• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange-breasted or Grey-headed Bush-Shrike??? (1 Viewer)

Hanko von Schlichting

Hello,
I recently took this slightly unimpressive photo in the Kruger Park, South Africa, but was still hoping to identify this bird, even though the head can't exactly be seen. I've narrowed it down to either the Orange-breasted Bush-Shrike or the Grey-headed Bush-Shrike. (I'm leaning toward the latter).

Your help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 58
Basically the "Jizz" and appearance. Also the bill is smaller and sharper! Like the saying goes, you will know it when you see it. GH is a much more massive looking bird. Did you by any chance hear the call?

From this angle it is far from certain in my humble opinion. I saw both in June and without a head view it is not easy to tell. Grey-headed has got a longer and slightly thinner bill and in my photos, the orange goes deeper onto the chest. If I had to choose, I would tend towards Grey-headed.

Are the lores white?

Welcome to Birdforum Hanko

Last edited:
For me this isn't as easy as it ought to be, thanks to the angle! Grey-headed has a massive bill compared to Orange-breasted when seen laterally, but what about from directly below like this? The bill looks quite long to me too, suggesting maybe it could be Grey-headed. I'm on the fence.

<but what about from directly below like this?>
Yeah! Why do Field guides never show from this angle which is how we often see them? Does anyone know what colour the undertail should be?
I still go with my first 'call' as when I saw the photo nothing else came to mind as it looks just like the OBs I have seen often. Only seen a GH once but never forgotten its 'massive' build.

I am leaning towards Grey-headed Bushshrike too. Based on length of bill, the bit of light grey that appears on side of head that reminds of the light grey lores of GHB, and the underside of the tail. Compare with these photos:
Orange-breasted
Grey-headed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back