Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 20:37   #1
SUPPRESSOR
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cornwall
Posts: 350
impressions on the Canon 10x42L IS

My Canon 10x42s arrived today all the way from Hong Kong taking just 4,working days to arrive and costing 812 including delivery,not a bad price for a new pair of bins of such quality.

Kimmo has written a first class review of this model and as far as the optics go I have nothing to add, they do indeed offer a first class image.

I have read that other people who have tried these binoculars have had issues with the eye cups and both the rain guard and objective covers so I was a bit concerned I might find the same.But I am pleased to say this was not the case.
I don't wear glasses so have the eye cups fully extended and they offer me a perfect fit and feel with no blackouts they fit so snuggly that eye placement is spot on every time.
The rain guard is of very good quality fits nicely and does not fall off even when the bins are turned upside down.
The objective cover is of the same high quality and it can be a bit of a faff to fit on properly , but, if one takes the trouble to fit in on snug it stays put as it should.
The supplied neck strap is also of a high standard and I find it comfortable.

Another nice surprise was how good and steady the image is without the image stabilizer turned on,as good as any binocular I have had and I have had all the top models at one time or another.

So if you are thinking about having one of these binoculars try and spend a bit of time looking through one they might just fit you too,on the other hand if you are only able to manage binoculars that weigh the same as a sparrows breast feather don't bother!!

Suppressor.
SUPPRESSOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 20:41   #2
kkokkolis
Περίεργος τηι φύσηι
 
kkokkolis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Piraeus, Greece
Posts: 406
Quote:
Another nice surprise was how good and steady the image is without the image stabilizer turned on,as good as any binocular I have had and I have had all the top models at one time or another.
Can you be more specific? When you say "top", do you mean that the 10x42 equals an alpha class Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski? Specifically regarding color aberrations and sweet spot size?

I see that it is as heavy as the 18x50 is, which I have (and a 12x36 also). I'm happy with the 18x50 (after all it is a porro, with field flattener and UD glass and all). What would one gain with the 10x42 over the 18x50 which has higher resolution? Except the bigger exit pupil, since you get an even bigger with a good 8x42?
__________________
Konstantinos

My Optics

Last edited by kkokkolis : Tuesday 22nd September 2015 at 20:47.
kkokkolis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 20:53   #3
dipped
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: suffolk
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPPRESSOR View Post
My Canon 10x42s arrived today all the way from Hong Kong taking just 4,working days to arrive and costing 812 including delivery,not a bad price for a new pair of bins of such quality.

Suppressor.
Congrats Suppressor - I'm sure that when and if I get another pair of bins it will be an IS pair.

Was there no import duty? Who did you use to purchase them?

I know a couple of tour guides use these so perhaps they will gradually become more common.
dipped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 20:56   #4
SUPPRESSOR
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cornwall
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkokkolis View Post
Can you be more specific? When you say "top", do you mean that the 10x42 equals an alpha class Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski? Specifically regarding color aberrations and sweet spot size?

I see that it is as heavy as the 18x50 is, which I have (and a 12x36 also). I'm happy with the 18x50 (after all it is a porro, with field flattener and UD glass and all). What would one gain with the 10x42 over the 18x50 which has higher resolution? Except the bigger exit pupil, since you get an even bigger with a good 8x42?
Hi,
Read Kimmo's review on the 10x42 I think his reviews are as good as they get,but,yes I think they give an alpha image.
suppressor.
SUPPRESSOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2015, 21:00   #5
SUPPRESSOR
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cornwall
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
Congrats Suppressor - I'm sure that when and if I get another pair of bins it will be an IS pair.

Was there no import duty? Who did you use to purchase them?

I know a couple of tour guides use these so perhaps they will gradually become more common.
Hi,
No import duty.
Expedite electronics . Now down to 809!!
suppressor
SUPPRESSOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd November 2015, 21:37   #6
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPPRESSOR View Post
...yes I think they give an alpha image...suppressor.
Suppressor,

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th November 2015, 20:03   #7
Hermann
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?
If you just look at the amount of detail you get, even the lowly Canon 10x30 runs circles around your SV 10x50 (and ANY other 10x binocular that isn't stabilized).

Hermann
Hermann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 12th November 2015, 04:33   #8
Rathaus
Registered User
 
Rathaus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Suppressor,

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer!

Ted
This particular Canon is unbelievable. I've been comparing it to the markets best alphas for years. It outperforms my alpha zeiss, 8, 8.5SV and even the fujinon in numerous areas. Sharper to the edge (never ever seen an edge like this...totally different class even to Fuji and SV), larger apfov, and a better solution to a flat field (you never even think about it). It's control of glare is in another league to the SVs. It's a sunset monster. It's resolution and contrast are simply not exceeded. Imo this redline canon is one of the best glass ever made, it's just that its a plasticky brick!...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

....but then when you engage IS....the other alphas are finished, even if it is a brick.

I'd like to see the old redline cannon go up against the new SF...optically and technically id wager my money on the plastic brick...and that's without engaging its Jedi mind trick IS.

And yes, the instructions do say to get a bucket of fresh water and to fully immerse the cannons to clean them.

A great Bino for sitting elbows propped on a balcony table...or a camping table.

Another popular mod with this bino is to screw two or three filter rings (glass removed ) into each objective to give the outer glass objectives (false themselves) a little more set back and protection. Also, if you cleanly slice off the rubber objective cover's remove assist rubber nodules/flaps which will stop them getting caught on the case every time you pull this bin in or out of its case. They also seem to snap more cleanly into the empty filter rings than originally otherwise.


Rathaus

Last edited by Rathaus : Thursday 12th November 2015 at 06:11.
Rathaus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 13th November 2015, 12:57   #9
SUPPRESSOR
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: cornwall
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Suppressor,

I understand you had and sold the 12x50 SV, and now have the 10x42L IS. I own and use the 10x50SV, but also thinking of picking up a Canon 10x42L. Optically, do you think the Canon would be equal to the gorgeous, easy on the eyes, optical quality and excellent FOV of the Swaro I have?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions you can offer!

Ted
Hi Ted,
Yes I did have the 12x50 SV and it is a great binocular I P/E it for the new 10x42 Zeiss SF was,is,the Zeiss SF a better binocular no I don't think so,as good optically ,but,build wise I was not so happy.

Yes I still have the Canon 10x42L and it is as good as the very best birding binoculars I have ever looked through and thats before you engage the IS,something I don't do that often,but,when I do I am always impressed with it.

I have the binoculars hanging round my neck for four or five hours at a time with no discomfort and I find them very nice to hold.Solid build and useful if someone tried to mugg you!!!
suppressor.
SUPPRESSOR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 24th November 2016, 02:52   #10
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPPRESSOR View Post
Hi Ted,
Yes I did have the 12x50 SV and it is a great binocular I P/E it for the new 10x42 Zeiss SF was,is,the Zeiss SF a better binocular no I don't think so,as good optically ,but,build wise I was not so happy.

Yes I still have the Canon 10x42L and it is as good as the very best birding binoculars I have ever looked through and thats before you engage the IS,something I don't do that often,but,when I do I am always impressed with it.

I have the binoculars hanging round my neck for four or five hours at a time with no discomfort and I find them very nice to hold.Solid build and useful if someone tried to mugg you!!!
suppressor.
A little late, but Thanks to everyone (especially Suppressor) for your input!

After much adieu, have a new 10x42L IS arriving next week (Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas present)!! B&H has a holiday exchange\return period till Feb1, 2017, thus have plenty of time to evaluate and compare to my arsenal of non-IS binos...should be very interesting!!!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 28th November 2016, 22:38   #11
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
This particular Canon is unbelievable...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

Rathaus
Rathaus,

What criteria has been discussed for "proper storage" to maintain a healthy IS in the 10x42L!?

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 28th November 2016, 22:50   #12
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
This particular Canon is unbelievable. I've been comparing it to the markets best alphas for years. It outperforms my alpha zeiss, 8, 8.5SV and even the fujinon in numerous areas. Sharper to the edge (never ever seen an edge like this...totally different class even to Fuji and SV), larger apfov, and a better solution to a flat field (you never even think about it). It's control of glare is in another league to the SVs. It's a sunset monster. It's resolution and contrast are simply not exceeded. Imo this redline canon is one of the best glass ever made, it's just that its a plasticky brick!...with that IS which has been known to be erratic depending on how the bin is stored...or treated.

....but then when you engage IS....the other alphas are finished, even if it is a brick.

I'd like to see the old redline cannon go up against the new SF...optically and technically id wager my money on the plastic brick...and that's without engaging its Jedi mind trick IS.

And yes, the instructions do say to get a bucket of fresh water and to fully immerse the cannons to clean them.

A great Bino for sitting elbows propped on a balcony table...or a camping table.

Another popular mod with this bino is to screw two or three filter rings (glass removed ) into each objective to give the outer glass objectives (false themselves) a little more set back and protection. Also, if you cleanly slice off the rubber objective cover's remove assist rubber nodules/flaps which will stop them getting caught on the case every time you pull this bin in or out of its case. They also seem to snap more cleanly into the empty filter rings than originally otherwise.


Rathaus
Hi Rathaus,
Agree entirely on the idea of adding hoods to the Canon.
I found that 52mm lens hoods are cheap and effective.
I'd be happier if they were hard rubber rather than aluminum, but could not find any that did not widen after the fitting.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th November 2016, 22:55   #13
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Rathaus,

What criteria has been discussed for "proper storage" to maintain a healthy IS in the 10x42L!?

Ted
It seems that the Canons like to be stored flat, rather than upright.
So I just use the strap to cushion them and protect the dresser top, with the tripod fitting side down.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th November 2016, 21:34   #14
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Talking Great Deal!

FYI, Canon 10x42L IS new buy@ 45% off MSRP. Only 2 1\2 hrs left!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 30th November 2016, 22:42   #15
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
FYI, Canon 10x42L IS new buy@ 45% off MSRP. Only 2 1\2 hrs left!

Ted
Excellent, hope this is an indication that an enhanced mark 2 series is coming.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th November 2016, 22:47   #16
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Excellent, hope this is an indication that an enhanced mark 2 series is coming.
Actually, I believe it is just a "flash holiday special" that is to end in about an hour! However, after 11 years of virtually no change to the overall design (my manual still has a 2005 print date), a 10x42L IS II would be welcomed!!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 1st December 2016, 00:49   #17
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
FYI, Canon 10x42L IS new buy@ 45% off MSRP. Only 2 1\2 hrs left!

Ted
Updated...the $1099.99 special is now good through Thursday AM @ midnight Eastern (about another 4 hours)!!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 5th December 2016, 18:21   #18
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 205
It's coming up as discontinued on a number of interweb sites, is it game over ?

Last edited by maico : Monday 5th December 2016 at 18:23.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 5th December 2016, 18:36   #19
Binastro
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.England
Posts: 3,286
Hi maico,
Is it just 10x42 L or all models?
Binastro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 5th December 2016, 19:54   #20
bdg1
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
I use a Canon 12x36 IS II and couldn't stop myself from buying the 42 IS. I also have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 in terms of image quality the Canon 12x36 is close with little softness compared to Zeiss, but when IS is engaged, its right at onpar with Zeiss if not better. I have put 12x36 on sale now and planning to give away my Zeiss conquest HD as a gift to a family member, with 10x42 IS as my one and only primary binoculars. Less gear and less clutter.
bdg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 03:32   #21
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
It's coming up as discontinued on a number of interweb sites, is it game over ?
Maico,

The Canon 10x42L IS is still at B&H of New York, and still on a deep discount!

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 06:30   #22
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,738
There is no discount on them at Eagle Optics. They are offered for $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...l-wp-binocular

Although on the Canon collection listing page the price shown goes from $1699.99 to $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...noculars/canon

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 12:39   #23
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
There is no discount on them at Eagle Optics. They are offered for $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...l-wp-binocular

Although on the Canon collection listing page the price shown goes from $1699.99 to $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...noculars/canon

Bob
Now $1099 from Amazon as well.
It does seem like a clearance sale of the model, even though neither Amazon nor B&H have so indicated.
Maybe a Mk 2 introduction at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January?
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 14:27   #24
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Now $1099 from Amazon as well.
It does seem like a clearance sale of the model, even though neither Amazon nor B&H have so indicated.
Maybe a Mk 2 introduction at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January?
Yep,

Here at Canon 10x42L and now at Canon 10x42L !
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th December 2016, 15:54   #25
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
 
Theo98's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE La
Posts: 723
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
There is no discount on them at Eagle Optics. They are offered for $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...l-wp-binocular

Although on the Canon collection listing page the price shown goes from $1699.99 to $1999.00.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/collecti...noculars/canon

Bob
EO (since Ben Lizdas has gone) has changed their corporate pricing philosophy, Bob. Even after stating Amazon, B&H and Adorama has current 45% off sales, won't "price match" and all they will do is drop $100 off the full $2K MSRP.

Even the USA Canon store has the 10x42L at 20% off retail, EO sales didn't seem to care!

Bye, Bye EO...

Ted
__________________
Seeing is Believing ...Believing without Seeing is...FAITH!

Last edited by Theo98 : Tuesday 6th December 2016 at 15:59.
Theo98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kimmo's Review of 10x42L IS dipped Canon 10 Tuesday 22nd January 2013 20:34
300/2.8 First Impressions Roy C Canon 58 Sunday 13th September 2009 21:40
First impressions with a 40D. senatore Canon 13 Wednesday 12th March 2008 17:30
Impressions. NIK III Birds & Birding 14 Thursday 30th November 2006 07:37
First Impressions mESH Say Hello 12 Wednesday 3rd August 2005 16:28

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.25069594 seconds with 35 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:49.