• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of prey to deter pigeons (1 Viewer)

Christoff55

HI im new to this forum. I am having a hard time with pigeons in my balcony. They poo around making a mess and the noise, just can’t take it. I tried pulling down their nests and then closed my balcony. They found a very good place in the attic and things start to get worse. Oh! Its such a pain in the neck. Looking out for solutions I recently came across a bird removal service in Toronto that use birds of prey to flee other bird pest. Do you know how effective this kind of a method is? I would like to give it a try. Looking forward to your valuable ideas and suggestions.

Hi,

I know of several companies here in the UK that use birds of prey (mainly Harris Hawks) to deter / remove pigeons from commercial premises. These seem to be quite successful on sites such as bus garages, factory premises etc. I wouldn't like to say how effective this type of service would be for a domestic premises.

Some people try things like model owls or other birds of prey, but these soon become ineffective. As the models don't move, the birds soon get used to their presence, even using them as perches. There are a number of commercially available devices to deter pigeons from perching, such as spike strips, but again these aren't fool-proof.

The only other thing I can think of is to contact your local Environmental Health department. They may be able to give you some advice or help to deter them. They can be very persistent, though. Good luck!

Cheers

I'm not sure about the effects of falconry deterring pigeons , but I have seen people in my area using bird shaped pigeon scares for the problem. They are shaped like raptors and are attached to string , which you tie high up and the wind blows the bird around to look like it is moving in a circle. I have seen a few people use them , so I'd say they can be effective. They are also good because you don't have to hurt or kill the pigeons , and I'd say they would be much cheaper than getting a falconer out. Hope you fix your problem! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back