Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 12th January 2016, 11:48   #1
Steve Waite
What you looking at?

Which do I buy? FZ200 or FZ330

First and foremost, I am a bridge camera kinda guy, they really work for me, I enjoy using them and am happy with the results I get. Also I am a Panasonic fan, but sadly my DMC FZ35 has finally given up.

I've spent ages looking at what I should go for now, taking into consideration the fact I have rather limited funds. And I am stuck between the FZ200 (which I can get for about 220) and the FZ330 (at about 340).

All I'm trying to gauge is is the FZ330 worth the extra 110? If it is then I will happily go for it, but if it can't be justified then I don't want to waste the money. I do like the fact I connect the 330 to wifi, that it's water and sand proof and the new touch screen. But when it comes to taking photos, it looks to me like quality between the two is pretty much the same.

Any comments or advice welcome, especially from anyone who has owned both cameras.

Best wishes

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th January 2016, 14:28   #2
The-Wanderer

if you are stuck for funds, you might find an fz150 used. I never found the need to upgrade for birding.
Old Monday 9th May 2016, 05:50   #3
rka
ttbirds

Just went through the same comparison myself. I live in the tropics so any weather sealing is welcome. Also the video in FZ330 is superior. Still quality probably marginally better on later camera due to new engine but not by much. Also there was an issue with the FZ200 of the thumbwheel that was a bit dicey and replaced in the 330 with a better knob.

With all that said, while I am buying the 330, would be very happy also with the 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Waite View Post
First and foremost, I am a bridge camera kinda guy, they really work for me, I enjoy using them and am happy with the results I get. Also I am a Panasonic fan, but sadly my DMC FZ35 has finally given up.

I've spent ages looking at what I should go for now, taking into consideration the fact I have rather limited funds. And I am stuck between the FZ200 (which I can get for about 220) and the FZ330 (at about 340).

All I'm trying to gauge is is the FZ330 worth the extra 110? If it is then I will happily go for it, but if it can't be justified then I don't want to waste the money. I do like the fact I connect the 330 to wifi, that it's water and sand proof and the new touch screen. But when it comes to taking photos, it looks to me like quality between the two is pretty much the same.

Any comments or advice welcome, especially from anyone who has owned both cameras.

Best wishes
Old Wednesday 11th May 2016, 22:09   #4
peter hill

I had the fz35 then moved to the fz 150 ,this was a improvement have now steeped up to the fz 330 and this is another step up ,not had the 200 but the 330 is a great camera
Old Thursday 15th December 2016, 19:43   #5
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rka View Post
................. Also there was an issue with the FZ200 of the thumbwheel that was a bit dicey ...........
I had not been aware of this until it happened to me a week ago. Very annoying indeed. Suddenly, my exposure compensation was stuck at minus two (glad it did not happen at plus five or so). Thus resulting in somewhat underexposed shots. Using the "donkey" setting IA (like the call of a donkey in German) actually "intelligent autoexposure, I managed to get around to some extent at first. But it's not a feasible way in the long run as it curtails creativity. And if one wants to have it repaired after warranty has run out, it's going to cost so much as to make this a rather stupid looking decision. But then, with every generation, this FZ series has become larger and heavier. And I think the 300 series has gone too high for my liking. So far, I'm trying to get by with the circumvention method, using the trash can cum quick menu button. A method found in the internet.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Thursday 15th December 2016 at 19:45.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th January 2017, 21:18   #6
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
......... So far, I'm trying to get by with the circumvention method, using the trash can cum quick menu button. A method found in the internet.
I just returned from a birding and wildlife watching tour in Uganda. I had decided to use this camera despite the thumbwheel problem. In the end, I think I managed reasonably well with the "trash can" method. Though every now and then I get mixed up and need a bit more time to get back to the routine. So I missed a few shots, but no critical ones, I think.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: