Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 5th July 2016, 01:36   #76
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portsmouth, Dominica
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
A detailed test of this 100-400mm lens at lenstip.com and people discussing technical aspects of the review.
The thing that bothered me about that review was the biases that came out in the introduction. (I must admit that it was good that he did include his biases there).

Bias 1: a lens like this must be stopped down. Bias two: therefore, diffraction will ruin all images taken with this lens. Importantly: both conclusions made before even unpacking the lens, much less putting it on a camera.

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 5th July 2016, 06:46   #77
HermitIbis
Registered User
 
HermitIbis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Black Forest
Posts: 381
Nothing wrong with having some laboratory tests... but this piece at least includes some bird photos.
HermitIbis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 5th July 2016, 23:57   #78
rka
ttbirds
 
rka's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
Posts: 1,042
Agreed. Looked at many other reviews and all very positive. I'll be saving to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
The thing that bothered me about that review was the biases that came out in the introduction. (I must admit that it was good that he did include his biases there).

Bias 1: a lens like this must be stopped down. Bias two: therefore, diffraction will ruin all images taken with this lens. Importantly: both conclusions made before even unpacking the lens, much less putting it on a camera.

Niels
__________________
rka
rka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 09:36   #79
Ian Shepherd
Registered User
 
Ian Shepherd's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleethorpes
Posts: 77
I really like the PL100-400 on the G7. The combined lens and body weight is well below 2kg, so this can come with me every time I'm birding, regardless of whether I'm carrying my scope and tripod too. I'm a birder who travels by bike and so the weight and bulk of my dslr and 200-500 results in a choice between scope and camera and the scope usually wins. I'll likely use that gear in future only when I know I'm setting out to take flight shots of some small and/or fast beastie.
I've found the 100-400 to be excellent wide open and through the zoom range. Pixel peepers will probably find fault, but that's not my territory, and as a birder wanting better than a bridge camera can deliver this m43 camera & lens will siut my purposes well, I think. The PL100-400 is seriously better in all respects compared to the lumix 100-300.
Video/vidgrabs are also much better with G7/100-400 compared to my previous GH3/100-300. The 2.4 internal teleconverter works with full hd video, giving serious 'birding range' reach, and the fullhd grabs are decent quality.4k obviously better, but added teleconverter range is not available. Decent lens for plants and butterflies too.
Sunbathing dunnock from 10m, little egret and herring gull both big crops from 120m, juv robin vidgrab from 25m (full hd @800m equivalent,+2.4 teleconverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D065web.G7&100400.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	591769  Click image for larger version

Name:	ET010web.G7100400.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	591770  Click image for larger version

Name:	Rjuv066web.G7100400.fhdvdgr.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	591771  Click image for larger version

Name:	HG050.G7&100400.0616.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	591772  Click image for larger version

Name:	CommBlue010web.G7100400.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	591773  

Ian Shepherd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 10:20   #80
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
I really like the PL100-400 on the G7. The combined lens and body weight is well below 2kg, so this can come with me every time I'm birding, regardless of whether I'm carrying my scope and tripod too. I'm a birder who travels by bike and so the weight and bulk of my dslr and 200-500 results in a choice between scope and camera and the scope usually wins. I'll likely use that gear in future only when I know I'm setting out to take flight shots of some small and/or fast beastie.
I've found the 100-400 to be excellent wide open and through the zoom range. Pixel peepers will probably find fault, but that's not my territory, and as a birder wanting better than a bridge camera can deliver this m43 camera & lens will siut my purposes well, I think. The PL100-400 is seriously better in all respects compared to the lumix 100-300.
Video/vidgrabs are also much better with G7/100-400 compared to my previous GH3/100-300. The 2.4 internal teleconverter works with full hd video, giving serious 'birding range' reach, and the fullhd grabs are decent quality.4k obviously better, but added teleconverter range is not available. Decent lens for plants and butterflies too.
Sunbathing dunnock from 10m, little egret and herring gull both big crops from 120m, juv robin vidgrab from 25m (full hd @800m equivalent,+2.4 teleconverter.
Nice shots, how do you find birds in flight?
50% in focus? or more? less?
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 15:08   #81
Hobbes2
Registered User
 
Hobbes2's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
I really like the PL100-400 on the G7.
Wow, someone who actually owns one . Where on earth did you get it from? None of the online retailers appear to have any stock yet. Great to hear you're pleased with the results. Hopefully a few more will hits the shops soon.
Hobbes2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 16:58   #82
Ian Shepherd
Registered User
 
Ian Shepherd's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleethorpes
Posts: 77
Vespobuteo - I've not attempted many bif shots as yet. It's proved ok with a few trial shots of passing corvids and gulls, finding focus quickly and staying in focus for a series of shots. First time i get the chance to seriously test it out with e.g. feeding terns or a hunting hobby on the Humber shore, I'll have more real idea, and I'll let you know. Hirundines or flushed passerines will take a better man than me with current m43 cameras.
Hobbes2 - I received it last month from WEX, after being 'on the waiting list' there since early spring. The situation still seems a bit chaotic following the dreadful earthquake in Japan last April. I was told that even a likely available date could not be provided, then before the day was out, one was suddenly available. If you're on a waiting list somewhere, I wish you a speedy resolution - it's definately worth the wait.
Ian Shepherd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 17:13   #83
Hobbes2
Registered User
 
Hobbes2's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
<snip>
Hobbes2 - I received it last month from WEX, after being 'on the waiting list' there since early spring. The situation still seems a bit chaotic following the dreadful earthquake in Japan last April. I was told that even a likely available date could not be provided, then before the day was out, one was suddenly available. If you're on a waiting list somewhere, I wish you a speedy resolution - it's definately worth the wait.
Thanks Ian. It's good to see that stocks are gradually getting through now and it's really encouraging to hear that it out performs the Panasonic 100-300mm.
Hobbes2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 17:19   #84
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shepherd View Post
Vespobuteo - I've not attempted many bif shots as yet. It's proved ok with a few trial shots of passing corvids and gulls, finding focus quickly and staying in focus for a series of shots. First time i get the chance to seriously test it out with e.g. feeding terns or a hunting hobby on the Humber shore, I'll have more real idea, and I'll let you know. Hirundines or flushed passerines will take a better man than me with current m43 cameras.
Hobbes2 - I received it last month from WEX, after being 'on the waiting list' there since early spring. The situation still seems a bit chaotic following the dreadful earthquake in Japan last April. I was told that even a likely available date could not be provided, then before the day was out, one was suddenly available. If you're on a waiting list somewhere, I wish you a speedy resolution - it's definately worth the wait.

Your not helping me had mine on order for a long time,to make things worse i see your from Cleethorpes,hope i dont see you on the foreshore with it.
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 13th July 2016, 17:23   #85
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Ime getting a few BIF with the 45-175 and ime expecting this to be better when i get it,cant manage small birds with the 45-175 as they have to be too close before i can start focusing even so no time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010302.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	591806  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010489.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	591807  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010643.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	591808  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010825.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	591809  
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th July 2016, 04:39   #86
acedangler
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Rutland
Posts: 10
Thumbs up In stock at Park Cameras

Hi,

Still showing in stock at Park Cameras if you are after one.

Ordered mine late last Friday and it arrived Monday morning.

Looks a nice lens but not had much chance yet to put it through it's paces.
acedangler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 14th July 2016, 08:47   #87
Hobbes2
Registered User
 
Hobbes2's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedangler View Post
Hi,

Still showing in stock at Park Cameras if you are after one.

Ordered mine late last Friday and it arrived Monday morning.

Looks a nice lens but not had much chance yet to put it through it's paces.
Thanks for the info acedangler . Hope you get the chance to enjoy the lens soon
Hobbes2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 16th July 2016, 10:49   #88
Ian Shepherd
Registered User
 
Ian Shepherd's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleethorpes
Posts: 77
some more local gulls with th G7/PL100-400, all heavy crops from 100-150m distant, 400mm wide-open
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HG061wb.G7100-400.0716.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	592087  Click image for larger version

Name:	HG062wb.G7100-400.0716.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	592088  Click image for larger version

Name:	LB034wb.G7100-400.0716.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	592089  Click image for larger version

Name:	LB030wb.cp.G&100400.0716.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	592090  Click image for larger version

Name:	LB033wb.G7100-400.0716.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	592091  

Ian Shepherd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 16th July 2016, 10:53   #89
Ian Shepherd
Registered User
 
Ian Shepherd's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cleethorpes
Posts: 77
...and a couple of G7/100-400 full hd vidgrabs with 2.4 internal teleconverter engaged
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D068juv.G7100400vgrb.0716.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	592092  Click image for larger version

Name:	HS071.G7100400.vgrb.0716.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	592093  
Ian Shepherd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th July 2016, 18:38   #90
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Got mine today and it started raining so cant play with it.
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 28th July 2016, 19:25   #91
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portsmouth, Dominica
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Got mine today and it started raining so cant play with it.
I thought is was splash-proof

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th July 2016, 04:27   #92
DonB
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tura Beach, NSW
Posts: 223
New 100-400 (w/new GX85)

My 100-400 came yesterday. It's my first Leica lens and I couldn't help bursting out into song..."Leica virgin...set the f stop, for the very first time" ;o0

I also got a new GX85, and learning the combo is a bit challenging. I'll have some comments on the lens when I get some more experience with it. Meanwhile, I went out this morning an got a couple of hand-held shots. The autofocus and OIS are impressive

Both shots are taken at 400mm, auto focus, straight out of camera except for crop and rot on coot. Coot looks fairly good, robin is soft. Perhaps due to ISO of 250 and 1000 respectively. Coot is full auto exp, robin aperture priority.

C&C welcome.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000106cr.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	593390  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000193cr.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	593391  
DonB is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th July 2016, 05:28   #93
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I thought is was splash-proof

Niels
I knew i would get that answer the trouble is ime not,its that new lens thing give it a couple of weeks.
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th July 2016, 05:31   #94
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
My 100-400 came yesterday. It's my first Leica lens and I couldn't help bursting out into song..."Leica virgin...set the f stop, for the very first time" ;o0

I also got a new GX85, and learning the combo is a bit challenging. I'll have some comments on the lens when I get some more experience with it. Meanwhile, I went out this morning an got a couple of hand-held shots. The autofocus and OIS are impressive

Both shots are taken at 400mm, auto focus, straight out of camera except for crop and rot on coot. Coot looks fairly good, robin is soft. Perhaps due to ISO of 250 and 1000 respectively. Coot is full auto exp, robin aperture priority.

C&C welcome.

Don
The Coot is a cracking shot,the robin is not the fault of the lens or 1000 iso,it may be a combination of things,but you proved the lens with the Coot.
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th July 2016, 05:33   #95
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
One observation about the lens,as others have said the zoom is very stiff at the long end,ime hoping with the build of the GX8 it wont stress the mount when zooming.
nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th July 2016, 12:05   #96
nikonmike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: grimsby uk
Posts: 500
Just got a few practice shots today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040349.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	593406  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040288.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	593407  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040368.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	593408  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040519.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	593409  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040521.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	593410  

nikonmike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 29th July 2016, 16:25   #97
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portsmouth, Dominica
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
My 100-400 came yesterday. It's my first Leica lens and I couldn't help bursting out into song..."Leica virgin...set the f stop, for the very first time" ;o0

I also got a new GX85, and learning the combo is a bit challenging. I'll have some comments on the lens when I get some more experience with it. Meanwhile, I went out this morning an got a couple of hand-held shots. The autofocus and OIS are impressive

Both shots are taken at 400mm, auto focus, straight out of camera except for crop and rot on coot. Coot looks fairly good, robin is soft. Perhaps due to ISO of 250 and 1000 respectively. Coot is full auto exp, robin aperture priority.

C&C welcome.

Don
Don,
what was the shutter time on the robin? I suspect that it was a bit on the long side.

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th July 2016, 21:18   #98
Swissboy
Registered User
 
Swissboy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sempach, Switzerland
Posts: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
The Coot is a cracking shot,....,but you proved the lens with the Coot.
Fully agree. Incredible quality!
__________________
Robert
--PS: That's a Sooty Falcon on the avatar, photo taken near Sharm el Sheik, Egypt. My highest priority raptor at the time.
What's your species on the avatar? I often have no clue
!
Swissboy is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th July 2016, 22:40   #99
DonB
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tura Beach, NSW
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Don,
what was the shutter time on the robin? I suspect that it was a bit on the long side.

Niels
Hi Niels,

Not long, 1/640, same as the coot.
DonB is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 30th July 2016, 01:32   #100
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portsmouth, Dominica
Posts: 20,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Hi Niels,

Not long, 1/640, same as the coot.
Then it has to be a focusing issue. As other has stated, that coot looks really good.

Niels
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean
njlarsen is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a new 300 or 400mm lens for a D90 flanken Nikon 21 Tuesday 31st August 2010 19:41
Problems at Leica? / Leica APO 62 / Lens coatings. WCA Leica 1 Tuesday 31st July 2007 16:48

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.26655293 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13.