• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best time of day to watch birds ? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I think I am going wrong with the time of day I make visits to my local patch.I usually go from 12.30 PM to about 3.30 PM.

I see from the "Sightings Book" that people seem to see more birds than I do either earlier in the morning or later in the evening.

Is this true and I am going the wrong times? Mind you they are more likely to be better birders than me !!! Anyone got any observations ?

MAX.

senatore said:
I think I am going wrong with the time of day I make visits to my local patch.I usually go from 12.30 PM to about 3.30 PM.

I see from the "Sightings Book" that people seem to see more birds than I do either earlier in the morning or later in the evening.

Is this true and I am going the wrong times? Mind you they are more likely to be better birders than me !!! Anyone got any observations ?

MAX.

It depends on many factors.But as a general rule going early is best.

I've found that food rich areas are always good to watch at any time of day.
Also if u live in an area were water is scarse a water source is always a good place to go.Again early in the evening or in the evening are the best times.

Regards Dimitris

Last edited:
I totally agree with Dimitris. There are only a few patches I know around me, where you can see a good variety of birds all day. And even there early morning and late afternoon or evening are better.
I vistit my local patch either early morning (sunrise) or in the evening (the two hours before sunset).

André

I agree that early mornings are best as at my local patch you normally get a few birds that only roost there like curlew and gossander etc.

Also at this time of the year the sand martins will normally gather on your local patch and then scarper unless they breed there.

Another example is that Garganey a very shy birds so by the afternoon they will probaly have been spooked off and moved on.

timmyjones said:
I agree that early mornings are best as at my local patch you normally get a few birds that only roost there like curlew and gossander etc.

Also at this time of the year the sand martins will normally gather on your local patch and then scarper unless they breed there.

Another example is that Garganey a very shy birds so by the afternoon they will probaly have been spooked off and moved on.
This might apply to you local patch or some of the more popular nature reserves but if you are looking for birds of prey then it is better if the conditions are right between the hours of 09-00 to 14-00 this is when the thermals are at there best

It is not always a case of seeing the birds but early morning is when you are likely to hear more. We are carrying out territory mapping surveys around The Lodge and we go out immediately after dawn because this is the best time for bird song. The birds take a little time to sing and affirm the territorie before they begin the task of foraging. The air is also at its densest at this tiome so the song carries further, which helps us as well as the birds.

Ian

First three hours of light are best for most birds.
Raptors become active in mid-morning, when the ground warms up. Waterbirds like ducks and waders are usually seen all day. If you have roost of gulls or other birds, naturally it is best before darkness.

And yes, I usually have time for birding only in the afternoon.

I have long considered that the hours you are using are classed as siesta hours when quite a few birds seem to be going quiet, ready for their next feeding time, usually late afternoon onwards.

It is not a rule of thumb but this period in the day is just as noticeable when abroad.

Here in Brazilian rainforests and adjacent areas the most action by far happens in the first hours of the day, to get it all you gotta be there when it's still dark. If it's cloudy you may see some action throughout the day otherwise things can go pretty dead silent. Birds will become active again later in the day, but not nearly as active as early morning.

A good alternative for midday hours (if it's not VERY hot) is to search for typical forest species, such as antbirds, inside shaded and cooler areas of rainforest... specially primary dry land forests.

I tend to find that it varies with the type of habitat.

Very early in the morning it without doubt the best time around here for farmland hedgerows and woodland birds. They are usually feeding after dawn and then sat singing away before the sun gets up and the walkers come out with their dogs.

Late afternoon and through the evening is particularly good for the waterfowl waders for when they come into roost. For the past few months I have been visiting the coastal ponds late evening until dusk and it's surprising just how many birds do come in to roost. Not the best of time for taking photos, but certainly the best for the range of species and numbers of birds.

Just as Dawn is breaking for song, then birds start to feed and show best. Then dusk as they start to roost, pure magic.

In the tropics (or anywhere hot) another thing that contributes to the fact that most birds are more active early morning is that the air is still cool and thin, sound propagates (sp?) better and birds sing more.

Late reply, because I couldn't find the reference, but.. In "Bird Census Techniques", by Bibby, Burgess, Hill, and Mustoe, Figure 2.11 shows a graph of singing males seen per 20 minutes, with an indication of how accurate it is (enough to establish a general trend, but not enough that you should take the following as gospel). It peaks at 20 around dawn, and is above 16 till just after 10. From about 11:00 to 15:00 it is below 14. It breaks 16 again just after 16:00, until a sharp drop at 18:00, so there is hope for human "Owls" as well as "Larks". The graph is itself derived from a reference: Robbins, C.S. (1981) "Effect of time of day on bird activity" - Studies in Avian Biology, 6, 275-286.

I have a theory about trip planning I haven't dared suggest before. Sometimes the local group head off to the coast and watch waders as soon as we get there - that's after all what we are there for. After we have seen what there is to see, we often have lunch, head inland and look for woodland birds. I wonder if we wouldn't do better to hold back our enthusiasm and do the woods first, on the theory that the waders don't have anywhere to hide, and will be as easily seen in the afternoon as the morning.

mcdowella said:
Late reply, because I couldn't find the reference, but.. In "Bird Census Techniques", by Bibby, Burgess, Hill, and Mustoe, Figure 2.11 shows a graph of singing males seen per 20 minutes, with an indication of how accurate it is (enough to establish a general trend, but not enough that you should take the following as gospel). It peaks at 20 around dawn, and is above 16 till just after 10. From about 11:00 to 15:00 it is below 14. It breaks 16 again just after 16:00, until a sharp drop at 18:00, so there is hope for human "Owls" as well as "Larks". The graph is itself derived from a reference: Robbins, C.S. (1981) "Effect of time of day on bird activity" - Studies in Avian Biology, 6, 275-286.

I have a theory about trip planning I haven't dared suggest before. Sometimes the local group head off to the coast and watch waders as soon as we get there - that's after all what we are there for. After we have seen what there is to see, we often have lunch, head inland and look for woodland birds. I wonder if we wouldn't do better to hold back our enthusiasm and do the woods first, on the theory that the waders don't have anywhere to hide, and will be as easily seen in the afternoon as the morning.

Good idea but surely the waders are controlled by the tide I assume you get to the coast because some one has checked the tide table therefore If you do the woods first you may miss out on the waders

Dear Senatore.

Dawn and dusk! The middle of the day is absolutely the worst time to go birding, especially in woods, scrub, etc. Shore birds are determined by tide times rather than 'real' time. BUT, if these times are the only times you can get out, go for it!

FBF

I found out yesterday it's not just tides you have to worry about. I decided yesterday to go to the lake at Corsham in the afternoon instead of the morning, just to see, and found it had five dinghies sailing on it and far fewer ducks than usual.

Max,

If you can...vary the times you visit your local places.
1st light is good, as is dusk.
Midday is quite quiet...
but who knows?...mebbe some migrants might drop in then!!
Someone I know is spending more and more time traversing
his local patch...and it's paying dividends.
The longer you can spend out in the field the better...
I'm off out now for some Owl action...hopefully :)

Dave.

mcdowella said:
I found out yesterday it's not just tides you have to worry about. I decided yesterday to go to the lake at Corsham in the afternoon instead of the morning, just to see, and found it had five dinghies sailing on it and far fewer ducks than usual.
That’s the problem with sites that have a shared interest. If you go to the coast then you will properly be visiting a nature reserve that has the interest of wildlife first so this will not be a problem

Depends if I fancy a mornings birding I go and see lots of birds I know afternoons are usually bad with the disturbance of people but if you find a quiet spot you'll be fine. Take yesterday for example I was at my local park and there were lots of people but did manage to see at least 8 species.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back