• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Krabi Thailand - sunbird and tailorbird (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi all,

Only saw this first bird (2 pics) from the back - not the angle of most id pictures! I first thought maybe it was a Copper-throated Sunbird (obviously no throat to be seen!). Then I considered the yellow feet! What do you think?

The second is also at a not so helpful angle - a tailorbird which I assume is Common Tailorbird, but there are several types here. Can you confirm that's the right one?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Krabi 1.jpg
    Krabi 1.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Krabi 1a.jpg
    Krabi 1a.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 118
  • tailorbird.jpg
    tailorbird.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 137
Gretchen,

1. Immature male Brown-throated Sunbird? Juveniles have yellow legs/feet so yellow feet are a sign of immaturity. Certainly couldn't rule out Red-throated from these images but I think the species is absent at Krabi.
2. Common Tailorbird. (Dark-necked has yellow under tail coverts.)

Grahame

Hi Grahame, thanks for the replies. From OBC pics, I see that even adult male Brown-throated can have yellow feet, and I think the light highlights on the wings and cheek seem to match, so that looks like a good call. My only question is if we should see more of the light/yellow vent from this angle....

Hi, I have a few more here |=)|

1) We watched 2 tailorbirds feeding a fledgling, and I thought they were Common, but the one picture we got of the adult shows a yellow vent - do these guys look like Dark-throated then?

2) There was a tree full of sunbirds and flowerpeckers. Only got shots of a few. I believe that the first is a female - I think the grey head means she's not Olive backed Sunbird. What seems best?

3) This other shot, not great, seems like it is a female Orange-bellied Flowerpecker - just looking for confirmation. I saw the male very briefly, and no photo |=(|

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• young tailorbird.jpg
    young tailorbird.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 66
  • tailorbird parent.jpg
    tailorbird parent.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 60
  • sunbird.jpg
    sunbird.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 68
  • flowerpecker.jpg
    flowerpecker.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 64
Gretchen,

1 & 2 Dark-necked Tailorbird; yellow vent confirms this.
3 Female Ruby-cheeked Sunbird . I think the greyish caste to the head is more to do with the light.
4 Female Orange-bellied Flowerpecker

Grahame

Thanks Grahame! One of the features I noted when I saw the sunbird, and in this photo too, was the light feathers around the eyes - do you think that's important?

Thanks Grahame! One of the features I noted when I saw the sunbird, and in this photo too, was the light feathers around the eyes - do you think that's important?

Looking at the bird again I think it is a female Brown-throated, which would explain the pale area around the eyes. I misjudged the colour of the breast which is clearly a bright yellow rather than reddish-orange as in Ruby-throated.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=24&Bird_ID=2122&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back