Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 18th February 2016, 01:04   #1
gcole

Pentax PR 65/80 ED Spotting Scope ?

Has any one actually had one in hand or seen the elusive Pentax PR 65 or 80mm ED spotting scope. Online I see its advertised/sold across the pond but not here in the states. Does this newer version of the Pentax PF ED scope actually exist ?
Old Thursday 18th February 2016, 08:43   #2
giosblue

The PR 80ED is available here in the UK to order, but not the PR65ED. I e-mailed Ricoh and the PR 65ED wasn't on the list of scopes available. The PF65mm was though. Maybe they want to sell all the old models off first, I don't know. It's a pity, because it looks like a nice scope.

Ron

Last edited by giosblue : Thursday 18th February 2016 at 08:53.
Old Thursday 18th February 2016, 13:06   #3
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post
The PR 80ED is available here in the UK to order, but not the PR65ED. I e-mailed Ricoh and the PR 65ED wasn't on the list of scopes available. The PF65mm was though. Maybe they want to sell all the old models off first, I don't know. It's a pity, because it looks like a nice scope.

Ron
Hi Ron, You are probably right about Rioch wanting to deplete all its remaining older scopes.
Old Saturday 20th February 2016, 11:23   #4
St. Elmo

Three years to sell off old stock seems wholly reasonable...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=257152
Old Saturday 20th February 2016, 13:56   #5
giosblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elmo View Post
Three years to sell off old stock seems wholly reasonable...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=257152
I must admit it does seem like a long time. At this rate they'll be bringing out a new scope before they've sold any of the PR65mm's

I don't think anybody knows what Pentax are doing with their scopes at the moment. They don't seem to be readily available anywhere.
There have been lots of price reductions, I think at some places it's selling for about half it's original price

It's a pity, because the PF65ed is a cracking little scope.
Old Sunday 21st February 2016, 14:07   #6
John Dracon
John Dracon

Have both Pentax 80 & 50 mm ED scopes in new condition - have XW eyepieces - ill health is forcing me to sell entire collection -
John
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 13:17   #7
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by giosblue View Post

Ron
Since the revised/newer Pentax PR series Doublet ED 65 & 80mm spotting scopes were announced, I have been wanting to get my hands on one and I just might ? I was able to find a site called " Astro Shop.EU " who listed them on their website. I ordered the 65mm version package with the XL zoom. for $733.89 shipped to the states. Lead time states 1-2 weeks. Since they excepted my PayPal payment and their sites says shipping to the United States , I really hope I will get this and not a e-mail later on stating not available. If this does arrive, I will post my thoughts.
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 14:26   #8
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Since the revised/newer Pentax PR series Doublet ED 65 & 80mm spotting scopes were announced, I have been wanting to get my hands on one and I just might ? I was able to find a site called " Astro Shop.EU " who listed them on their website. I ordered the 65mm version package with the XL zoom. for $733.89 shipped to the states. Lead time states 1-2 weeks. Since they excepted my PayPal payment and their sites says shipping to the United States , I really hope I will get this and not a e-mail later on stating not available. If this does arrive, I will post my thoughts.
WOW ... That was fast, so much for the lead time. Just got a e-mail saying scope has been shipped with UPS tracking #. Looks like I will be getting my hands on one.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: