• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hunters (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Cold and grey and cloud from ridge to ridge and in the frigid air along the triple wires a hundred birds space themselves in equidistant blips.
Forty Mistle Thrushes and fifty Starlings heavy on the lines and several Linnets and Goldfinches twittering. Chaffinches from nearby trees join the crowded wires. Rooks on stone walls sitting like black cats. Stillness and quiet and a little cold breeze.
Suddenly the Swallows skimming the grass begin to alarm - crescendo rising as they head for the low sky. And there, head on and fast, whipping its wings towards the crowd: a Hobby.
Amongst them before they could take flight and flee the falcon spins above and then drops toward a Goldfinch still perched and separate on the wire. At the last it finds its wings and dives from the Hobby and, too close to the wire, the falcon has to swerve to make another attack - the finch tries to flee. But the Hobby flicks its flexible primaries twice and doubles its speed.
Half a second later and the falcon is within reach but the finch makes a jink and avoids the snatch. The Hobby turns and accelerates away, rising towards the Swallows swirling above.
The air fills with birds: all those from the wires and many flocks more - finches bunching and heading away. Rooks and Crows follow the falcon but it speeds away towards the trees - turning back down the valley and is gone.
Now the birds have dispersed - scattered and hidden.

Out along the marshy lane the willow herb spires spike purple in drifts and gorse in buds hugs the slopes. At the ridge top the heather at its purple best brightens the dull day.
Bullfinches nip at ripe rowen berries and Spotted Flycatcher dart for the few flies flying in the cold air. The trees are quiet - a single Song Thrush hides low amongst the sprawling brambles, discreet.
Brown Hares break from the woods and canter upslope as a Kestrel parachutes to thump a vole in the wet grass. It takes its prey and harries a Buzzard before caching it in a stone wall.
Two Lesser Redpolls fly off and Meadow Pipits flicker along the path.

Then sharp calls of a Little Owl's alarm rises from a cleft in the land as a Brown Hare scampers, ears flattened along its back and once again the Hobby is coming head on above the trees.
It passes quickly and turns toward the plantation against the ridge. Finches are spiraling and the falcon darts at the pine tops in an arc.
The falcon carries on over the ridge and along - finally visible again out east before it vanishes for good above the hill.

A cold light rain slaps the day's end. The birding is done.

Last edited:
Another beautifully crafted post H2. Yes... that is, indeed, autumn!

The Rowan berries seemed to ripen early here this year and really look beautiful just now. Hopefully I'll see plenty of birds feasting on them.

Some stunning descriptions, H. I particularly like the frigid air ... Rooks on stone walls sitting like black cats ... the willow herb spires spike purple in drifts and gorse in buds hugs the slopes ... a Kestrel parachutes to thump a vole ... Meadow Pipits flicker along the path ... A cold light rain slaps the day's end.

Magical.

I went back today and incredibly saw a Hobby at the same place! Even better I was telling some incredulous local birders about yesterday's sighting as it appeared on cue!!

Brilliant! They probably thought you were a hobby whisperer!

And yes, it is blooming cold. We put the heating back on this week.

Hi H2...

Glad to read that you've been watching our favourite raptor....!

I attach a few pix of my Hobbies as i know you'll be interested...[male/female/juv]...:cat:

Our breeding male this season appears to be a second calendar year bird...[see photo]....

I'm not sure how rare or common this is...do you know...?

I had considered that this male might just be a helper but its the only one i've seen so....:smoke:

Hope you are well....:t:

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• _I3A2929.jpg
    _I3A2929.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 59
  • _I3A2789.jpg
    _I3A2789.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 017 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    017 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
Hey up , U.

I'm currently in Devon - a few days away, via the Cotswolds - where I saw Hobby twice.
No don't know how common 2nd c y birds breeding are - interesting!

H

Well met, stranger; this was very well written, halftwo! |=)|

This entry just gave me an idea. Although I'm new to birding, I've written poetry for many years. The way you described your catch today is an inspiration, to me, to express that in my own way.

I hope you do this often (it sounds like you do.) I'm looking forward to reading your next anecdotes! Very fun read.

Hope all is well; good health and luck. |;|

Hi ruhroe,

Thanks very much - always good to hear others enjoying my output.
My next piece is already on the forum.

Yesterday I met the same couple who had seen the Hobby with me - they hadn't seen one since. A minute later I saw it again at the same place!
I coudn't re-find them to let them know!

All the best.

H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back