Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 5th November 2015, 02:17   #1
gcole

Leica Televid 62 APO Angled ???

Recently we purchased a Televid 62 APO out of curiosity from a individual who apparently never used it. At least it looks unused & it came with the latest zoom for that period. The serial number is 2226937 & was sold in 2006. Can anyone tell us what year they discontinued these & the manufacturing date from the serial number. Also has anyone ever been able to attach & focus correctly any other manufactures eyepieces, either by directly inserting into the ocular port or by screwing to the outside threads located on the end of the ocular port. Thanks to another member across the pond we will be getting the 16x & 26x eyepieces to also try. The unused stay on case that also came with it has to be one of the most well built I have ever seen. Not only is the case well built but its a perfect fit. I must say this is the first spotting scope I have ever hesitated in handling, I find myself just wanting to put it back in its protective box to make sure it stays in its pristine condtion ...... gwen
Old Saturday 7th November 2015, 19:41   #2
Rotherbirder

Hi Gwen,
Unlike Swarovski, I fear that Leica provide no clues to the date of manufacture via their serial numbers; contact Leica directly who may be able to answer your query.

The APO62 is indeed an awesome scope which can still give current models of all brands a good run for their money! Even on the 62, the zoom provides superb images and is more than good enough at 48x. I have no experience of the 16x eyepiece but the 26x WW (30x) is a fantastic fixed mag lens if you can find one. Enjoy your 'new' scope; it should give years of peerless birding!

Last edited by Rotherbirder : Saturday 7th November 2015 at 19:44.
Old Friday 13th November 2015, 13:08   #3
SUPPRESSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Recently we purchased a Televid 62 APO out of curiosity from a individual who apparently never used it. At least it looks unused & it came with the latest zoom for that period. The serial number is 2226937 & was sold in 2006. Can anyone tell us what year they discontinued these & the manufacturing date from the serial number. Also has anyone ever been able to attach & focus correctly any other manufactures eyepieces, either by directly inserting into the ocular port or by screwing to the outside threads located on the end of the ocular port. Thanks to another member across the pond we will be getting the 16x & 26x eyepieces to also try. The unused stay on case that also came with it has to be one of the most well built I have ever seen. Not only is the case well built but its a perfect fit. I must say this is the first spotting scope I have ever hesitated in handling, I find myself just wanting to put it back in its protective box to make sure it stays in its pristine condtion ...... gwen
2007 I think they were last made so yours is one of the later units.
I too have one with the zoom ocular and a very nice bit of kit it is.
suppressor.
Old Friday 13th November 2015, 16:18   #4
gcole

Thanks to everyone. A special thanks to Steven who was able to supply me with the 20(16x) & 32(26x) fixed eyepieces. Yes... the 26x on the 62 Televid is awesome. I am not a real big fan of zoom eyepieces, but the Televid's zoom is nice ...... gwen
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: