send their Swaros in for focuser repairs get them back fixed or at least working better than before. If the problem were entirely the one-way spring, none should work well or better than before unless... they figured out a solution to the spring issue. But, of course, if they did, why haven't they implemented that solution in newer models?? When they revamped the focuser on the newer SLCs that would have been a perfect time to apply it.

Still a mystery, I'm afraid, but let's see what happens. If it doesn't work, he can change his username to justanotherstickyswarofocuserowner. ;)

Thanks for sharing that tip!

Brock

Last edited:
Brock, the "easier one way than it is the other" focusing thing is still there, but he lube definitely smooths things out a bit. I have redone it several times on the SLCneu. I'm not thinking it's a permanent fix, but it does make it better in the meantime. This will be Swaro blasphemy......but in each Swaro I own, the focuser pails in comparison to my Gold Ring HD's......smooth like buttah.!

...but in each Swaro I own, the focuser pails in comparison to my Gold Ring HD's......smooth like buttah.!

AMEN! Got some 8x42 GR HD's in early May...If Only SWARO could just Match the Silky Smooth and Excellent Precision of the GR focuser, while Keeping their Superb SLC Optics (superior to the GR), I'd truly be in Optical Heaven!! o:D

Actually, even the EL, HT and Ultravid focusers (tested side-by-side along with the SLC just last week) paled in comparison to the Leupy GR's! Heck, I just might keep the GR's for future "smooth" reference, least I forget what Alpha's "Should Be Like"!!! |;|

Last edited:
Brock, the "easier one way than it is the other" focusing thing is still there, but he lube definitely smooths things out a bit. I have redone it several times on the SLCneu. I'm not thinking it's a permanent fix, but it does make it better in the meantime. This will be Swaro blasphemy......but in each Swaro I own, the focuser pails in comparison to my Gold Ring HD's......smooth like buttah.!

Curses! Foiled again. Not a cure but a BAND-AID®.

The focuser on the 10x42 SLC-HD I tried was a bit harder to turn in one direction, but not by much. I think I could have lived with it (particularly for $1,100) if it didn't get worse, but I gather that they do get tighter over time and eventually have to go in for servicing. Still, it was the best 10x42 bin I've tried, even better than the 10x42 SE because of its larger AFOV (only 3/10 of a degree, but it seemed like more) and better heft. Missed the 3-D effect of the SE, but the heavier weight made it easier to hold 10x steady than the 24 oz. SE.

It also did an excellent job of controlling CA, even better than the 10x42 SE and 10x42 EDG, and both those were very good in that regard.

Oh well, no use griping about it, Swaro doesn't care about making smooth focusers for birders, the company's primary customers are hunters, who don't need fine focus or close focus.

<B>

Dorknroller -

This is the same issue I'm having.

justabaywatcher,

If it's not bad, try to live with it for a while since you will likely be using the 10x42 SLC-HD at medium to long distances where you don't need fine or fast focusing. Swaro might send it back smooth or they might not. Piergiovanni from binomania sent two SV ELs in for focuser issues and they still turn harder one way than the other.

It also might get a bit better with continued use. When Steve (mooreorless) first received the 10x42 SLC-HD, the focuser was stiffer to turn than when I tried it two weeks later, so it might break in some more, but probably remain a bit harder to turn in one direction. It's the nature of the beast. Try jgraider's lube trick, that might help, too.

I had more of an issue with Steve's 8x30 SLCneu since I used it for close-in birding, and unlike Bob's wife who has a very strong ring finger from years of wearing that big "rock" that Bob bought her for their engagement, I got tired quickly of having to pull harder in one direction with my ring finger chasing bluebirds at the park. For medium to long distance, it wasn't really an issue.

With the money you saved from not buying a new one, you can buy yourself flood insurance. Unless you live west of the Pecos, you might need it.

brokenrollingdownhill

Meh. I live an hour from Houston, and we're just fine. If you believe the network media (and you never should) you would think the entire state was under 10 feet of water. :rolleyes:

I will just use them and see if they break in. The focuser is definitely stiffer in the clockwise direction than the counterclockwise direction.

I'm reluctant to introduce any oil into the focuser, as it will attract dirt, and I don't want that.

Meh. I live an hour from Houston, and we're just fine. If you believe the network media (and you never should) you would think the entire state was under 10 feet of water. :rolleyes:

I will just use them and see if they break in. The focuser is definitely stiffer in the clockwise direction than the counterclockwise direction.

I'm reluctant to introduce any oil into the focuser, as it will attract dirt, and I don't want that.

Congratulations, you have made a very good purchase. As far as
the focuser, you need to spend some time using them and just enjoy
the view while breaking them in.

The Swarovski design is to use a spring to keep slack out of the focuser
and it is normal, and there may be a bit more tension one way or the
other. It does not bother in everyday using. This has been pointed
out many times on the forum, so do not let it bother you.
This issue is much like the TV news showing the worst of the flooding.

Jerry

The Swarovski design is to use a spring to keep slack out of the focuser
and it is normal, and there may be a bit more tension one way or the
other. It does not bother in everyday using. This has been pointed
out many times on the forum, so do not let it bother you.
This issue is much like the TV news showing the worst of the flooding.

:D This made my morning. Great analogy. Thanks.

Yes, they do portray it as the Great Deluge on TV. The videos and photos they show look convincing, and after all, everything is BIGGER in Texas.
:Lindsey Graham rolleyes:

I imagine that those in the flooded areas who didn't have flood insurance but who want to buy some now will have to pay through the proboscis.

True about the oil attracting dust. Some member had problems with dust getting in and clogging the focuser on his EL, but he went on a safari. Another guy complained that his friend's EL got knocked out of collimation, then he mentioned that the bin had fallen while they were rock climbing! The park sign now reads: Watch out for falling binoculars!

You can expect an alpha to be robust, but there are limits to the abuse any bin can take -- except the Zeiss Conquest HD, which as we know from the video, is literally bulletproof.

If I were going to drag a bin through the mud and the blood and the beer, the Conquest would be my choice. If I were going to use a 10x bin for birding, it would be the 10x42 SLC-HD.

<B>

For pure toughness, my money is on the Meopta HD. They did tests like Zeiss did on the Conquest way before Zeiss ever thought of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back